Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
nichols617

Default Stalling with no warning

By the process of elimination I'm trying to find out why I'm getting stalling with no warning. I 've cleaned the sediment bowl and screen, replaced the coil and now I have the carb apart. There is about half full float bowl and the float doesn't appear to be sticking. There were some very fine particles in the bottom of the float bowl. After the truck sits for about 5 minutes it will start but then die. Any ideas? Should I soak the carb for cleaning?
Stu
nichols617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Stalling with no warning

A fuel pressure output test from the fuel pump would tell if the fuel system is working to that point. If there is some crud in the idle circuit of the carb, that could cause poor idling. If the condenser is open or leaking that could cause a weak or no spark condition. From there it would be a cylinder compression check. You'll just have to determine if its either not getting spark or not getting fuel. Compression check will make sure the engine innards are functioning normally.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
GreenMonster48

Your float might be too low or the fuel pump isn't keeping up with the demand for gas.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
George/Maine

I had problem with stalling with my f1.I drained the tank put friesh gas and still had same problem.I guess the dirt that was in the tank plugged the carb filter solid.I put new filter and new gas line" that maynot be nessary".I running a 302v8.I also took tank out and clean best i could.Runs good now.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Displayman

Check to see if you have any slightly kinked rubber fuel line hose to your metal line.
From under gas tank to metal line, or from metal fuel before fuel pump.
When fuel pump gets going slight kink would close off. Just a possiblty.

Bob- Hampshire, Illinois
Displayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Flathead Fever

During the five-minutes that it will not start, you have a great opportunity to find out if this is a fuel or an ignition problem. When it quits, give it a little shot of starting fluid and if it starts up and you can keep it running by spraying starting fluid in it then it is not an ignition problem. Starter fluid or a small bottle of propane is your best friend when it comes to rapidly determining if your no-start problem is fuel related.
The fact that it shuts off without any warning makes me think that this is an ignition problem. I hate to see people waste there hard earned money by just randomly replacing parts. Every automotive enthusiast needs to buy a voltmeter and learn how to use it. They are really easy to use and it will eliminate all the guessing. Spend an afternoon playing with one and you will take your automotive diagnosing skills to a whole new level.

Jerry
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote