Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #1
shoe box Jack

Default mice

To day I got the 49 out of storage I had the cars inside full of bounce sheets as well under the hood and the trunk. In the trunk the bounce sheets where chewed up and there was a nest in the trunk ? any ideas . jack the rest of the car was good.
shoe box Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
RalphM

Default Re: mice

The bounce sheets make really good nesting material for the mice.
There is a thread on here somewhere about all of the different ways to try to keep mice out of your car. I personally think the best way is to have a good cat.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
flatford8

I think once the scent from the bounce sheets goes away, they make great nesting material as said above. I use a packet sold at camper supply places and snap traps with peanut butter. You have to be vigilant cleaning the traps to prevent a rotting carcass and be able to get all the dead ones relatives..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
34pickup

Don't use poison. I found quite a few dead corpses in the spare tire well of one of my cars when I put poison out a few years back. They had been there for a while by the smell.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
G.M.

I have a lady friend with a big sail boat that had rats on it.
She has a light on a timer and says that keeps them away. G.M.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
grumppyoldman

I've been using a product called Fresh Cab in my cars and camper trailer for a couple of years, been working so far. Found it at Ace hardware. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:54 PM   #7
Aarongriffey

The $20 sound making things work great.
I have on in the attic. Haven’t heard any more chewing for five years....since I put it up there.
I also have one in the garage that to me is silent.
No mice in several years.
If you want to kill the bastards put down a dish of Coca Cola. Rodents can’t burp, they’ll bust a gut. Pests will not be harmed by it. They’ll just burp and go for more.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #8
AnthonyG

Poison to use is Tomcat. They eat it & immediately go look for water. Make sure none available inside & they go outside looking & die. Been using for 5 yrs & no rodents in any vehicles. Was getting Chipmunks in my cars I park outside. Put a block under seat and stopped finding acorns & dropping in the outside cars too! I’ve tried all the earth friendly methods & none work consistantly in the woods where I am. Tomcat works!

Last edited by AnthonyG; 04-28-2020 at 08:33 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #9
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongriffey View Post
I have on in the attic. Haven’t heard any more chewing for five years....since I put it up there.
If you want to kill the bastards put down a dish of Coca Cola. Rodents can’t burp, they’ll bust a gut. Pests will not be harmed by it. They’ll just burp and go for more.

As I understand, it's the carbonation that allegedly busts their guts. Once the Coca Cola goes flat it's just a sweet liquid. Repeatedly putting out fresh Coke seems like a full time job!........But, even if they can't burp, they can surely toot!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #10
Krylon32

Back in the mid 80's I had to store my deuce sedan in my grandfathers garage. It was fairly tight but a few mice still got into the interior. About mid winter I went to the garage to start the car and it had that smell. Not knowing how to get them out of the car I sealed up the garage as best I could, filled the lawnmower with gas, set the choke and left it run until it ran out of gas. It took care of the mice and years later when the guy that bought the car was getting it reupholstered he called and wondered what the story was with the mummified mouse carcass's they found in the car. I was right the lawnmower did it's job.
Krylon32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #11
qmdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongriffey View Post
What 20 dollar sound maker. Will it work on bats
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #12
TagMan

I saw a mouse in my shop. Went to our local Tractor Supply store and bought a couple of sticky traps. Just a 4" x 6" piece of cardboard with a super sticky material on one side. I stuck one sheet on the floor on each side of my overhead door and one randomly on the floor, next to a wall about halfway back from the front of the building .

Next morning I had 2 mice on one of the sheets and another next to the wall, dead as door nails. Haven't seen another critter or sign of one, in two months, but have trapped a lot of spiders & other bugs.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:55 AM   #13
Aarongriffey

Most hardware stores se,, a small unit you just plug in the wall and it makes a sound humans can’t hear.. I have one in the attached garage. It seems to keep mice away.
There is also one, more expensive, that makes a whoop whoop whoop noise that you can hear.it will definitely keep rats away but it may be too loud for an attached garage.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:04 AM   #14
flatford8

I have those ultra sonic noise things too!.....I don’t get anywhere near the mice in traps that I used too. I use a trap that I can dispose of a carcass. I don’t want them dying inside the car.........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #15
Bob/Pa

Mothballs...have used for years, keeps them away. Then some pills bought on ebay kills them, over 20 years of storage & never had a problem. Only dead ones laying on floor of garage!
Bob/Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #16
corvette8n

I use mothballs, bought a couple of plastic trays from the dollar store and put one on the front floor and one in back, seem to have worked, I see no signs of critters.

The museum in Norwich NY have paper plates with mothballs in almost every vehicle on display.

I tried dryer sheets and found they were used as nesting material.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #17
AnthonyG

I find the mice ignore the electronic gizmos! I live in the woods (lots of the critters around) w few houses within 2000 feet. I’ve had several electronic mice repelling devices on each of three floors & my garage and had seen droppings right next to them! Tried traps caught some, used sticky paper got some ( if u get or see 1 or 2 u’ve got 50)! Gotta kill them regularly & clean out their community. I think they get smart & avoid snap traps & sticky paper. After getting a few they stopped working & would still see droppings. Little Vermin r a PIA & always provoke a lot of action in Posts.