Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #1
fordor41

Default neutral safety switch

A friend of mine just finished restoring his parents '57 Ford fairlane convert, 312 automatic. I watched him start it and he put it in neutral. I asked him why and he said that was a "safety" feature by Ford that it could only be started in neutral. I've had 2 '57 Fords with automatics and they all started in park or neutral. He showed me the original owners manual and it said "to start the car with conventional or overdrive tranmissions to place it in neutral". I told him conventional/overdrive referred to 3 speed standard not autos. I'm trying to convince him that the neutral safety switch has gone south in the park position.
Anyone agree with me?
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:00 PM   #2
Paul H

Default Re: neutral safety switch

57 Fords were all neutral start only.If yours started in park,someone had replaced the switch with one from a 58 or newer car(or truck)
Old 05-17-2015, 02:58 AM   #3
ThomasN

Or, just jumper around it. My stock 53 only starts in neutral ad that is what the manual says
ThomasN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:16 AM   #4
darrell

56 was last year for neutral start only.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
darrell

you lost me on that one.if your friends 57 starts in neutral only he has a 56 switch.56 and 57 switches are interchangeable which is why most people put a 57 switch on their 56 when they need one.all 57s start in park.like fordor i owned 2 57s and drove around in dozens of them.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
paul2748

I know the 57 Birds started in neutral only. In 58 they changed to start in both neutral and park. I assume the sedans were the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell View Post
you lost me on that one.if your friends 57 starts in neutral only he has a 56 switch.56 and 57 switches are interchangeable which is why most people put a 57 switch on their 56 when they need one.all 57s start in park.like fordor i owned 2 57s and drove around in dozens of them.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
paul2748

How can both be correct. One says 56, the other 57.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6 View Post
darrell 56 was last year for neutral start only.

Paul H 57 Fords were all neutral start only. If yours started in park,someone had replaced the switch with one from a 58 or newer car(or truck)

Both of these guys are correct as is your friend.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #8
fordor41

It's hard to believe that some one changed both NSS's on my '57s to a later style and like Darrel,l I got lost on these post. Seems like we're 50/50 on park start or no park start. remember we're talking auto transmission.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:09 AM   #9
oldave57

I have owned two 57 Fords, one when I was 18 years old (a looong time ago) and one now. Both of these had Fordomatics and both only started with the gear selector in Neutral. I have modified my current car by adding a contact switch so that the linkage lever would contact the switch when the selector is in Park, and now the car starts in either Park or Neutral (like it better that way). I do know that the 58 Ford neutral safety switch was changed to start in either Park or Neutral, but the 57 switch started only in Neutral.

I have attached a picture of the 57 Ford Operator's Manual that shows the section on starting and it states that the safety feature prevents starting unless the selector is in Neutral.

Regards,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57Ford_Ops0001.jpg (60.0 KB, 63 views)
oldave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:07 AM   #10
Ford blue blood

olddave57 is correct. 57 Fords only started in N when equiped with an automatic. There was no switch for manuals. 58 was the first year for P and N starting. All three of my 57s have/had N only. Original and replacement switches for automatic cars had two sets of terminals, one set for the safety and one set for the backup lights. My Ranchero has no backup lights but does have the original switch with both sets of terminals.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:39 AM   #11
scicala

To make things more confusing, I know it's not a Ford, but my '55 Mercury Montclair that I had back in '65, started in park and neutral (Mercomatic).

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
GAR64

When I first got my 56 Victoria I was convinced the NSS was defective until I read the manual...
GAR64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:46 PM   #13
SSsssteamer

Both my 1957 Skyliner and my 1957 Thunderbird with automatics only start in neutral. And that is the way they were meant to be by Ford. If you want your 1957 Ford to also start in Park, then install and 1958 Ford neutral switch into your 1957 Ford. It is a common installation. 1958 neutral switches are available on eBay.

Last edited by SSsssteamer; 03-29-2016 at 09:24 PM.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #14
Crestliner2

would these 58 switches fit a 52? I currently have a NSS that the arm broke off. I would either like to bypass the switch safely or replace it. but I am having a hard time finding a switch for that year.
Crestliner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:03 PM   #15
Kahuna

Crestliner2
I have no idea what a 52 switch actuator looks like. But if it is the same or similar to 54-56, then you can use this:
C1TF-7A247-A. This is a Ford number
1960-1966 Ford truck with Auto. Starts in Neutral & Park
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:30 PM   #16
zuburg

I just bought a Neutral Safety Switch from one of the Tbird Parts houses (Concours I think), that will allow starting in Park. It has four wires, two with male ends, and two with female connectors. Can anyone tell me what I will find when I remove the old original neutral safety switch? Will it also have four wires?
zuburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:51 AM   #17
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuburg View Post
I just bought a Neutral Safety Switch from one of the Tbird Parts houses (Concours I think), that will allow starting in Park. It has four wires, two with male ends, and two with female connectors. Can anyone tell me what I will find when I remove the old original neutral safety switch? Will it also have four wires?
The car should have 4 wires, esp. if it has the back-up light option. The new switch should have 4 wires also. The wire colors & connectors on the new switch will most likely match the old ones.
Two wires are for the NSS and the other two are for the back-up lights.
No clue what else you'll find, the only similar example car I've got that switch & it's wiring was missing and I suspect the PO bypassed it under the dash somewhere. It's on my to-do list.

dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #18
zuburg

Thanks, I'll let you know what I find, and how easy it was or wasn't to replace. I won't know if it works or not for awhile as I'm waiting for my Fordomatic to be rebuilt and new engine is not yet ready to be installed.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #19
paul2748

Since the switch attaches to the shifter, it should be easy to install with no trans in the car.

Quote:
Thanks, I'll let you know what I find, and how easy it was or wasn't to replace. I won't know if it works or not for awhile as I'm waiting for my Fordomatic to be rebuilt and new engine is not yet ready to be installed.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #20
zuburg

Yes, that's another reason I'm making the change, much more room to work. The car originally was equipped with a manual transmission so I think the PO did some "custom" work to install the original switch. The wires are all taped up and there is not much slack to work with. I think I will cut the wires near the old switch and splice to the wires on the new switch and hope for the best. I'm guessing the original wires do not have any connectors like the new switch has, so they won't do me any good anyway.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:16 PM   #21
paul2748

Before cutting anything, check out the connections on both. Maybe easier than you think.

Quote:
Yes, that's another reason I'm making the change, much more room to work. The car originally was equipped with a manual transmission so I think the PO did some "custom" work to install the original switch. The wires are all taped up and there is not much slack to work with. I think I will cut the wires near the old switch and splice to the wires on the new switch and hope for the best. I'm guessing the original wires do not have any connectors like the new switch has, so they won't do me any good anyway.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #22
zuburg

Well, I think I got it all done today. Man is it hard working with little short wires. I won't know for sure until I get it all back together and can try it. Or should I hook up the battery and test it at the solenoid?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #23
paul2748

If you want to test it to prove the unit is ok or adjusted correctly, just run a battery wire to one of the NSS wires, put it in gear and use a test light on the other wire. The test light should only light up in neutral (or park and neutral if it's been modified).
Old 04-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #24
Oilslickwillie

Just finished installing new fuel tank and sender. Next job is installing a neutral safety switch. Car has a 302 with a C4 transmission. PO did not have a NSS at all, and car will start in any gear, not good at all. It's been a while since I have installed one. Right now there is no wiring for a NSS. Am I correct that it mounts on shifter on tranny and one wire of the NSS goes to ignition and the other wire coming out other side of NSS goes to the Selenoid. Also, on a C4 does it matter what year built or do I need to buy according to date on tranny?
Paul, that sounds like a good way to test if it's working. Will try to remember that.
Oilslickwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:28 PM   #25
rick55

I don't get the discussion about start in neutral or park. One of my cars fitted with a Lokar shifter and Fordomatic starts in neutral and park, the other with FMX starts only in neutral.
Personally I wouldn't bother changing the switch.
Some years back I bought a 58 switch to change over to park and neutral start but the switch turned out to be the earlier neutral only in a 58 box. Cost me just under $100 by the time I got it and now I just can't be bothered.

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #26
terminator2372

What did you end up doing on your NSS? I'm pretty sure my 52 Customline is also having a NSS issue and I want to bypass it too.
Thanks,
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestliner2 View Post
would these 58 switches fit a 52? I currently have a NSS that the arm broke off. I would either like to bypass the switch safely or replace it. but I am having a hard time finding a switch for that year.
terminator2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #27
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator2372 View Post
... I'm pretty sure my 52 Customline is also having a NSS issue and I want to bypass it too.
Thanks,
Jason
If you bypass the NSS the car can be started in any gear. Very dangerous if the car is on a roll-on platform at a service shop somewhere. (even in your own garage if you aren't paying attention)

They were originally made to start the car only in Neutral to avoid having to shift past Reverse every time you were headed for Drive, to cut down on wear & tear to the reverse gear parts. Still a valid concern with an older transmission.

terminator2372, resurrecting old threads is generally not done because it quickly gets confusing knowing who to respond to and about what... a question resolved years ago or the most recent comment.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-12-2021 at 08:22 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #28
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilslickwillie View Post
Just finished installing new fuel tank and sender. Next job is installing a neutral safety switch. Car has a 302 with a C4 transmission. PO did not have a NSS at all, and car will start in any gear, not good at all. It's been a while since I have installed one. Right now there is no wiring for a NSS. Am I correct that it mounts on shifter on tranny and one wire of the NSS goes to ignition and the other wire coming out other side of NSS goes to the Selenoid. Also, on a C4 does it matter what year built or do I need to buy according to date on tranny?
Paul, that sounds like a good way to test if it's working. Will try to remember that.
correct on wiring. A C-4 should have a NNS mounted behind the tranny shift arm, sort of a crescent shaped switch. If I remember correctly two wires for NS and two for back-up. should be able to sort with a multimeter
Old 04-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #29
Daves55Sedan

The dealer issued '57 Ford car owners manuals said "place gear select lever in neutral" to start cars equipped with Ford-O-Matic. They did it this way because they didn't want the owner to have to shift from park to reverse to neutral while the engine was running if they had designed it to start in park. There may have been a fear that shifting into reverse with engine running while auto-choke was engaged might cause premature wear or damage to reverse gear.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote