Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2021, 11:59 PM   #1
jerbo

Default Fs ignitions

Does anyone have experience with this electronic ignition kit? In either 6v or 12v? Thanks, Jerbo
jerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
rfitzpatrick

Default Re: Fs ignitions

YES, it can be purchased as either!! I just love it, the FS People are great too !
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:26 AM   #3
fast150

I run an FS ignition and really like it. When i called to order it, they asked a lot of questions about my engine to make sure I got the right advance set up. They even sent along another set of springs in case I wanted to experiment with them. I have had absolutely no problem with it. I do carry an extra module in the car just to be safe.
fast150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #4
denis4x4

Been running them for 35 years on hot rods, boats, classics and Model A's. Follow the directions when you install it.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
31Tudor

First time in 50 years of Model A'ing I ever came home on a roll back, was when my electronic ignition failed. I hate them. lol
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:59 PM   #6
CarlG

My FSI Zipper failed after 5K miles. Even though FSI replaced it, and I have a spare module, I'm not so inclined to put it back in. I have a borrowed stock dizzy in now and it has worked perfectly for 8K miles and still going strong. Hesitant to fix what ain't broke.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:01 PM   #7
AL in NY

Never had a problem with the electronic ignition from FS in 20,000 miles. Be sure to follow the directions to the letter. You'll need to run a dedicated ground wire from the distributor plate to the battery ground terminal. A lot of the failures occur because people short cut this detail.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #8
GPierce

Lots of information on FS here: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=Fs-ignition
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:00 PM   #9
nkaminar

Results may vary. The computer controlled electronic distributor on my Toyota works perfectly. My Model A came with the FS ignition. It may have been that the distributor was not set up correctly, but the stock distributor I replaced it with works a lot better. With the stock distributor there is no hesitation or carburetor wheezing when starting out from a stop. The engine starts easier. Plus, I just like the looks of the stock distributor and the fact that I can manually adjust the spark advance.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #10
duke36

I had the 12 v FS zipper which was good except on hills with a H.C. head.; it wouldn't retard enough to prevent knocking. Some owners modify the internals to be able to rotate the dizzy assembly or change out the internal springs. The zipper is not pinned to the head. I removed it , and like others prefer the stock factory setup.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #11
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
I had the 12 v FS zipper which was good except on hills with a H.C. head.; it wouldn't retard enough to prevent knocking. Some owners modify the internals to be able to rotate the dizzy assembly or change out the internal springs. The zipper is not pinned to the head. I removed it , and like others prefer the stock factory setup.

I've had similar issues with the FS distributor that were quickly solved by using different spring rates to play with the advance and retard features of the unit. I have these distributors on both A's and I've tweeked the springs on both of them.

I fully understand those that want to keep their A's just as they came off the assembly line. By the same token bad mouthing an aftermarket product based on a single usage is not always right. As I've posted, been running Per-Lux Ignitors, Petronix Ignitions and FS ignitions (all the same thing) for 35 years and the only failure was caused by me not following directions. Latest installation was a year ago on my '76 Jaguar XJ6c and it runs great. Too, if you're not running the proper coil, you're asking for trouble.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #12
GRutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I have a borrowed stock dizzy in now and it has worked perfectly for 8K miles and still going strong.
This made me smile. You have good friends
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #13
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I know many folks who run the FS ignition. They are always happy with the FS until they fail on a tour. Most Model Aers are not familiar with the FS system and are of no help when a FS failure occurs. However, with the stock dissy, most people can be of help during a breakdown. I run a stock dissy with a timed spare dissy under the seat. I had a condenser fail on my way to the 2018 MAFCA convention. Swapped the dissy and was back on the road in five minutes. I replaced the condenser when I came home. The stock dissy with a spare dissy is a fool proof system... JMHO
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbo View Post
Does anyone have experience with this electronic ignition kit? In either 6v or 12v? Thanks, Jerbo
Can I ask the question 'why' you are looking at an electronic ignition kit? What is it you are trying to accomplish?? I am not saying you are wrong, ...just asking why.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:28 PM   #15
AL in NY

Dick M: so is the FS with a spare module.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #16
Jack Shaft
BANNED

The biggest reason for the Petronix is adaptive dwell, the hall effect impulse is modulated to provide consistent coil soak.

Many model A owners don't realize the ground path Ford used to complete the circuit was through the engine pans. Once removed, chassis grounding becomes dependent on connections not designed for it, like the drive shaft trunnion and front engine mount. Running a dedicated ground strap to the transmission provides the path needed, without it the petronix will burn..the rest of your electrical system will last longer and function better as well.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
The biggest reason for the Petronix is adaptive dwell, the hall effect impulse is modulated to provide consistent coil soak.
John, but what do you feel is the advantage on a typical Model-A/B touring engine? The coil 'soak time' after reaching 100% capacity does not allow the coil to produce a "more intense" spark, -or a hotter spark. With a Kettering-type ignition points set-up and a Stipe distributor cam, it has been proven that the saturation time will reach 100% of the typically used coil's capacity, so are you suggesting the FS will allow that coil to produce a hotter spark because it can do it (-come to full saturation) quicker?

Also, with that said, how 'hot' (-i.e.: intense) does the spark need to be to ignite a low compression mixture at relatively slow RPMs (-under 3,000 rpm)?? Does a 44,000 volt coil provide a performance advantage over a 30,000 volt coil if both coils provide the fuel mixture to be burned completely??

It is my opinion that with better quality points, condensers, and the improved Stipe ignition cam available to us today, ...and used in a stock distributor, in reality, the electronically controlled Ignitor really doesn't add any more horsepower or provide any performance gain. Does your experiences counter this??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:52 PM   #18
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Negative,a properly maintained Kettering system works as well. My basis is the electronic system does the maintenance for me. Consistent operation of the ignition system also extends the life of components.

As for relevance I'm splitting hairs,performance,especially with manual spark advance, lies purely with the operator.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:52 AM   #19
Jordan

Love my FS distributor. Wouldn't be caught without it. We have them in all the cars and they work flawlessly. They fail when they aren't set up correctly. I carry a spare module for emergencies but in 40,000 miles on my sedan that's had it the longest, i've never needed it.