Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2024, 06:48 AM   #1
drfromnc

Default 34 pickup hood/radiator rod fitment

I’ve had my cab test fitted on the frame for awhile now; shimmed and bolted down with doors aligned best I can get them. Steering box/column bolted into place too. Radiator, hoses and shell in place.

Yesterday I decided to test fit my hood in order to figure what length I needed to trim my new Vintique SS radiator support rods (about 30” total length and ~6” too long) so I can have my machine shop rethread them (I don’t have lathe or means of securely holding rod to hand cut threads).

It appears to me that the radiator needs to tilt forward about 3/16” so that the front radiator support bracket holes line up with holes in shell/radiator but radiator hoses seem to be keeping this from happening. I tried shimming cab at the firewall “feet” with no luck.

The only solutions I can see are to: 1) drain cooling system (distilled water) and loosen radiator hoses so I can tilt radiator forward to bolt down front hood bracket, reattach hoses all so I can measure for radiator support rods. 2) if solution 1 doesn’t work, then it seems I may need to cut radiator hoses in half and add a piece of pipe to extend them slightly to give me the tilt.

Am I on the right track or derailed?

Sorry for the long post but tried to paint a complete picture.
drfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 07:57 AM   #2
glennpm

Default Re: 34 pickup hood/radiator rod fitment

Since you only need to tilt forward only 3/16", You could do this easily by just sliding the radiator hoes of the pumps or radiator necks.

Glenn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~---------------
Rumble Seat's Notes
Techno-Source for the 1932 thru 1953 Flathead Ford
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:25 AM   #3
Karl Wescott

Default Re: 34 pickup hood/radiator rod fitment

Consider <alt> <ctrl> <del>.

Take out all the cab to frame bolts except leave the back two without nuts to locate the cab front to back.
Make sure any stuff on the firewall that attaches to the motor is loose.
Take all the stuff off the radiator except for the grille. Radiator to frame bolts should be loose.
If you have not painted the cab and hood yet, make some spacers to set the gap between the cab and hood and DUCT tape the hood to the cab. Now you have a nice target to locate the grille to.
Now go about locating the grille to the hood, shimming things as needed.
Install the radiator support rods.

Re-install any mount bolts and tighten all the mount bolts. Make sure alignment is good.
Re-install and tighten the mounting on all the stuff that attached to the firewall and radiator. Make sure alignment is still good.
"Expensive is doing it right the second time".

Note on radiator rods. Vintique's 1932-36 "universal" rods with long threads are a nice product (if you don't mind the extra threads and cutting them to length, and extending threads for 1933-34 PU). EXCEPT they are too short for 1935 passenger (Vintique makes a long one that works) and for 1933-34 Pickup/Truck consider starting with Model A rods as they are only 1-3/8 longer than the 1933-34 Pickup ones. All the other V8 rods are longer then Model A.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote