Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #21
ctfortner

Default Re: Window Channel Installation

That is interesting Rick, he didnt mention it and I cant find a reference to it in the illustration book. Wouldnt have a picture of it would you? I just emailed him to ask about it.

All these dang parts got so many names (cat whiskers, fuzzies, etc) hard to keep up. In your post you mentioned bailey channel as well as glass run. I was curious if you are referring to the same thing (just 2 different names for it), so I understand and am not more confused . This is what I am calling the glass run

ctfortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #22
ctfortner

Well, he already responded back and said his book didnt show any other parts for this either. I dunno.. I guess I will be going without it, wouldnt know where else to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
You still need the filler piece for the back of the quarter window run which supports the bailiey channel where It bends and joins up to the back vertical run. It is clipped onto the bailey channel. It is a flattened out v shaped channel and fills the sharp bend in the glass run. Maybe the bloke selling the bits you are buying still has them.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #23
frank long island

that is what goes in the glass run channel to guide the glass the fuzzies are the wipers on the outer body panel and the inner trim panel
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #24
ctfortner

Ok Rick, now I know what your talking about. A member of the 52-59 ford group (thanks fordsbyjay) took a picture for me. I emailed that to the parts guy to see if he has it. to many durn pieces! That is 3 parts just for holding in 1 quarter window run.

quarter window glass run corner piece.jpg
Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #25
rick55

It actually helps to form and properly locate the channel. It is an absolute "B" to get everything lined up. I located that strip on the body filled it full of glue and then pop riveted through it to hold the bailey channel. It actually gives the bailey some sideways strength where it would otherwise hang in the breeze where it folds at the belt line. You can't see it when it is all in.
You can make it out in the parts illustration manual as it shows a sharp bend where it is fitted on the bailey.
It would probably get tossed when the old bailey is put in the bin.

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #26
ctfortner

Ok, I found a guy that has them, wants $50 shipped for them. So, not to questions Fords design here, but in your (and anyone elses) opinion, should I get them? It probably hasnt completely made sense to me since I havent seen it all installed before, but just looking at the car and the channel, it seems you could glue the channel in place and then when you put the interior trim piece for the window on, wouldnt it hold things in place? Or do you feel these 2 pieces are a must?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #27
rick55

I personally think it is necessary, else why would Ford go to the trouble of fitting it. It acts also as a packer for the channel. When you see it installed you can see its function. Ford went to the expense of making and fitting these and if it wasn't necessary, they would have saved their money and increased profit.
$50 seems a bit expensive for what it is, but at least he has them and compared with what you have invested in the car so far, it is a drop in the ocean.

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #28
rick55

If I wasn't clear with the way I fitted all this up, I first glued the bailey channel to the front channel guide after bending the bailey channel allowing the adhesive time to set, secured the rear vertical guide in the inner panel using the the fixed stud and pop riveted the little packing strip into position. I then used a silicon adhesive and a good bead inside packer. I put the same adhesive in the rear support bracket before I fitted it.
I then put the bailey channel into position and pop riveted in place along the top and through the packing strip.
Putting the glass in straight away, helps the adhesive to set keeping the bailey channel where it needs to be. I left the window down to assist the bottom of the channel to set in the correct place.
My bailey channel was pre fitted with original style clips, but I removed all but the clips for the front vertical run. I found it too damned hard to get everything to line up. The steps I used does work and the pop rivets do not contact the glass at all due to the design of the bailey channel.
I had purchased my bailey channel from Ford Road Parts Store - not preformed.
Hope you can understand the way I did it.

Quote:
Henry Ford