Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
AnthonyG

Default Value "35 Ford Tudor?

Hi all, thinking on selling trading my "35 Tudor. I have been on multiple "sale / Value my car" sites and #'s are all over. I trust this crowd to give a more accurate $#. It's a 64K original mile, totally rust free always, 3 owner car. The second owner died 35 years ago and car was in a heated regularly exterminated garage for 30 plus years ( three walls of garage attached to interior of house ), prior to me and was covered with felt lined covers inside and out. Also a heated garage during my tenure. Most of the paint is original and looks great. Interior was redone in a stock configuration prior to the previous owners death. Dash paint and chrome and all painted trim and chrome are original & look great inside and out. Glass on side windows has the typical haze around the outside edges front and rear glass perfect. I have the original bill of sale and original title framed and the original dealer tag on the car. The car had no engine or radiator when I bought it. I installed a performance built '49 8BA built by United Engines Jerry Livingston in Ka. I installed a Brass Works Stock look but rated for higher horsepower radiator ( extra rows of cooling tubes ).I have the original 3 speed which has been rebuilt but installed a rebuilt '39 tranny. I installed all new stock look ( modern materials )wire harnesses. Gas tank is a new Tanks Inc. steel using original fill neck but do have the original tank too. Wheels are stock wire type and appear to have been restored as they look almost too nice. Car is very clean and shows very well.
Help much appreciated!!
Old 02-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
blucar

Default Re: Value "35 Ford Tudor?

I think you are going to be quite disappointed with what the car will sell for. "The Old Car Report" average for a #3-#4 35 sdn is $8.250. A number 3 or 4 vehicle is Good/Very Good, complete and operable, driving condition.. The description of your car does not fall into that range.
Considering all the work the car needs, I would think that you would be lucky to get $5-$6k for the car.
As a general rule the market on mainstream vintage cars is very soft, they are not the investment that most people have portrayed them to be, the exception being convertibles, some coupes, that have been rebuilt as Resto-Mods...
Old 02-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
FireEngineMike

Bill, look at Anthony's gallery of the car and reread his post. I think the car would be worth more than your estimates. I am a rookie in the hobby so do not think that I am questioning your experience and smarts. 1,298 posts counts for a lot. Anthony, I would pay the high end of Bill's estimate. It seems like it would be a great driver. There's a 1935 in the swap meet with an asking price of $15K. I have been browsing Hemmings for awhile and I see asking prices (probably seller's dreams) in that range and higher. I just priced myself out of buying your car. Bill, am I nuts?
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
AnthonyG

Quote:
Considering all the work the car needs?
Ya lost me Blucar, what does the car need?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
FireEngineMike

Anthony, have you been driving it? Why do you want to sell it? It looks like a great ride. Mostly stock car, everything updated, newer engine with additional go power. What do you think it is worth, irrespective of what you've read?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
Bursonaw

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
Hi all, thinking on selling trading my "35 Tudor. I have been on multiple "sale / Value my car" sites and #'s are all over. I trust this crowd to give a more accurate $#. It's a 64K original mile, totally rust free always, 3 owner car. The second owner died 35 years ago and car was in a heated regularly exterminated garage for 30 plus years ( three walls of garage attached to interior of house ), prior to me and was covered with felt lined covers inside and out. Also a heated garage during my tenure. Most of the paint is original and looks great. Interior was redone in a stock configuration prior to the previous owners death. Dash paint and chrome and all painted trim and chrome are original & look great inside and out. Glass on side windows has the typical haze around the outside edges front and rear glass perfect. I have the original bill of sale and original title framed and the original dealer tag on the car. The car had no engine or radiator when I bought it. I installed a performance built '49 8BA built by United Engines Jerry Livingston in Ka. I installed a Brass Works Stock look but rated for higher horsepower radiator ( extra rows of cooling tubes ).I have the original 3 speed which has been rebuilt but installed a rebuilt '39 tranny. I installed all new stock look ( modern materials )wire harnesses. Gas tank is a new Tanks Inc. steel using original fill neck but do have the original tank too. Wheels are stock wire type and appear to have been restored as they look almost too nice. Car is very clean and shows very well.

Help much appreciated!!

Posting some pictures would be helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #7
40cpe

I think blucar is confusing this car with the recent thread about buying a partial car.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
rotorwrench

Having the history helps value but I don't have any idea how much. Tudor sedan prices could vary some but as was already mentioned the coupe & convertible models are the ones folk save there funds for. You will have to start your value high and hope for tudor sedan lovers to come along. Folks might be interested in the Dearborn value and history so you just never know. An appraiser might be of more help.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
AnthonyG

Mike, when I bought the car this wasn't the car started out looking for. Wanted an early PU to play with / modify / make pretty. However when I saw the '35 Slant and went over it including the great documented history / low miles on it, got into the popularity of the Slantbacks and saw some verified low mile ones go for pretty big $, and resto-mods going for obscene $'s I couldn't let it get away so bought it and subsequently went over it in detail and the car and condition was amazing except no engine and no radiator which as I said I spared no expense replacing. I'm now at the point I need to decide whether I want to keep it and continue modifying to get a more modern feel ( resto-mod ) it or get $ and move on to a PU. I don't believe Bill read the entire post as the car needs nothing and is pretty close to perfect. Also think Mike was closer bet still low.
Recent Hemmings totally stock '35 Slant is asking $18,900 https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...8/1857822.html
Mine is way nicer than it.

Also a Resto-mod re-framed at $49,995 https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...8/1857822.html

These prices are common in looking around sampling pricing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (54.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1023.jpg (82.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 4293.jpg (72.2 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 304.jpg (34.8 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 306.jpg (39.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 307.jpg (39.3 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by AnthonyG; 02-07-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: forgot pics
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #10
GaryTx

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214457

Attached is a nice starting point in determining the value.....
GaryTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
40cpe

Don't confuse asking prices for selling prices. Many of those cars stay for sale for months or years and we never know what they actually sold for.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTx View Post
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214457

Attached is a nice starting point in determining the value.....
Trunkback with 4 glass fenders?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:15 PM   #13
rotorwrench

Resto-Mod to me is kind of a misnomer. Street Rod is generally more accurate. I see so many street rods that are listed as "Restored" that it make me want to barf. Early car with "Updates" would be close if all that was done was to retrofit for hydraulic brakes. Folks like to ask a lot of bucks for street rods since they payed big bucks for custom interior & paint. They have to have all the Pete & Jake's or Lokar crap plus a crate engine all to be put in by the local Boyd's Resto Shop since many don't have time to fiddle with this stuff we call a hobby. I look at them and shake my head then walk away. I used to think they were neat a long time ago until they all started to look the same.

Your Tudor Sedan is worth a lot more to a guy like me than any street rod ever will be. Anybody can build stuff up from modern parts. Finding or fabricating the old ones is where it's at in my book.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
FireEngineMike

Anthony, I would not put more money into it with dreams of a big profit. I'd sell it and save the money until you find your dream pickup. You'll buy the pickup anyway and you could wind up not getting your additional money out of the 1935 when you need to sell it for the pickup. Saying I would buy it for Bill's high estimate was a very lowball humorous "offer". I think it would easily sell for considerably more than that. Just don't get confused by coupe prices. BTW, both of your links are for the Sedan on Hemmings. The restomod is: [URL="https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/unspecified/1898427.html"]
There is a bright yellow restomod with similar equipment for half the asking price. I searched for 1935 sedan and all but one ad are from dealers. The only private owner ad is for a barely started restoration for $10,500. Good luck. BTW, where in PA?
Rotorwrench posted while I was typing and searching. I agree with him 100%.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #15
Pomeroy41144

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Resto-Mod to me is kind of a misnomer. Street Rod is generally more accurate. I see so many street rods that are listed as "Restored" that it make me want to barf.
Amen to that.
Pomeroy41144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #16
JHFORD51

About 5 months ago there was a very original 35 flatback tudor (rouge class type car) that ran and drove but with dry paint and sunburning on the fenders. The owner had it on Ebay 3 or 4 times and finally had it no sold (not even one bid) at around $9k I believe. It was in AZ. I thought it was a fair price but I guess I was the only one.

There is another flatback listed on Ebay now with new engine, tires, and breaks but incomplete interior. Perhaps you could follow that auction and judge your value between the two examples listed.
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #17
mhsprecher

I'd hate to see it modified any further given what it is, but it's not my car and I am not going to buy it. It seems like a great car for someone. I am surprised Mr. 35, JM 35 Sedan has not weighed in!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #18
bill3337

If this is truly rust free, it will save the next owner 15-20 K in rust repair. Around here that car would go mid $20s USD without any trouble and possibly more.
bill3337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:36 AM   #19
32 ford barn

My friend finally sold his Rust free California 36 tudor after trying for at least two years for less than $17,000. A very nice driving all steel ca. car. A real world price.
32 ford barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:30 AM   #20
mhsprecher

There is a 36 on the V8 club site for sale for $13,500. Not the same thing, but seems like a bargain to me. http://www.earlyfordv8.org/classifie...biles&id=10557
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote