Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2022, 09:40 PM   #1
snappydon

Default 1937 Model 79 Wood Cab Mounting Question

When I removed the cab from my truck a couple years ago the cab mounts were wood blocks, 3 on each side, with the front mount having 2 holes in it.

The front blocks are about 12" long and the rear 2 are about 4-6". The rear ones were pretty ugly so I had my neighbor make new ones out of oak.

The front were still in real good condition.

But as I'm surfing the web I see that the pickups had a 1 piece mount that ran the length of the cab...

Should my Model 79 1-1/2 ton have the 1 piece or the 3 separate?
snappydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:02 PM   #2
Model51

Default Re: 1937 Model 79 Wood Cab Mounting Question

Your 1-1/2 ton truck frame is different than the pickup (commercial) frame so it is mounted with different wood blocks. The truck frame is flat while the commercial frame is essentially like the car frame and bends upwards in the front. The cab is used (with minor differences) for both the truck and pickup so at least the front blocks are different. Your truck should have three wood blocks on either side.

I've attached a two page pdf which includes a description of the wood blocks and mounting hardware. This is from the rough draft of my soon to be published (early 2023) book on Model 51 trucks (1935-1936). Your 1937 truck shares many of the same parts and designs so my book might be of some use. It's going to be made available through the Early Ford V-8 Club of America. No pressure to purchase a copy, just letting you know that it's coming soon. Here's the link to the order form:
https://www.earlyfordv8.org/images/u...mo%20flyer.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cab to Frame Mounting.pdf (507.0 KB, 33 views)
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
DavidG

Dave,

Very informative writeup, I'm sure it will be appreciated by more that just snappydon.

The truck frame also varies in width in the area where the cab mounts compared to the commercial/passenger car frame in that area.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:10 PM   #4
snappydon

Wow...what great information!

That's exactly what I needed. My front blocks are identical to the ones illustrated. And the ones I had made are really close.

Thank you for the reply, I am ordering your book.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:32 PM   #5
Model51

snappydon,
Glad the info is useful for you. The book will be 275-300 pages of information like that on as many aspects as I could gather information.
If the truck in your image is your '37, it looks like it had a nice life as a fire engine? Also, are those the long running boards with dual rear fenders? Very rare. I have a set off a 157" wheelbase 1936 fire truck.
If you have questions about your truck, just let me know and I'll help if I can.
Dave
Old 11-28-2022, 10:57 PM   #6
snappydon

I'm anxious to get your book when it's available.

Yes that's it, long running boards with factory dually fenders. I've only seen 3 other trucks with them in all my online searches.

It was a Civil Defense truck originally, that got converted to fire truck during the war. When I got it it had a straight 6 flathead Chrysler powered Hale pump unit mounted transverse behind the cab and a 500 gallon water tank mounted in a pickup style heavy duty bed. The frame was bent from being overloaded so I switched it all over to a short wheelbase frame.

47,000 miles on the odometer. Sat in a barn from 1969 till got it in 2016.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:24 AM   #7
Model51

Great story about your truck. I have a 1935 157" wheelbase truck with an unknown history. I purchased it in a converted form. It was a fire pumper truck with a 500 gallon water tank on the back and a fire pump up front. The spring shackles and pins were completely shot along with one of the spring brackets. It also had a rear cross member bent into a shallow vee! I had to replace the frame from the last cross member back but now it's stock. Also had to fill some holes in the frame but the cab sheet metal was in great shape. It has 45,000 miles on it and last ran in the 1960's from what I can tell. I suppose indoor storage saved it. Hope to have it all back together next year with a 157" stake body on the back.
I assume you have the 157" running board extensions but aren't going to use them. There certainly aren't too many of the Ford factory long running board extensions around, but also the demand is low so I guess it all balances out. I assume that in the day most body builders didn't go to the expense and trouble of getting the factory parts for the rear running boards or fenders and made their own. The fire truck picture is before the fellow that owned it parted it all out. My truck is in the garage getting final body work prior to paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Long Running Board Extension.jpg (40.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1535.jpg (83.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0208 (2).jpg (132.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-14-2023, 08:59 PM   #8
mercman from oz

Dave, Your 1935 Ford Truck is coming along real good.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 11:44 AM   #9
Karl Wescott

Dave,
From time to time I get asked this question, could you send me or post a version of the pdf with attribution... I like to be able to credit the people who actually do the research that makes me look good. Is this information in the book (I will be ordering SOON).
Thanks

This mounting block system is likely the same for "early" 1938 based on my experience with pickup cabs where the wood blocks on 1938 were the same as 1935-37 up to the back of the cab (1938 had a "tail" that extended under the front bed support). At some time before the end of 1939 the floor changed to essentially the same as the 1940. Jon Jagger (I think... Newc or someone correct me...) mentioned the floor change in the V8 times article on cabovers in relation to a SAE specification for body to frame mounting hole locations that Ford adopted in 1939.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 03:39 PM   #10
Model51

Karl,

In the front end of the book, there's a few pages of my thanks to those who helped me with the book and a page about me. I've attached that section which also includes the book index to give you an idea of the content.

I appreciate your willingness to give credit where due. I tried my best to give credit to anyone who helped me along the way with contents of the book.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front End.pdf (1.04 MB, 9 views)