Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Traditional wiring on a '32: How much Asphalt Coated Wire Loom is needed?

Getting to the wiring stage of my project and really trying to just buy what I need and not have a lot left over.

Generally speaking, how long of runs of the asphalt coated wire loom is needed when rewiring a '32? I'm assuming I'll need 10 foot runs of 1/4". 5/16", 3/8" and 1/2".

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 01-03-2022 at 02:40 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:04 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: Traditional wiring on a '32: How much Asphalt Coated Wire Loom is needed?

Tim.

As the amounts of the different loom casings varies quite a bit by body and model type, and engine type, what's the starting point?
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:40 PM   #3
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Traditional wiring on a '32: How much Asphalt Coated Wire Loom is needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Tim.

As the amounts of the different loom casings varies quite a bit by body and model type, and engine type, what's the starting point?
Good point and question, David. I should have been more clear. It's a V8 roadster. I know I'll need to factor is waste, I'm really just trying to not over buy.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:24 PM   #4
DavidG

I'll look tomorrow and let you know. One last question or two; cowl lamps or not and two tail lamps or one?
Old 01-03-2022, 10:19 PM   #5
Tim Ayers

No cowl lamps, one tail light. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2022, 10:52 PM   #6
koates

Tim, correct me if I am wrong but if you are restoring a 32 Ford roadster to original specs then I would think it would be better to buy a ready made reproduction harness from one of the very good suppliers. You can even specify any small changes to the requirements such as cowl lights or not or incorporate blinkers with twin tail and stop lights etc. Or are you making your own harness because this is a modified car (hot rod or street rod). Reggards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:22 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Tim, correct me if I am wrong but if you are restoring a 32 Ford roadster to original specs then I would think it would be better to buy a ready made reproduction harness from one of the very good suppliers. You can even specify any small changes to the requirements such as cowl lights or not or incorporate blinkers with twin tail and stop lights etc. Or are you making your own harness because this is a modified car (hot rod or street rod). Reggards, Kevin.
It is a hot rod, but funny thing is I did purchase a pre-made wiring harness. I haven't looked at it in a while and pulled it out again yesterday. It looks like most of the important bits are already wrapped in friction tape and asphalt looming.

Thanks, all. David, sorry for the wild goose chase on your end. Looks like I'm set.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:42 AM   #8
DavidG

Good; please let me know if any questions arise.