Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
Brendan

Default Dead optma battery

How do i charge my optma battery? I heard that you can't use a regular battery charger.

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
Brendan

Default Re: Dead optma battery

It went completely dead, it won't light my test light

Old 12-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
Kurt in NJ

I have just used my oldest charger, one with no automatic charge rate or polarity protection on ones out of the car ---in the car I hooked up the charger to give power for ignition and hand cranked the car ---after 30 min drive the car would start on it's own ---got 16 years out of that battery, 10 years after the total dead incident, ----stock generator, other than the 10 min on the charger to hand crank never charged other than driving

modern chargers have to be fooled into charging a dead battery by hooking a good battery in parallel so the "smart" charger knows what to do (the charged battery is to fool the idiot proofing of the "smart" charger allowing it to turn on)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
51 MERC-CT

This is from Optima site---------------

Recovery Option #1: The Best Solution – AGM-Specific Chargers
The best method for recharging a deeply discharged AGM battery is to purchase a modern charger that has kept up with battery technology. Many chargers now have AGM-specific settings and desulfation steps that help recondition and recover deeply discharged AGM batteries. These are becoming more common, and they work well for all lead-acid batteries. They have the additional capability of doubling as a battery "maintainer" for batteries in storage. Some come with additional ring terminals to permanently attach to your battery leads so you can charge the battery externally with an accessible charger or maintainer. This makes it easy to hook up when you store your car, truck, boat or RV.
The OPTIMA® Chargers Digital 1200 12V Performance Battery Charger and Maintainer enhances the performance of OPTIMA and other AGM batteries, recovers deeply discharged batteries and extends battery life. The OPTIMA® Chargers Digital 1200 12V Performance Battery Charger and Maintainer are optimized when used with high-performance AGM batteries but has enhanced charging capabilities that can also be used with all traditional types of automotive batteries.
This is the preferred method of charging a deeply discharged battery.
Recovery Option #2: The DIY Solution
This is a recovery method for the do-it-yourselfer using the equipment you've got in the garage. With this option, you're going to trick your traditional charger into charging the deeply discharged AGM battery.
Here's what you need:
Battery charger (under 15-amps)
Jumper cables
A good battery, preferably above 12.2 volts. (It can be an AGM or flooded battery, it doesn't matter.)
The seemingly dead, deeply discharged AGM battery
A voltage meter
A watch or timer
Now, here's what you do:
Hook up the good battery and deeply discharged AGM battery in parallel – positive to positive and negative to negative. Do not have the charger connected to the battery or turned on at this stage.
Now, hook up the good battery to the charger. Turn on the charger. The charger will "see" the voltage of the good battery (hooked up in parallel), and start providing a charge.
After the batteries have been hooked up for about an hour, check to see if the AGM battery is slightly warm or hot to the touch. Batteries naturally become warm during charging, but excessive heat may be an indication that there really is something wrong with the battery. Discontinue charging immediately if the battery is hot to the touch. Also discontinue the process if you hear the battery "gassing" — a hissing sound coming from the safety valves. If it's hot or gassing, STOP CHARGING IMMEDIATELY!
With your voltage meter, check back often to see if the AGM battery has charged to 10.5 volts or above, this generally takes less than two hours with a 10-amp charger. If it has, disconnect the charger from the wall outlet and remove the good battery from the charger. Now, connect only the deeply discharged AGM battery to the charger. Turn on the charger and continue until the AGM battery reaches a full charge, or until the automatic charger completes the charge process. In most cases, the AGM battery will be recovered.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
KiWinUS

Brendan I left me ignition on when I cam home from the Moonshine fest a couple of months back & drained my battery dead. I had anoth 6v optima that I had just purchased for my Dads 48 pickup , I connected both batteries together in parallel(pos to pos & neg to neg) & then hooked up 6v battery charger to them , just an inexpensive Schumacher charger I purchased at Wally world. In a couple of days both battery's were fully charged .
I also had to install a fresh Dizzy & coil from my error.
Good Luck!
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Brendan I left me ignition on when I cam home from the Moonshine fest a couple of months back & drained my battery dead. I had anoth 6v optima that I had just purchased for my Dads 48 pickup , I connected both batteries together in parallel(pos to pos & neg to neg) & then hooked up 6v battery charger to them , just an inexpensive Schumacher charger I purchased at Wally world. In a couple of days both battery's were fully charged .
I also had to install a fresh Dizzy & coil from my error.
Good Luck!
Cheers
Tony
Yep, same as option #2 in post #4 above, guess it works.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
ford38v8

Regarding the Optima procedure as reported by 51 MERC-CT, you must remember that the values given are for a 12v battery.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
carguybill

Before you run out and spend $199 for the Optma battery charger mentioned by 51 Merc-CT it is only for 12 volt Optma batteries and will not work for 6 volt Optma's.

From the Optma site FAQ:
Can I charge a 6V battery?

The OPTIMA® Chargers Digital 400 & Digital 1200 12V Performance Battery Charger and Maintainer are only designed for charging 12V batteries.
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #9
Brendan

Yup it's a 12 volt in my model A . I think I left my dash light on

Old 12-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #10
tubman

$199 for a battery charger? No wonder it is their "recommended" way! Probably 63 cents of solid state circuitry on a regular charger.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #11
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
How do i charge my optma battery? I heard that you can't use a regular battery charger.
I bought a 6 volt charger from Harbour freight and it Woiked!

http://www.harborfreight.com/26-amp-...ger-60322.html

Don't let your battery stay dead too long or chemically it will be impossible to rechaRGE IT AGAIN.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #12
expavr

Brendan
I just made the investment ($109.00) in an Optima 400 12V charger to use on the battery in my street rod which is parked for the winter. It not only charges, but also has an automatic "float" maintenance circuit built into it that shifts over to maintaining the charge. No worries about overcharging. I found Summit had the best price and their store in Reno is close to you.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ult-150-40008
Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote