Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
glenn in camino

Default 2014 mafca national meet

I'm looking at the registration forms for the 2014 MAFCA National. According to the form, there seems to be two classes for car judging. Fine point and restorers class. I assume restorers class means touring class. Am I right ?
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: 2014 mafca national meet

Yes.forms for meet are not out yet just the Early Bird News Letter, which has some benefits for registration. See www.2014mafcanational.org for early forms and news letter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Ed Saniewski

Glenn, MAFCA restorers class is not the same as MARC touring class. The judging is a lot harder then MARC.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
160B

MAFCA RECOGITION AWARD FOR THE EVERYDAY MODEL A
The debut of MAFCA’s New Vehicle Class was made at the Northwest Regional Meet held in Bend, Oregon from September 3rd to 8th.

The Restorers Class program was developed over the past two years by members Alex Janke, Brian Carlson, Al Glen, Dave Vestal, Carl Becker and Garth Shreading.

The intent of the Restorers Class is to recognize members who utilize their Model A Ford in support of the hobby through their adherence to a standard that reflects original manufacture and condition but are utilized as ‘daily drivers’. It has often been noted that over the years there has been declining numbers of vehicles presented for judging at regional and national meets. Yet, at these same meets dozens of nice, well-restored vehicles sit in the parking lot, many of which would do well in vehicle judging, but go unappreciated or rewarded. The Restorers Class is an effort to encourage the everyday Model A Ford owner to proudly display their vehicle at meets and receive recognition for their efforts. We realize not all owners wish to participate in a rigorous Blue Ribbon, Original or Touring Class Judging process. The emphasis is on the “look or style”, not 100% authenticity.

This class recognizes the availability of many era and reproduction parts that permit a vehicle owner to maintain visual conformance to the appearance of a Model A but in addition allows modifications to be made in the interests of enhanced drivability and safety. This class is also a response to the fact that original parts are becoming rarer and ncreasingly more expensive. Further, in the interests of safety during operation of the vehicle, all modifications enhancing the protection of occupants are accepted without any penalization or restriction.

For some entrants, this initial step into the Restorers Class process may encourage them to eventually enter their vehicle into Blue Ribbon, Original or Touring Class Judging. One of the biggest impediments to entering judging is a lack of comfort with and knowledge of the process itself. vehicles entered into the Restorers Class are evaluated in the following areas: Engine, Body, Plating, Interior, Tires/Wheels and Undercarriage areas. Each vehicle starts at zero points, but has the potential to earn up to a maximum of 450 points. The evaluation process takes less than an hour making particpation easy for owners by not tying up their vehicle for an entire day. Glenn Smith from Didsbury, Alberta of the Stampede City Model A’s entered his 160B Town Sedan and became the first MAFCA member to have his Model A evaluated under this new class. Recognition awards are composed of Gold, Silver, Bronze and Participation levels. Evaluation is strictly by visual means and no equipment is tested for proper operation.

I participated as a Vehicle evaluator and had my 1931 68B evaluated and I enjoyed the evaluating process and was pleased with the evaluation of my Cabriolet.

Also my wife is the Early Bird News Letter Editor for the MAFCA 2014 meet in Puyallup WA.

go to and get your subscription form and "Gallup to the Puyallup"

http://www.2014mafcanational.org/

http://www.mafca.com/events/2014%20EarlyBird.pdf

http://www.gertieas.org/

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Yes.forms for meet are not out yet just the Early Bird News Letter, which has some benefits for registration. See www.2014mafcanational.org for early forms and news letter.

Registration forms were mailed to Early Bird Newsletter Subscribers today.

open registration for non Early Bird News Letter Subscribers will be in the Jan/Feb issue of the restorer

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
Old 10-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
quickchange

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I assume also there will be a modified class as at other meets ? Now that gives 5 classes which should suit everyone ?? more judges needed too, Any news on a speed event run by FAST the day before ?? Ford Barners meet ? We have already booked our 11hr plane flight as a special was on , Summertime in NZ.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
John LaVoy

Interesting the expansion....I wonder how the Roadster Pickup would fit in?
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
glenn in camino

I didn't see a modified class. Are they doing away with that class?
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
mot

reading dons post
In Bend I saw a lot of surprised and happy owners who came up and got an award of appreciation from Alex Janke
they cared to keep their car looking good and the club noted that ,and gave them an award stating so
I think its a step in the right direction
tom
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I didn't see a modified class. Are they doing away with that class?
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
I assume also there will be a modified class as at other meets ? Now that gives 5 classes which should suit everyone ?? more judges needed too, Any news on a speed event run by FAST the day before ?? Ford Barners meet ? We have already booked our 11hr plane flight as a special was on , Summertime in NZ.
Vehicle Judging from RG & JS page 5 Revised 1997 includes the following
Blue Ribbon
Touring
Original Unrestored
Modified

Restorers Class is totally separate from Vehicle judging

As I understand it Fast will be sponsoring an event.
There is a SIG Fast meeting on the agenda on Tuesday 7-14-2014 from 5:00pm to 7:00 pm

Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
quickchange

Thankyou for the two replies to above questions, This looks to be a great meet & i urge you all to try & attend, The organisers have been most helpful to our questions from down under, I know of 8 Rebel A,s chapter members who will be attending . Can,t wait .
Old 11-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
.............I know of 8 Rebel A,s chapter members who will be attending ..........

Quickchange I only have 7 registrations from NZ for the EBNL??

Old 11-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
quickchange

160B 4 couples i know of pos there will be more,
Old 11-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
160B

Here is the handout used at 2013 NW Regional Meet held in Bend Oregon for the Restoration Class Vehicle Evaluations

The Restorers Class

MAFCA RECOGNITION AWARD FOR THE EVERDAY MODEL A

Background:
The intent of the Restorers Class Awards is to recognize members who utilize their Model A Fords in support of the hobby through their adherence to a standard that reflects original manufacture and condition but are utilized as ‘daily drivers’. This is achieved through a high level of visual conformance to the appearance of a Model A Ford and being mechanically maintained to an acceptable standard.

This class recognizes the availability of many era and reproduction parts and products that permits a member to achieve visual conformance and maintenance of their vehicle. Further, the class allows for the limited modification of vehicles for the purpose of enhanced drivability and reliable operation. In the interests of safety during operation of the vehicle, modifications enhancing the protection of occupants are accepted without any penalization or restriction.

Rules:
1. Vehicles are evaluated and awarded points based upon condition, finish and originality.
2. “Award Point System” - each Model A starts at Zero points and has the potential to earn a maximum of 450 points.
3. Good era and reproduction parts are accepted; as identified they will receive a one less point.
4. Evaluators do not test any equipment as to its proper operation.
5. Strictly visual evaluation only, no tools or measuring devices used.
6. Vehicle evaluation includes Engine, Body, Plating, Interior, Tires/Wheels and Undercarriage areas.

Entry Criteria:
1. Model A as defined by Ford production (benchmark).
2. Engine – Model A or B.
3. No Modified or Speedster type vehicles.
4. Original or good reproduction parts as defined by Ford production for year and model.
5. Paint: Model A Color, correct for year & model. Slight variations or interpretations are acceptable.
6. Vehicle must be licensed and road worthy.

Contact information:
Carl Becker – Chairman
Email: [email protected]
250-655-1276

Permissible Items: (receive 0 points)
1. Overdrive
2. 12 volt system
3. Era Air Cleaner
4. Air Conditioner
5. Trailer Hitch
6. Accessories
7. Radial Tires
8. Radios

Accepted Safety Items:
1. Turn signals
2. Cast steel drums
3. Seat belts
4. Alternator
5. Hydraulic brakes
6. Additional rear view mirror
7. Right Hand Tail Lamp & base

Carl Becker – Chairman
Email: [email protected]

Last edited by 160B; 11-03-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Added contact information
Old 11-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
MBI Houston

Can someone explain Rule 3? Good era and reproduction parts are accepted; as identified they will receive a one less point. What is a good era part?
MBI Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
160B

MAFCA 2014 National Convention

Gallup to Puyallup

July 14 through 18, 2014

The Restorers Class

MAFCA RECOGNITION AWARD FOR THE EVERDAY MODEL A

Registration Form

Where: Vehicles will be evaluated in a designated parking area of the fairgrounds parking lot. You are
more than welcome to park and leave your vehicle for the day.
Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Dates: Monday -July 14th, Tuesday -July 15th, Wednesday -July 16th and Friday -July 18th . Friday’s
hours will be from 9:00 am to 12:00 noon.
Evaluations: There is no set time period for evaluations; they will be conducted throughout the day when our Evaluators are available. If you need to take your vehicle, you are more than welcome to so. Prior to or at the meet, you will be given a windshield placard to place in your vehicle while parked in the designated parking area. Once we evaluate your vehicle, we will pull the placard thus signaling that we are finished. Evaluations take approximately 30 minutes.
Name:
MAFCA 2014 National Convention Registration Number:
License Plate Number:
Vehicle Year:
Body Type:
Paint Color:
To evaluate your vehicle, we must open the hood (both sides), driver’s door and trunk or rumble seat deck lid.

Contact information:

Carl Becker – Chairman

MODEL A FORD CLUB OF AMERICA

Last edited by 160B; 11-03-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #17
160B

2014 MAFCA National Convention Gallup to Puyallup registration forms were included in the Jan/Feb Restorer and are also available at the following web site.

http://www.2014mafcanational.org/reg...ion-forms.html

Old 01-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
160B

2014 MAFCA National Convention Gallup to Puyallup registration forms were included in the Jan/Feb Restorer and are also available at the following web site.

http://www.2014mafcanational.org/reg...ion-forms.html

"btt"

Last edited by 160B; 01-24-2014 at 11:41 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 01-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #19
SAJ

The 7 registrations from NZ sound like our Auckland group. Maybe Derek hasn't registered yet ?. I know we have. Can't wait to get there.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #20
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
The 7 registrations from NZ sound like our Auckland group. Maybe Derek hasn't registered yet ?. I know we have. Can't wait to get there.
SAJ in NZ
We have 8 Early Bird Newsletter Subscribers from NZ. Of those 4 have completed the registration process.

Last edited by 160B; 01-24-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: changed the number of completed registrations from 5 to 4