Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2024, 08:02 PM   #41
32coupe

Default Re: T5 advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
I have the orig Ford truck trans that came with my 59A “industrial engine”. IIRC, that bearing retainer will not fit the Ford WC T5 I have. This is why I ordered an all steel new bearing retainer and had to have a sleeve machined for it so I could use an early Ford TO bearing.
You could have ordered the S10 T5 Bearing retainer as it will fit on any T5 and you could have used the Speedway sleeve. However as I posted above pressing a sleeve in the throwout bearing hub Like Cornhusker does is a better idea than pressing a sleeve on the retainer IMO anyhow, Far less likely to have troubles down the road as many guys who put real mileage on their cars have with those type of setups. On the Bond adapter it uses a original early ford bearing retainer and it fits over a s10 T5 bearing retainer perfectly and bolts to the adapter plate just like it bolts to a early ford transmission.
32coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 08:08 PM   #42
32coupe

Quote:
I have a 59A and used a Hogs Head and MDL adapter. No further mod to the bearing retainer other than the adding the sleeve.
That should work just fine. What I mentioned about the sleeves is in the past guys have had trouble with them getting loose and turning on the bearing retainer. So with MDL's hogshead plate you had to use the ford bearing retainer because it is machined for it. Does MDL not offer a press sleeve or Do they want you to buy their Throwout bearing? I haven't spoke to him in awhile but Paul at MDL is a good Guy and very Knowledgeable. Scratch what I said above as I did not know you were using the MDL hogshead adapter.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:16 PM   #43
Ziggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32coupe View Post
You could have ordered the S10 T5 Bearing retainer as it will fit on any T5 and you could have used the Speedway sleeve. However as I posted above pressing a sleeve in the throwout bearing hub Like Cornhusker does is a better idea than pressing a sleeve on the retainer IMO anyhow, Far less likely to have troubles down the road as many guys who put real mileage on their cars have with those type of setups. On the Bond adapter it uses a original early ford bearing retainer and it fits over a s10 T5 bearing retainer perfectly and bolts to the adapter plate just like it bolts to a early ford transmission.
Not sure what you are referring to? Could you please clarify? When I went down the road I did, I contacted MDL, Speedway, Hanlon Motorsport, and posted on here and the HAMB IIRC with regards to my dilemma of using a Ford T5 with the early Ford TO bearing. The only solution suggested by all was to use a sleeve on the bearing retainer/TO hub.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:01 PM   #44
32coupe

Quote:
Not sure what you are referring to? Could you please clarify? When I went down the road I did, I contacted MDL, Speedway, Hanlon Motorsport, and posted on here and the HAMB IIRC with regards to my dilemma of using a Ford T5 with the early Ford TO bearing. The only solution suggested by all was to use a sleeve on the bearing retainer/TO hub.
Here is a pic of Garys (cornhuskers kit) look at the throw out bearing. He presses a sleeve in the throwout bearing hub that fits on the T5 bearing retainer rather than pressing a sleeve on the bearing retainer to fit the early ford throwout bearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cornhusker T5 3.jpg (58.9 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by 32coupe; 01-24-2024 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:06 PM   #45
Ziggster

Ok. Thanks. I get it now. Would have never thought of it. Lol! Seems like like a better solution if done right, but I’m not worried about the sleeve coming loose on my bearing retainer.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:16 PM   #46
Ziggster

I’ve said it on the HAMB before, and I’ll mention here because as a complete Ford flathead novice, I just couldn’t believe that there was nothing off-the-shelf in terms of a sleeve to make use of the Ford T5. I felt as though I was the first person in the world mating the two together. One reason I guess for this is the fact that probably 95 plus percent of folks using a T5 behind a flathead are going the S10 T5 route.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:55 PM   #47
Krylon32

32 Coupe: Got curious about you so I checked with a friend in KC. I believe your Cowtown Speed Shop on the HAMB? Just received a response to my inquiry.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:18 PM   #48
32coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
32 Coupe: Got curious about you so I checked with a friend in KC. I believe your Cowtown Speed Shop on the HAMB? Just received a response to my inquiry.
Gary, I am unsure why you would be curious about me. Not like I am anybody special or anything. I tried to explain over and over that I in no way meant to offend you or hurt your feelings in anyway. This is a discussion Forum and in this thread you right off the bat started getting defensive. Go back to page one and read, You didn't start with me You started with "V8coopman" he just like me was just trying to be helpful. And because for whatever reason you didn't like what was being said you go into attack mode and start acting like a jerk. Or atleast the way your post read sounded like it anyhow. Bottomline is as I have already said you are entitled to your opinion, But so is everyone else on this site. I have no hard feelings towards you. Also I have to give you credit on your impressive Detective work on who you think I might be on the HAMB. Can I ask what your first clue was? Was it maybe the fact that it clearly says Cowtown Speed Shop on my Adapter plate? LOL Now I am just poking friendly fun at you. It's all good as far as I am concerned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t5 bond 6.jpg (42.1 KB, 163 views)
Old 01-24-2024, 11:38 PM   #49
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post

Man, I just typed "Cowtown Speed Shop" into my browser, and my PC just about jumped off the desk. I'd keep your kits going Gary, for what it's worth!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:53 PM   #50
32coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Man, I just typed "Cowtown Speed Shop" into my browser, and my PC just about jumped off the desk. I'd keep your kits going Gary, for what it's worth!

Coop

Fair enough, And I agree with you he should keep selling his kit. I went though a Bad time in my life and because of some Bad choices I made years ago They still haunt me today. But I have made good with 3 of the 4 People I did wrong. And I tried to make good with the 4th. However he would not let me no matter how hard I tried. but he did chime in on the thread and say that as far as he was concerned we were good. There is a lot of made up nonsense from the "#Me too" group on the hamb. Some of them don't even know what my name is let alone had ever had any dealings with me. Oh well I can't change the past nor am I gonna try. That was along time ago and a dark time in my life. I am not perfect nor have I ever claimed to be. None of that applies here on this discussion anyhow. To Anyone of you who has never done things they regret in life or has never done someone else wrong. Well my hats off to you, You are a better person than most.

Last edited by 32coupe; 01-25-2024 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-25-2024, 01:44 AM   #51
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 01:46 AM   #52
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32coupe View Post
Here is a pic of Garys (cornhuskers kit) look at the throw out bearing. He presses a sleeve in the throwout bearing hub that fits on the T5 bearing retainer rather than pressing a sleeve on the bearing retainer to fit the early ford throwout bearing.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 01-25-2024, 09:58 AM   #53
ssffnomad

Gentlemen, how are the Yankees looking this year ?
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 10:06 AM   #54
tubman

I was considering a T5 for my '51 as well. Then I realized that at my age, I would prefer shifting less, not more.

I opted to install a stock OD setup.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 11:22 AM   #55
flathead47

There is one other option instead of the hogs head & that is the one year only 1951 mercury bell that has the stock cross shaft & throw out fork. You need the same year starter plate. A simple flat adaptor plate is made to attach the bell & T5 together
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3488.jpg (40.0 KB, 126 views)
flathead47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 12:10 PM   #56
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead47 View Post
There is one other option instead of the hogs head & that is the one year only 1951 mercury bell that has the stock cross shaft & throw out fork. You need the same year starter plate. A simple flat adaptor plate is made to attach the bell & T5 together

Old 01-25-2024, 12:44 PM   #57
32coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead47 View Post
flathead47, Your right This is another good option as long as you are using a 49-52 motor. I have used this Bellhousing before with a 1/2 steel plate to adapt it to the T5. worked well
Old 01-25-2024, 01:34 PM   #58
Tim Ayers

What about the full sized stamped steel bellhousing found on on some late models as well? I'd assume that would would too.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM   #59
32coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
What about the full sized stamped steel bellhousing found on on some late models as well? I'd assume that would would too.
Tim, Depends on what you are putting it in as it doesn't work well in the earlier fords because it doesn't have the internal cross shaft and fork, Also like the merc bell you are limited to the 49-53 motors. Could you use it? Probably so, But there are better suited options
Old 01-25-2024, 03:41 PM   #60
Pete

There is a very simple adaption of a T5 to an 8ba block that you seldom hear about.
A Lakewood steel bell housing for a SBC was clamped and dialed in on the back of an 8ba block, then re-drilled to mate to the block.
All of the rest of the installation behind the block was stock parts. Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, fork and bearing. Absolutely no mods to the transmission.

The only thing maybe keeping people from this adaption is, you need to modify an aluminum SBC flywheel by plugging one mounting hole and re-drilling the flange to flathead Ford.
Then fabricating a mounting bracket for the starter.
I used a mini starter but a stock one would work ok.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote