Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-18-2022, 12:46 PM   #1301
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Bob, Mark,
Thanks. I have purchased the right and left hand spindle arms as NOS. Right or worng we continue to fall forward!
Thanks for the support on the "ragged ol truck"!
Thanks to John (42 Deluxe) on setting me straight on the part numbers for some of these Ford items! A big help and I am for sure learning!
Now to see about the worn pitman arm. Humm? Will PM Barnfind08 on that one.
Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 01:37 PM   #1302
Bob C

Looks like the pitman arm only fits the big truck and is a one year only item,
BB-3590-AR.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 02:05 PM   #1303
sugarmaker

Bob,
I have not removed mine yet but that is the pitman arm number for the big truck.
That one is the most worn of all of the pivot points. Humm, may find one, if not may have to repair that one?
Thanks folks for the help. Not a cheap date on the parts but I do like having NOS parts to replace these worn steering components. The old ones will be put away with the rest of the 32 parts.
Hope things are good in Ford land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 04-20-2022, 07:06 AM   #1304
sugarmaker

Folks,
Brief steering update:
Pulled the pitman arm from the truck last night.

These pictures are a little rough. Parts and grease is at lest 80 years old!

This is the wear on the pitman arm ball:

End of drag link, much clean up to do to be ready for some new parts to bring this back to good working order:

Weather is back to winter mode, with threats that it will get warm again someday soon???

Have a NOS pitman arm located from South Side Obsolete Parts. Also ordered some of the replacement parts for inside the drag link and tie rod ends. So maybe in a week or so I can have the 32 back together and do a test drive to see if it is driving better.
Then we should be ready for that reworked block to arrive and start to assembly a fresh "B" engine this spring.
Couple of shows I would like to take the truck to this summer. So there are lots of moves to make! Thanks for checking in on me and the "ragged ol' truck"!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 04-20-2022 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:23 PM   #1305
sugarmaker

Folks,
I know these pictures are pretty rough with the grease and grime.
Here is the new spindle above the old one.

The size of the ball is supposed to be near 1.00 inch. The old ones are about .040 under size from 20 years of wear. So I dont think they were ever changed!
Just a scuff around the mounting areas and the ball portions and this will be ready to go back on the truck. Nope no paint will be applied. I will leave that for the next guy!

I somehow ordered the wrong spindle for the right side from a guy in Texas seems it is for a 35-36 Ford truck and is longer in the drop portion where the ball sets.
So while talking to Sam from Vintage Ford parts (where I got the left spindle) he said he had the correct right spindle also. Sent me some pictures and confirmed the part numbers and that should be here early next week. it is a BB-3130-R from the pictures looks fine!

So I probably will list that other spindle for sale as the guy from Texas was not interested in me returning it. But I will ask him nicely again.

My old spindle on the left the incorrect one on the right. Its number is 51-3130-AR. I may have gotten confused with the 3130 number portion and ignored the prefix and suffix differences? I cant find the ebay information from the advertised description.

This is well worn! Yikes, I did not buy new ends but maybe should have. Will see how they clean up, and the new parts fit. Still a option.

Hope to get some improved pictures for you as these steering parts go back together.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 04-21-2022 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 08:28 PM   #1306
sugarmaker

Ford barn folks,
I have received all the steering components NOS or new, except for the pitman arm. That may arrive next week.
Thanks to Sam at Vintage Ford Parts, and Snyder's.
I also purchased a oil pump and a new drive gear for the reworked "B" engine which will be here at some point
Hope things are good.
I am finally finishing my wood on the walls in the loft above the shop.
Has been a good diversion from mechanical things.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 04-24-2022, 02:35 AM   #1307
Randy in ca

If there's any chance you're apt to want a new drag link, I noticed this one on eBay. Currently at $0.01 bid and ending this morning. Pretty expensive shipping though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394035115213
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 08:22 AM   #1308
sugarmaker

Randy,
Thanks, 42 deluxe mentioned this also. But: mine is straight?? So I am not sure this would work on my truck??
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 04-24-2022, 09:56 AM   #1309
DavidG

Chris,

Your drag link is straight; the one on ebay is incorrectly labeled.

Who sold you the spindle arm with the 51-3130 spindle arm wrapped and labeled AA-3130 to conceal its true identity? Pretty sneaky.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:34 AM   #1310
sugarmaker

David,
I am working with the seller on the spindle which I think was mis represented. Hope to work this out and all will be good.
Yes my drag link does not have the bend. I think Michael D. has the one listed with the bend.
It's all good! These things are 90 years old, well the design. And just getting educated on the green bible by 42 Deluxe, I can start to see some of the Ford numbering logic.
Good news is that my truck is very complete and close to original. Sure helps when you can be pretty certain the parts are original or Ford parts for the correct unit
Hope things are good. Looking forward to you stopping in to visit. Weather is awesome here today!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 04-24-2022, 12:21 PM   #1311
DavidG

Chris,

Be careful in using the so-called "Green Bible" as it a listing of then-available service parts 16 years after your truck was produced. That means that most of the components that your truck was built with aren't in that publication or if they are there they may differ from your original parts even though functionally the same. If you do not already have them, look for the 1932 chassis and body parts catalogs on Amazon and ebay. Both were reprinted at one time and turn up regularly and inexpensively.
Old 04-24-2022, 01:11 PM   #1312
DavidG

Chris,

The more I thought about that drag link listing on ebay referenced above, the more troubled I became. With a little homework, my troubles were resolved and I've let Michael know the error in his listing. (I suspect that he acquired that drag link along with a bunch of other parts and the misleading tag was already on the drag link before he acquired it,)

To shorten the story, there never was a Ford part with the number BB-3305 nor was there a drag link unique to Ford's 1932 model big trucks. In fact, what your truck was built with was a B-3305 drag link, the same one used on all LHD '32 passenger cars and commercial vehicles. And it wasn't just the drag link as all of the parts in the ends of the drag link were the same as used all 1932-34 Fords.

If you haven't already purchased the various drag link internal components, please let me know.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:00 PM   #1313
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks for keeping the 32 Ford world upright! Your support is always appreciated!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 04-30-2022, 08:13 AM   #1314
sugarmaker

Ford folks,
Ok I did receive the pitman arm BB 3590 in a very timely fashion.

By the way the incorrect right spindle was returned to the seller and he has assured me I will get my funds back. Very nice working with him in Texas. We move forward!

It is not the same as the one that came off the truck. Humm. Now what did I do wrong?
Will the new one work?? Some pictures. The offset of the ball is about 1 inch less than the original. Other than that it may work fine? Maybe its even the right one?? Could the one on the truck have been changed? Did Ford have a special that moved the ball towards the centerline more to move the drag link away from the tire?? I will do some more playing with it. some pics. By the way the old one has no numbers embossed on it.
The black one is from the truck:

I will check back later for any words of wisdom.

Had good inputs in may areas concerning 1932 big trucks from Robert R in Wyoming. He suggested that maybe my speedometer was swapped out and the 90 mph one was not the factory unit which he felt was a 80 mph item. Interesting. He also feels the truck may have had less than 50,000 miles for the condition it is in?? He has LOTS of good information. Looking forward to seeing pictures of his truck projects on the Ford Barn too!

Spending the day working on the shop roofing repairs after 75 MPH winds removed some of the ridge cap. Time to mow lawns also!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 04-30-2022, 10:45 AM   #1315
Bob C

I wonder if that new pitman arm goes with the drag link with the bend in it for
the 1933-34 trucks. The 1932 pitman arm is BB-3590-AR and the 1933-34
is BB-3590-B.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 06:14 PM   #1316
Bored&Stroked

If the new NOS pitman arm is the only one you can find, then I would mock it up with the drag link and see how things look. One could use a good ole' rosebud tip on an oxy/acet torch and probably reshape the new one to match the old. I don't see an issue in doing so - if that is your last resort.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:57 PM   #1317
sugarmaker

Folks,
After some talking and looking the new pitman arm has a B suffix. Which I believe is for a 33-34 truck. But I will do a mock up and look for interferences. Heating and bending, yea I did think of that. But will be a last resort .
The offset towards the truck center line is the only difference..
John (42 Deluxe) and his wife stopped in tonight in their very nice 48 Ford!
Also Austin E stopped and his dad is working on a 48 Ford truck. He is going to help me with a metal project in the shop loft.
I did get about half of the ridge vent shingle cap installed on the shop today. And then mowed most of the yard. Have to cram it all in with summer only one day a week!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 05-01-2022, 08:02 AM   #1318
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaker View Post
Folks,
After some talking and looking the new pitman arm has a B suffix. Which I believe is for a 33-34 truck. But I will do a mock up and look for interferences. Heating and bending, yea I did think of that. But will be a last resort .
The offset towards the truck center line is the only difference..
John (42 Deluxe) and his wife stopped in tonight in their very nice 48 Ford!
Also Austin E stopped and his dad is working on a 48 Ford truck. He is going to help me with a metal project in the shop loft.
I did get about half of the ridge vent shingle cap installed on the shop today. And then mowed most of the yard. Have to cram it all in with summer only one day a week!
Regards,
Chris

But when summer finally returns for all 7 days a week you'll be plenty busy with mowing chores thanks to all the late season rain.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:24 PM   #1319
sugarmaker

5150bat, folks,
Good news is that for some strange reason, I do like to mow. But we may have to mow every 4th day with the rain! Very green here.

Ok I will have some pictures later in the 32 steering up grades.
The status is that it is done for now. Have not test drove it yet rain!
Everything worked great on the spindles and the drag link. The pitman arm BB 3590B just did not look correct. Close but not in line with the drag link. Soooooo. I chose to add material to the ball on the original. I used the seal support from Snyder's as a visual gave, as I worked it back into a sphere. Perfect? No! Way better? I think so.
Everything back together and truck on the tires again. Thanks for all the suggestions and support!
Now to take Cheryl to one of those fancy restaurants! It's the state law!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 05-01-2022, 12:25 PM   #1320
Bored&Stroked

Did you use some sort of hard-face type of welding rod?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote