Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Bruno

Default Starting flatheads

I sometimes don't start my '52 F1 for a couple of days or more - know it must lose its "prime" on gas to carb - seems to take a good bit of cranking and pumping the gas pedal to get it going. Is there a better way to start it after a few days of sitting? Prime the carb somehow?? Once it has run for a bit and has reached good operating temp, it starts well. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0001.jpg (87.0 KB, 13 views)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
4dFord/SC

Default Re: Starting flatheads

Some of us have electric fuel pumps for just that purpose; others just pour a little gas in the carburetor.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

I installed an electric fuel pump back near the tank. If my truck sits for several days I hit the button for the electric pump, let it hit a few licks then stop. I then pull out the choke about 1/2 to 3/4 inch, hit the gas pedal once to get a squirt into the carb, then hit the starter. It usually starts right up. It will start on the first lick almost every time. Gradually push the choke back in as she warms up.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

I drive my 40 in the storage barn every fall. 3-4 days ago I got spring feaver. Went up to the barn, removed the sheets on the car, hooked the cable up on the batt, turned the key on, the electric pump filled the 4 barbs, pumped it a couple of times, pulled the ckoke, vroooom, it didn't turn over one rev and fired right up. That little electric pump, back by the tank has been on there 35yr's, fuel pressure set at 3-1/2#. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
G.M.

I don't have an electric pump on any of the 6 or more old Fords I drive. I use Bob Shewmans, [email protected] flex hose with a check valve built in the pump fitting. This holds the fuel in the pump. With this hose andton 6 volts with 2/0 cables it starts on the first turn of the engine just about every time. On others that sit for 8 months I remove the air cleaner give it a couple shots of starter fluid as it is cranking and it starts right up if it starts to die give a couple short shots and that's it. G.M.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #6

If my stock flatheads have not been started for some time, I pour a little gas in the carb, followed by a shot of starting fluid and then they usually fire right up...
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
39portlander

I second that G.M. I got "hosed" last month and it is well made. The FH-2V W/built in check valve is a must Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
G.M.

Scott up where you live you should get a set of Bobs 180 degree stats. I have them in my 39 convertible and the temperature is between 178 and 182 in weather from 50 degrees (that's about as cold as it gets here) to 90 every time I check it. I find the engine runs extra smooth when running at the same temperature all the time. I just ordered a set for my 39 P/U plus a carb base insulator. They should be here tomorrow. The fuel pump on the P/U is staying cool with the side hood vents, even the firewall don't get as hot. The carb gas bowl is getting to hot so I'm going to put the insulate spacer from Bob under the carb. After I test the carb temp with the vented spacer I will reduce the heat riser holes to 1/4" this way I can see the improvent from the spacer then the partialy blocked heat riser. Also the heat on the intake manifold where the carb bolts on and the base of the carb before and after the spacer. G.M.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
Dick Webber

I, too, use an electric pump on my 49 Mercury and it saves a lot of cranking after the car has set more than 3 or 4 days. Turn it on, wait a few seconds then start and shut it off. Seems like it has helped push through an occasional vapor lock as well.
Dick Webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
49r

Fitting an electric fuel pump under the cab on my 49 F1 for starting was one of the best things I've ever done to it.
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
31chevy

I too have an electric pump back near the tank,only need it if my pickup has been setting for quite awhile. Plus it is nice knowing if the mechanical should fail you have a backup.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
36Bill

Are you electric pump users also using the stock pump? It sounds as if the electric is used only as needed to start?

Bill
36Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
Firepower flyer

I must be lucky,my 50 f1 will sit a week or more and if I pump the throttle once it will fire right up with no issues.This is on a untouched truck,stock pump and I rebuilt the 7RT carb.I'm waiting for the new gas to ruin my good old Ford fuel pump
Joe
Firepower flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
flathead 53

Wink Re: Starting flatheads

my 53 f-100 can sit for a week ,i just pull choke all the way hit the button and it starts ,i have a new carb ,new stock fuel pump.
flathead 53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
columbiA

A leaking power valve will empty the bowl if it sits for a week or so.It will also make for hard starting when hot when it floods the engine.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #16
Mr 42

I dont like the Electric pump in line with original pump, I think there is a risk that you will pump fuel into the oilpan if the original pump membran is faulty.

The fuel should not leak out of the carb after one or two weeks (even three or four), If you let the car stand for a week or so remove the top of the carb and check the fuel level, Should be almost normal. If not fix the carb.

If that's Ok and it still hardstarted double check the fuel lines for small airleaks, that allow's the fuel to drain back.

Had a problem with a modern fuel line that had "cloth" around it but the rubber was cracked letting air in but not fuel out= hard started after a week.

Check all connections for airleaks.

Recently had a 59AB that was hardstarted after a day or so (sometimes a couple of hours) , after replacing the fuelpump a couple of times, we found out the the fuelpump inlet connection was a botch job letting in small amounts of air allowing the fuel drain back to reach the same level as in the fueltank, in a short time,

when restarted it had a BIG problem sucking up the fuel
and it was the connection of the fuel line the was screwed up (not Original).

Works great now.

New fuel is hard on rubber so double check it.
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #17
Brendan

pull the choke, flip the switch, step on the starter, and comes to life, then push the choke in 1/2 way!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #18
49r

The various 94 carbs I've run at different times have all run out of prime on day four - meaning grinding on the starter to fill the carb. Never any starting issues with any of them (pre-day four) and all have run sweetly. My latest carb has just been rebuild and is the same. It feeds my 8BA via the mechanical pump with a 6 volt Carter electric fuel pump in the line for starting (post-day four). I had to install a bypass and non-return valve though as resistance in the electric pump meant the mechanical pump couldn't deliver enough fuel over 40 mph. I subsequently discovered the Airtex pumps don't require this and are the better way to go.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #19
Mart

The UK spec pumps have a hand primer on them. Just a few pulls re-primes the carb(s). I didn't realise this feature wasn't universal. Probably because most UK stuff is ex military, I can see it being useful for a military vehicle.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:19 AM   #20
49r

My father's V8 Pilot had a hand primer on the fuel pump.