Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #21
dennisonk1957

Default Re: Spoiled by my Model A....

Bill, I alway enjoy your replies on these forums...interesting, polite, and knowledgeable!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:00 AM   #22
sturgis 39

I would be scared to take a round headlight car or truck to a Jiffy Lube. I am afraid they would miss half of the zerks, over grease the throughout bearing, etc.They may not know what a grease zerk is because spell check does not know or am I spelling it wrong too.

I know one of my old Power wagons 41 to 52 would have a lube technician completely baffled. I am sure that there are some lube technicians that may be into old cars but I think a lot of them are waiting for a cleaner position at Taco Johns.

I know I would hate to work at Tire,Lube Express at Walmart. There is one guy at the local Walmart store that tries to stock 6 volt batteries despite the manager comment that they do not make six volt car batteries.

Maybe we do not like working on new cars because we have kind of a limited knowledge and limited tools. My newest vehicle is a 90 GMC pickup and it is not too bad to work on and there is lots of room in the engine compartment. The 400,000 mile 89 Olds is another story.

I have been looking for a replacement for the 89 Olds but cash for clunkers has kind of raised the price of used cars and you do not get much but a bunch of more problems for a couple of thousand dollars.

Mom bought her Model "A" for 85 bucks. She loved that car. She could crank the car correctly and make most of the repairs herself if my dad was working out of town. We had a 5:30 mass on Sunday and I remember she would get the Model "A" started and I had the double shakes from the car shaking and because it was cold outside. Those were fun times. The funny thing is I never knew or thought we were poor.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #23
ronn

Frank, think you solved the problem in my 93 Jeep grand cherokee-have had it looked at by mechanic after mechanic....
After sitting out in the yard for 5 years, am about to scrap it.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #24
jr-41ford

"Wish we were like Washington and Oregon where salt goes on food, not the roads, and car bodies last for decades... "

Frank, I live in south eastern Washington state, where it is desert. We do get snow and the cities, counties, and state road departments do put a liquid ice melt on the roads.

I would rather see them bring back the sand and salt, rather than the ice melt. This stuff is very corrosive, but they say it is environmentally friendly. It's very hard to continually keep the stuff off the wheels and it will eat the paint off the wheels.

This stuff will also ruin your concrete driveways when it drips off your wheels and underside of the cars.

I do not drive my hot rods with mag wheels, will mess them up too. I do have a set of wheels just for Model A winter driving.

I'd rather see them bring back the sand and salt, but not like the upper Mid-West states.
jr-41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #25
Special Coupe Frank

Thanks all for the replies, Jeep-related or otherwise... it's nice to have a place to come to and rap with other folk who get grease under their fingernails...

The humor that inevitably finds its way into most of these threads helps take the sometimes sour taste of everyday life out of the back of one's mouth...

Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
P.S.

So true, Frank!

My wife used to get so irritated with me that when I bought her a new car (I have bought her 2 new and 2 used cars during our marriage), I would always insist she knew how to change a tire, check fluids, etc. before being "allowed" to drive anywhere in it. Her mom even got into the act once with a "how dare you.." kind of thing. I put her in place real quick with the head of household bit.

Well, fast forward some years and wifey was out late with a friend coming home from one of their girlie things they do that I avoid, when the car got a flat. Rather than be stuck on the side of a darkening highway waiting for a tow truck driver to come change the tire or some creep to do worse, she didn't hesitate, and did it herself and they got back on their way.

Next thing you know, the girls are all impressed with the wifey for being so self-reliant, and suddenly, my 'policy' is a good one. Shut her mom up real quick too.

It's amazing, and a little disturbing, how many able-bodied people we pass on the side of the road with a flat tire, talking on their cellphones. If I don;t see a cellphone, and it looks safe, I sometimes stop to offer assistance. People look dumbfounded when they are told the tire can be changed without a "professional".

You guys are pretty self-reliant with your cars, so you take it for granted. But I'm serious that at least 99% of the population is helpless when the car doesn't go. I do volunteer work with law enforcement and pretty close to 80% of the mobile 911 calls are for roadside assistance. That's a very sad commentary on today's drivers. Imagine how many of those calls would never happen if they knew how to change a tire or even check for spark or fuel (or -God forbid- notice the fuel guage!).
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
Karl

I hate computers in cars. Our Nisssan Murano daily driver has been in the shop recently with a simple 4WD warning light on the dash . Took them 20 hours to find that the 4WD computer was at fault. When I asked what took so long the response was "we had trouble communicating with the vehicle" !!! Unfortunately we now live in an era when a mechanic is a plug the computer in, find the faulty part and then fit it person. May be appropriate for today but still sad ! Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #28
Special Coupe Frank

Still chasing the gremlins... crankposition sensor tested good, as did every other sensor...

Fuel pressure (46-48 lbs) was in the middle of the range...

Intake vacuum was interesting - at lowest steady throttle that would keep the engine running (2000-2300 rpm), the vacuum read between 2 and 5 inches, with the needle fluttering. If I revved the engine up to about 4000 rpm, and suddenly released the accelerator, the vacuum would only come-up to about 7 inches, needle steady, then back down.

Sure seems like late valve timing to me...

SC Frank
Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #29
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
Thanks all for the replies, Jeep-related or otherwise... it's nice to have a place to come to and rap with other folk who get grease under their fingernails...

The humor that inevitably finds its way into most of these threads helps take the sometimes sour taste of everyday life out of the back of one's mouth...

Frank,
Right on Brother! When I try to make someone laugh, I laugh at my own stuff, (Am I a sick man?) and the Dog wiggles his short changed tail, and I forget about this & that, that HURTS! Pat's been gone for 4 months, if she was here, she'd laugh. She laughed at me for 55 years! Pat liked the crud under my fingernails & my rough old hands, 'cause she knew I could make any old crappy car SING, "On the road again, I just can't wait to get on the road again!" Bill W.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #30
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
People look dumbfounded when they are told the tire can be changed without a "professional".
I do volunteer work with law enforcement and pretty close to 80% of the mobile 911 calls are for roadside assistance. That's a very sad commentary on today's drivers. Imagine how many of those calls would never happen if they knew how to change a tire or even check for spark or fuel (or -God forbid- notice the fuel guage!).
We live in an "information age" and some cellphones can even use the internet. For all the knowledge available these days you think people would take advantage of it.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #31
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Not to mention those new solid-state muffler bearings!
I won't swear to it, but the last time I was browsing the cleaners / additives section of my local autoparts store, I could swear I saw a big jug labelled "Diesel Exhaust Fluid" ?

Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #32
Special Coupe Frank

Speaking of additives, maybe I'll coax the old Model A up into the hills, and see if I can score a jug of Granny Clampett's "tonic" , and give the Jeep a few gulps of that...

Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #33
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
I won't swear to it, but the last time I was browsing the cleaners / additives section of my local autoparts store, I could swear I saw a big jug labelled "Diesel Exhaust Fluid" ?

Basically a urea type solution or similar, the new diesels use it to reduce emissions.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #34
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29ModelA View Post
Basically a urea type solution or similar, the new diesels use it to reduce emissions.
REDUCE EMISSIONS?? Hmm! Maybe a shot glass of this stuff, along with my A.M. pills, would help me pass smog! (The Dog just laughed I told him, you don't smell like a ROSE yourself, buddy!) Bill W.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #35
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
REDUCE EMISSIONS?? Hmm! Maybe a shot glass of this stuff, along with my A.M. pills, would help me pass smog! (The Dog just laughed I told him, you don't smell like a ROSE yourself, buddy!) Bill W.
You're a riot, Bill !

Thanks for making me smile !

SC Frank
Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
P.S.

Spraying a fine mist of urea into a diesel exhaust stream mixed with fresh air acts like a catalytic converter of sorts and finishes off any unburned oil in the exhaust flow. It's called a Diesel Particulate Filter (or DPF).

If you look at the tailpipe of some of the new diesels, you won't see any soot. The inside of the tailpipe is still shiny. If you see a modern diesel with soot in the tailpipe, then you know they ran out of urea at some point!

Ahhh... Technology.

Of course, there is a downside to the new diesel technology. If you should happen to run older sulphur type fuel, or ag fuel, you get a neat lowrider flame effect:

This tends to make new truck owners go hyper-ballistic when they see that, or the wife sees it as you pull out of the driveway. Though somewhat harmless, it does raise their blood pressure.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #37
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:

If you look at the tailpipe of some of the new diesels, you won't see any soot. The inside of the tailpipe is still shiny. If you see a modern diesel with soot in the tailpipe, then you know they ran out of urea at some point!

Some of the Diesel pick-up cowboys around here seem to have contests to see whose truck can belch the most black smoke when taking-off form a stop-light... these are the same comedians with the 6-inch stacks poking-up from the pick-up bed... I'd love to stuff a few cantaloupe down those pipes some night, and next day watch 'em try to figure-out why their truck won't run for s__t...
Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #38
P.S.

Yea, that seems to be the rage out here on the left coast as well. They appear to be on the same page. It is all too common to see someone in a Prius yelling at one of the diesel smoke fans at a stop light, soon followed by the predictable cubic ton of diesel soot enveloping the Prius as the light turns green. I don't know why they get such a kick out of that, but I suspect that if any state is going to have a reaction to this new "hobby", the republik of Kalifornia will be the first to introduce some legislation.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #39
sturgis 39

Quote:
Yea, that seems to be the rage out here on the left coast as well. They appear to be on the same page. It is all too common to see someone in a Prius yelling at one of the diesel smoke fans at a stop light, soon followed by the predictable cubic ton of diesel soot enveloping the Prius as the light turns green. I don't know why they get such a kick out of that, but I suspect that if any state is going to have a reaction to this new "hobby", the republik of Kalifornia will be the first to introduce some legislation.

You should go to Gillette, Wyoming. They have a great diesel technical school.
I think it is funny to watch those young kids with their smoke bellowing pickups.

They are no different than hot rodders in the fifties with cherry bomb mufflers.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote