Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2021, 02:27 PM   #1
bucket-o-rust

Default King pin replace

Will the king pin reamer that Snyder's catalog has for sale work ok for a do it youself at home mechanic. I have a new old stock king pin set that I will be using?
bucket-o-rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
aermotor

Default Re: King pin replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket-o-rust View Post
Will the king pin reamer that Snyder's catalog has for sale work ok for a do it youself at home mechanic. I have a new old stock king pin set that I will be using?
I would have it hone fitted at a local machine shop. John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

I would take it to a local machine shop and have it honed. It will be better and if you are doing one it might even be less expensive.

Charles Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:54 PM   #4
Mulletwagon

Yes, did it. Be sure to replace the bushings in a sequence. After pressing in one new bushing, run the reamer through the old bushing into the new bushing so the bore is centered. After pressing in the remaining bushing run the reamer through the "just reamed" bushing to ensure the remaining bushing is reamed true. Take your time, use cutting fluid, and keep the reamer free of chips to the max possible (make the cut in steps and clean the reamer in between cuts). Should have a nice fit afterwards. Good luck.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
Ed in Maine

I agree with all the suggestions above. There is nothing worse than going thru a lot of work only to find that you have kings pins that are slightly loose and you haven't even used them yet. Years ago I did this job at home and I borrowed an adjustable reamer. You would turn an adjuster to advance the knives and then lock them in place before use. If I knew what I was doing, it should have done a good job. I also found that the pins can be poorly manufactured, being out of round. You end up taking too much material out of the bushings when in fact you are chasing high spots on the pins. It is best to let a professional do the job. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #6
JayJay

To consolidate a lot of what's above and maybe add in some additional thoughts: what you want to end up with is kingpins and bushings that are concentric but differ in diameter by a very small clearance amount. By using the reamer you are assuming that the kingpins are straight, smooth and concentric, and at the reamer size is appropriate. Yes, you're using NOS, so the quality of the kingpins makes at least their dimensions more reliable. But by having these honed in by a machine shop you are not only avoiding spending $150+ for a reamer you may use on only one or two projects, you are betting that all the dimensions and alignment are proper. Last time I rebuilt a Model A front end was in 1970, and I reamed the bushings and everything fit fine. Now faced with doing it again (for likely the last time in my life!) I'll likely sub that out.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:06 PM   #7
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

If you do use a reamer, be sure you never turn it counterclockwise. You can ruin it with one little twist backwards.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
J Franklin

A good machinist can do the job and give you peace of mind. Most likely at less cost than the reamer.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #9
Synchro909

Whenever this topic comes up, people chime in saying the bushes should be honed. NO! we are looking for a ROUND hole on size. Honing will not make an oval shaped hole round. A ream will.
I ream till they are still a bit tight, then use the part of an old king pin that was in the axle and some lapping paste to burnish them to a good fit. I end up with contact all the way around the bush, not just on the tops of ridges left by the ream. A thorough clean before assembly is a must
Old 01-08-2021, 09:18 PM   #10
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket-o-rust View Post
Yes! That is a precision reamer, It will give you a perfectly round hole of the correct size.
All the stories about ridges and chatter were done with adjustable and straight blade reamers.
They were reamed at the factory.

Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:38 PM   #11
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Whenever this topic comes up, people chime in saying the bushes should be honed. NO! we are looking for a ROUND hole on size. Honing will not make an oval shaped hole round.
You better go back to school on that one.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:39 PM   #12
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
A good machinist can do the job and give you peace of mind. Most likely at less cost than the reamer.
Emphasis on a GOOD machinist. He will give you a good final fit. I don't know how cheap the reamers are or your skill, but when I had mine done it was cheaper than buying the reamer and he placed the bushes also. I supplied the parts.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:53 PM   #13
J Franklin

Quote:
Whenever this topic comes up, people chime in saying the bushes should be honed. NO! we are looking for a ROUND hole on size. Honing will not make an oval shaped hole round. A ream will.
I ream till they are still a bit tight, then use the part of an old king pin that was in the axle and some lapping paste to burnish them to a good fit. I end up with contact all the way around the bush, not just on the tops of ridges left by the ream. A thorough clean before assembly is a must
You are getting a good fit by being slow and precise in your work. I'm sure you would agree that many are not that careful. I let work out my door when it makes sense. I have saved parts that others didn't want to touch, but I am happy letting a shop do my machine work. My machining experience ended in High school. But as a trade off I am a reasonably good mechanic and do my own paint too.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:29 AM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
You better go back to school on that one.
You don't want a round hole????
Old 01-09-2021, 01:51 AM   #15
rich b

Are you saying a Sonnen pin hone does not make round holes in kingpin bushings?
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:00 AM   #16
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Are you saying a Sonnen pin hone does not make round holes in kingpin bushings?
I had to google to see what a Sonnen Pin Hone was was. This is what I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UqmpMME88 which looks VERY agricultural to me. Those big end bearings are not likely to be square to the axis of the con rod nor round nor parallel. Hand held is not good enough.
Apart from the difficulty keeping square and parallel, the hole may be round if it was round before using that machine. As I said, a hone will not make an oval hole round. It will only follow the shape that was there before the hone was used.

Last edited by Synchro909; 01-09-2021 at 03:35 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:39 AM   #17
bbrocksr

Quote:
I had to google to see what a Sonnen Pin Hone was was. This is what I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UqmpMME88 which looks VERY agricultural to me. Those big end bearings are not likely to be square to the axis of the con rod nor round nor parallel. Hand held is not good enough.
Wrist pin bushings are reamed with a precision reamer in a fixture to maintain alignment in aircraft engines.
if precision reaming is good enough for aircraft wrist pin bushings it's good enough for king pin bushings.

Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:31 AM   #18
Synchro909

Reaming is fine, especially precision reaming but honing has limitations as I have described.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:04 AM   #19
Fordafan

My kingpins are the original and a bit worn to about .810 diameter. I bought a 13/16 reamer off eBay (.8125 diameter). I replaced the most worn bearing first and used the other one as a guide, then replaced the other bearing using the first one as the guide. The reamer flutes are long enough to go through both bearings at the same time. The reamer in good condition cost me 35.00 + shipping. Worked for me.
Fordafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:44 AM   #20
rickd

I just did my king pins using the Snyders reamer on my first Model A. Long time Model T guy (30 years) enjoying my new 28 Roadster. I followed the Les Andrews book. I pressed in both new bushings first, then did the reaming. The reamer has a smaller front end that does a preliminary reaming and keeps the reamer in line with both bushings as the second wider part of the reamer passes through the bushing. Flip the spindle over and do it again. Nice results, king pin fits nicely without play.
rickd is offline   Reply With Quote