Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
mhsprecher

Default Starter failure

I have been helping a fellow club member get his car started. It is turning over very slowly. We replaced the starter a few months ago and he has only driven it a few times since then. It started easily as recently as last week.

During the diagnosis, I checked with a voltmeter the connection and ground per Les Andrews troubleshooting book. All checked out. I removed the starter switch and cleaned the connections, removed the fuse block from the starter to see if there was a problem with that, cleaned battery connections, cleaned the ground, ran a ground from the ground strap to the engine. Still barely turns over.

Voltage on battery was 6.2. During cranking it would reduce to 4.8 - 5 volts. Thinking it had a bad cell, we replaced the battery and no change.

My question is, could a starter have failed after only a half a dozen or so starts? Seems odd to me. The previous starter didn't last long in terms of actual use, either. Is there an electrical or operational condition that would cause repeated starter failures, or just bad luck on replacement parts?

Thanks.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote