Go Back   The Ford Barn > To The Editors > Questions & Suggestions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
Raptorgap

Default 1950 Ford F1 Flathead V8 starting issues

SO fellow members. I need your experience. Here is the total story.

Truck had no issues starting from the moment I bought it. The generator started making noise so I pulled it and had it rebuilt. From there I had a few attempts after I installed it to polarize it properly. I replaced the battery, voltage regulator and then polarized it again and it seemed to work. I drove the truck to a car show over 150 miles with multiple stops and no problems. I thought it was fixed. Fast forward a few weeks and it was a nice day so I decided to take the truck out. I started it, pulled it out of the garage and headed to the gas station. Again, it started great and ran beautifully! I drove to the gas station (about 2 miles away) and shut it off. Filled it up and it will not start. When I hit the start button a single click is heard. I tried to jump start it and nothing. single click. I pulled the battery and charged it, took it down and had it load tested. All is good. Pulled the generator again and had it checked. All is good. Replaced the voltage regulator again (from autozone) and again, single click. I tried a stater solenoid from autozone they said would work and it didn't even click so I put the old one back. Such a simple system but I am lost on what happened. Everything was good till I rebuilt the generator. Would my starter button cause this? Has any of you experienced this and have some direction for me?
Raptorgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:15 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: 1950 Ford F1 Flathead V8 starting issues

If you have a question about your car ask in one of the forums. There are 4 sections Model T, Model A, Early V8 and Late V8. The posting on those 4 is more directed to stock type cars and trucks.
If it's a customizing type question try;
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/
If you have a 32 to 34 4 cylinder engine question try the Model A section.

The editors/owners do not answer car questions.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
steven a

replace the starter
steven a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
Truckintom

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I think you should stick with what the basic problem is and diagnose from there, if the starter does not engage and crank the engine over, find out why, the generator and the regulator supply dc volts and amps to the battery, I saw nothing about testing the starter? Hope this helps?
Truckintom is offline   Reply With Quote