Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #21
pgerhardt

Default Re: Leg room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I plan to move my 29 Tudor seats back a couple inches, and I wouldn't bend my shift lever. I'm actually OK with the seats as is, but a couple inches back would be more comfortable and make getting in easier.

I would never just push the shift lever to the side to bend it, but would make a tool like Y-Blockhead shows to bend the lever.
I used those longer seat brackets turned rearward The picture below shows how much space I gained.

As far as bending the shift lever. . . I was looking at it and thought, "This is no Bugatti, or Rolls Royce, plus I had a couple of extra transmissions, so said to myself," What the h*ll, and pulled. The lever bent VERY easily. Which is probably how it wound up leaning toward the drivers side in the first place. But your milage may vary. Do so at your own risk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-06-27 at 10.51.54 PM.jpg (43.6 KB, 53 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #22
Fred K-OR

Being 6'2" also I have the same problem. What I do it try to get out of low gear ASAP so I can apply the brake when needed.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #23
Art Newland

Another 6 foot 2 guy here, It's spooky pulling out from a blind corner up-hill, since I can't get to the brake while in 1st, I keep my hand ready at the emergency!
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #24
Glenn C.

I sure would like the spacing dimensions of that tool that Y-Blockhead came up with, so that I might make myself one. The only problem that some people my have is, what about interference with the Hi-Low shifter on vehicles equipped with Mitchell Overdrives ? I too have had the knees replaced, but still have to do something.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #25
Art Newland

Could you section out a piece of the brake pedal to lower it?
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #26
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C. View Post
I sure would like the spacing dimensions of that tool that Y-Blockhead came up with, so that I might make myself one. The only problem that some people my have is, what about interference with the Hi-Low shifter on vehicles equipped with Mitchell Overdrives ? I too have had the knees replaced, but still have to do something.
Hi Glen. It is really nothing special. I made it from parts I had. I figured it would be better than just pulling the shifter to one side to bend it.

I used two 5/16" eyebolts that are spaced ~7" apart on the 2x4. The center bolt is a 5/8" stud I had laying around. Probably doesn't need to be that large Basically slide the shifter thru the eyebolts. I slide it down until it hit the floor board. Then tighten the large nut on the center stud. Works like a small press with no stress on the internal parts of the shifter/transmission. I bent it 1-2" to the right. Some may need to bend it a little further but it works fine where it is now for me. It does bend pretty easily.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 06-28-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #27
BILL WILLIAMSON

Leg room threads get about as long as motor oil threads!
Were folks shorter/smaller, way back then??? "Maybe" they didn't EAT good???---BUT, the men on both sides of my family were 6'4" to 6'8"--My Son, Gregg, (RIP) was 6' 6 1/2"--He changed light bulbs for EVERYONE !
Had a friend that was 6' 12"------
Bill W.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #28
racingrufus

I used a torch to heat lower section of shift leveraging. This is the 2nd A that I have done with no problems. Dwayne
racingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #29
John Schlegel

I got the problem fixed heated the shift leaver and moved it to the right
Thanks
John Schlegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #30
Dennisfly

I tried the 5/16 eye-bolt method and straightened the eyes out without bending the shifter!! Will a regular propane torch be hot enough or is acetylene required?
Old 08-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #31
woofa.express

Making additional cabin room.

Yes, I do like the practicality of chopping out a couple inches from my legs when I get my knees replaced.
But in the interim, in my ute, I have replaced the thick seat back with biscuit thin dense foam rubber and pushed the seat squab back to the rear as far as it would go. That's under the seat back. This allowed me to cut about 3 inches from the seat squab frame. I still need to be somewhat of a contortionist but never the less it’s much easier to enter and exit and the thin seat back provides me with more leg room.
On my tourer I cut off the rear row of springs from the seat squab, which I find too long anyway, and again about 3 inches from the seat frame. Likewise, easier. But I still need to replace the seat back with a thin piece of sponge rubber which will give me likewise about 3 extra inches of leg room. Fairly simple mods.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:48 PM   #32
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisfly View Post
I tried the 5/16 eye-bolt method and straightened the eyes out without bending the shifter!! Will a regular propane torch be hot enough or is acetylene required?
Haha, you must have an exceptionally strong shifter or some really weak 5/16" eye bolts. People have claimed to bend them by hand.

Now if you are trying to bend a Mitchell shifter, that is a different story. They are solid S/S.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-10-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:25 PM   #33
Licensed to kill

I'm 6'2" 250lbs and find the leg room quite adequate in my '31 fordor. My issue is getting my feet between the door post and seat getting in and out. What a royal PITA. Once I'm in I'm good. Of course it's VERY roomy compared to the truck in my avatar. SBC so the firewall is recessed 4" and being a truck there is no where for the seat to go back. THAT is short on legroom.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #34
ed thibodeau

On my tudor I went to a junk yard and got the drivers seat out of a late 90s Saturn
and with a little modifing IE making it narrower and some welding of brackets it fit
nicely with no modification to the original seat. It did raise the seat a couple of in.and
raised the passenger seat to match. You just reach down between your legs and pull
the handle up and you have about 6 in fore-aft motion. It works great.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote