Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2019, 06:19 PM   #21
WillC

Default Re: Locked up engine project

I will try, I need to know how to post photos on here. Can I post a video also? If someone would give me step by step instructions on posting photos Id really appreciate it. I am much better at turning wrenches than typing on a key board, Back in my day in high school if you took typing class then you were one of those funny guys that you were better off staying away from. If I had only known!!! But I was a good football player!!!
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #22
jquinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
I will try, I need to know how to post photos on here. Can I post a video also? If someone would give me step by step instructions on posting photos Id really appreciate it. I am much better at turning wrenches than typing on a key board, Back in my day in high school if you took typing class then you were one of those funny guys that you were better off staying away from. If I had only known!!! But I was a good football player!!!
Send me an email with the photos attached and I'll give you the url's to them. Then all you have to do is click that little photo icon and type in the URL - if you have questions while doing it, I'll get you going.
I like what you're doing for the guy. However, I have to disagree with you on the typing class statement. I was one of those guys and I loved that class. It was me, another guy and about 30 beautiful girls and boy did I have fun in that class with all them chicks. Never thought it would be such a handy class but it paid off in so many ways in my future.

Last edited by jquinlan; 04-24-2019 at 05:08 AM.
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #23
ryanheacox

I did the same thing a couple years ago for a family friend (actually the man my grandparents bought our A from). He had just turned 85, just had a hip replaced and a quadruple bypass AND was going through a divorce... he hadn't driven his car in a couple years and the head gasket leaked and rusted one of the cylinders. It freed up with a good shove on the hand crank, changed the oil and he was happy.

He drove it a few times including a 100 mile round trip to the club picnic. I believe he sold the car that fall, I'm very glad he got one more fun summer with it.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #24
WillC

Thanks to Rayn I think I can now post a photo so here it goes, This is what I used to push the pistons down with One note, I did this VERY slow, first one set of 2 pistons and then the other set of 2 pistons and this was after soaking them in Kroll oil for 2 weeks and bumping the pistons with a 1x4 and a hammer. Only moving them about 1/4 inch at a time and coating the cylinder walls with 3 in 1 oil each time.

Quick note, I didn't mean to offend anyone on my statement of (those guys). If I did I apologize. Its just the way it was back then. Times have changed and I need to start thinking about what comes out of my mouth other than my size 11 shoe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57449532_10213910455977796_2130624398124646400_n.jpg (42.3 KB, 85 views)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #25
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Thanks to Rayn I think I can now post a photo so here it goes, This is what I used to push the pistons down with One note, I did this VERY slow, first one set of 2 pistons and then the other set of 2 pistons and this was after soaking them in Kroll oil for 2 weeks and bumping the pistons with a 1x4 and a hammer. Only moving them about 1/4 inch at a time and coating the cylinder walls with 3 in 1 oil each time.

Quick note, I didn't mean to offend anyone on my statement of (those guys). If I did I apologize. Its just the way it was back then. Times have changed and I need to start thinking about what comes out of my mouth other than my size 11 shoe.

At least for me, no offence taken, no worries. I was one of "those" guys. Took a typing class the last year of high school in the early 70s. Was going to college, thought it would be useful to be able to type since my longhand was terrible. And it was useful, a lot of the professors preferred assignments to be typed.

I was oblivious in high school, looking back I now realize that there were few boys in the class
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:29 PM   #26
M2M

Quote:

I can help you put any video onto Youtube then you can put the link to it here.

A video of the old-boy seeing the car start up and going for a drive would be much better than photos.

Almost all cell phones these days can record decent HD video. Get friends or family over to record on their phones when the time comes.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

You were lucky that the head studs didn't pull the threads from the block. I'd have saved the risk by using a hammer on a wood block. I learned the hard way back in the 70's that if there is any chance the engine won't be run for 8 months or more, it's best to oil the cylinders.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #28
WillC

We are hoping that Tuesday will be the first start. Iv now found another small problem, No matter what position the key switch is in it seems to be sending power to the points, Should be an easy fix. If it works here are some photos of the project.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:11 PM   #29
Joe K

Quote:
Should be an easy fix

Concur with that. Here is the wiring diagram.

https://lesmodela.files.wordpress.co...ng-diagram.pdf

Joe K
Old 04-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #30
Mikeinnj

Question.....when you used the hydraulic jack, did you remove each of the con rod big ends from the crankshaft ? I had one stuck piston and localized it by removing all the big ends from the crank which allowed me to identify the stuck one and then tapped it out the bottom with a wood block and hammer after soaking it. I found that one of the rings had stuck to the cylinder near the bottom of the bore and caused a small indenttation (ridge) in the cilinder wall which I carefully smoothed out with a Dremmel tool and installed a new set of pistons and rings. I also cleaned out the oil pan after removing the windage tray and rebuilt the oil pump as well. Runs fine now years leter.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:45 AM   #31
WillC

Good morning Mike, First I had soaked all the cylinders in Kroll oil for about two weeks. Once a day I would hit each piston with a 2 x4 and a hammer. The owner was getting in a hurry so I went to the jack process. I applied the jack VERY slowly. Only moving each cylinder about an 1/8 inch each at first. When each cylinder hit bottom I gently ran a hone in the cylinder just enough to clean it any ridges. After that the pistons were free, it took all day to do it.. Now the vales were a different story. They were a beast to free. Number 2 intake is still sticking a little.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #32
30 Closed Cab PU

How did you free the valves?

I've not had to try it myself. I have seen info about with motor running at higher rpms squirt Marvel Mystery Oil in through the vacuum port/fitting on the intake. Creates a cloud of smoke. It lubes the valves/guides and burns off the deposits on the valves/valve guides/etc. Some people are insistent that this method really works. Long term they add MMO to the gas.

Again, a suggestion, have not do had to do this myself, maybe something for you to research and try.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #33
Mikeinnj

Quote:
Good morning Mike, First I had soaked all the cylinders in Kroll oil for about two weeks. Once a day I would hit each piston with a 2 x4 and a hammer. The owner was getting in a hurry so I went to the jack process. I applied the jack VERY slowly. Only moving each cylinder about an 1/8 inch each at first. When each cylinder hit bottom I gently ran a hone in the cylinder just enough to clean it any ridges. After that the pistons were free, it took all day to do it.. Now the vales were a different story. They were a beast to free. Number 2 intake is still sticking a little.
I think you are fortunate that you did not bend a connecting rod, or pull a head stud out of the block. Glad you got it free.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote