Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2017, 10:14 PM   #1
mrtexas

Default Evaporust for gas tank cleaning

I'm cleaning out my 28 gas tank again with Evaporust(Rust911 actually which is way cheaper). I tried to start her up a few days ago after letting it sit for 6 months and nothing came out of the gas line. The early 28 roadster pickup is a fresh total restoration about to be put up for sale. I had cleaned the tank out before with Evaporust but got a remote inspection camera and discovered the remaining rust on the roof of the tank. I mixed up 11 gallons of Rust911($60 makes 16 gallons) which is only about $41 instead of 11 x $30 for Evaporust. It works really good and fast. It will also probably still be good after I'm finished. I'll try to keep it filled to the tippy top and check with the inspection camera after a few days. The Rust911 is really a miracle worker for rusty stuff that can be soaked in it. I also revived the glove box hinge on my 36 and the liftgate hinge on my 41 woodie. Can't think of a better way to de-rust either one so easily especially installed on the car. It leaves no residue but dirty black water from the carbon in the rust. Another good think about Rust911 other than being so much cheaper than Evaporust is you can mix it up stronger and then it works faster. http://28fordarpickup.weebly.com/

Last edited by mrtexas; 05-04-2017 at 10:26 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
RawhideKid
BANNED

Default Re: Evaporust for gas tank cleaning

You do know you can put a radiator cap on that to shake it around to break loose that rust.
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
mrtexas

Thumbs up Re: Evaporust for gas tank cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawhideKid View Post
You do know you can put a radiator cap on that to shake it around to break loose that rust.
thanks
Old 05-05-2017, 05:31 AM   #4
Big hammer

I think your the first to spend the bucks and clean your tank this way!
Keep us updated, with Evaporust you can use it over and over until it quits working. Can you drain and reuse rust911 ?
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
I think your the first to spend the bucks and clean your tank this way!
Keep us updated, with Evaporust you can use it over and over until it quits working. Can you drain and reuse rust911 ?
Rust911 is generic Evaporust. Evaporust is $30 a gallon. Rust911 is $60 a gallon for concentrate that makes 16 gallons for $3.75 a gallon!
Old 05-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

MrTexas,

I looked on the www.rust911.com website and they also make a radiator cleaner. I'm ordering some of both directly from Rust911 unless I can find it locally. I'm going to try it on the radiator of my '30.

Thanks for the tip on Rust911.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
krzewinskibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
MrTexas,

I looked on the www.rust911.com website and they also make a radiator cleaner. I'm ordering some of both directly from Rust911 unless I can find it locally. I'm going to try it on the radiator of my '30.

Thanks for the tip on Rust911.

David Serrano
I used the evaporust radiator cleaner (thermocure) and it appeared to clean my radiator very well.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzewinskibe View Post
I used the evaporust radiator cleaner (thermocure) and it appeared to clean my radiator very well.
Thanks K, good to know someone has tried it.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
TinCup

I am a huge fan of Evaporust and don't know why it wouldn't work for the gas tank. Several of our local club have tried the new Thermocure product and have had equally good results with it. After each use I filter it with a paint filter and reuse it several times.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
Pinstripe

I have done several tanks with Rust911, and it works very nicely. I used a magnetic oil pan heater to keep the solution at about 140 deg. for at least a week with frequent agitation. The inside was spotless after being checked with ah endoscope.
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #11
jdupay

I actually did this with my gas tank four years ago. Our 29 Std Coupe had sat in my Mother-in-Laws garage for 20 years and it was rusted top to bottom. I did cycle it through three times letting it soak overnight each time. As I drained it I did make an attempt to strain the fluid through a cloth over the bucket. When completed the interior of my tank looked like a new tank. It worked great! I totally recommend this approach for tank cleaning. It may work even better if your tank is off your car and you can agitate it a bit. After I was done, the mixture was still not saturated and was able to be used to remove rust from other loose parts I had.
jdupay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #12
ursus

Agitation and a warm solution greatly enhance the results. I have used a closed container filled with Evaporust plus small rusted parts placed in the back of the pickup, with normal driving providing the agitation.

I have plans to use this solution in my gas tank sometime this summer. In my coupe I am thinking about using a temporary firewall mounted tank for the fuel supply while the 911 solution sloshes around in the cowl tank as I am driving around town. Any thoughts about this venture?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #13
mrtexas

I poked around with my endoscope this morning and discovered that filling up the tank still leaves air inside as there still was rust on the top of the tank. I took a radiator hose and cut it off so it would be higher than the top of the tank when attached to the filler neck. I then got some 1/4 inch hose and sucked as much of the air out as I could. I added around 1/2 gallon more of rust911. Other than the very top of the tank it is as clean as a whistle. Wish I had the endoscope when I had the tank out of the car!

Old 05-12-2017, 12:33 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstripe View Post
I have done several tanks with Rust911, and it works very nicely. I used a magnetic oil pan heater to keep the solution at about 140 deg. for at least a week with frequent agitation. The inside was spotless after being checked with ah endoscope.
The magnetic heater is an excellent idea.

Driving around with a remote tank to cause agitation is also an excellent idea.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:55 AM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
I poked around with my endoscope this morning and discovered that filling up the tank still leaves air inside as there still was rust on the top of the tank. I took a radiator hose and cut it off so it would be higher than the top of the tank when attached to the filler neck. I then got some 1/4 inch hose and sucked as much of the air out as I could. I added around 1/2 gallon more of rust911. Other than the very top of the tank it is as clean as a whistle. Wish I had the endoscope when I had the tank out of the car!

How about a bubbler, something you can put in the tank to splash up the stuff so it hits the top of the tank?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #16
fordcragar

After cleaning are you guys coating the tank with anything?
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #17
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcragar View Post
After cleaning are you guys coating the tank with anything?
Wondering this too...
Old 05-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #18
wrndln

I am new to using endoscopes to inspect things - however I have a couple colonoscopies, but I wasn't in control then! It seems like a good tool to have for inspecting hard to get to places. I see they are available for not much money on eBay. It appears the cheap endoscopes are connected to a USB port on a computer - most likely a laptop or hand held device - neither of which I current have. They seems simple enough to use. However, how do you inspect the inside of the gas tank through the relatively small gas filler hole. It seems difficult to manipulate the endoscope cable inside the tank. Would anyone that has used an endoscope device please explain how they are used.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #19
Farrell In Vancouver

Rusty the typical endoscope have a stiff inspection cable that you can bend to suit your needs, we have on in the shop with a four foot cable, screen, camera tip with its own light. Great for inspecting bores on even the smallest engines, gas tank tops, body cavities, oil galleries etc. The cable and tip are just under a 1/4" so it will go wherever it fits. A great tool for sure. I have even seen some that hook up to your smart phone and make use of the screen on the phone and take photos.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #20
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver View Post
Rusty the typical endoscope have a stiff inspection cable that you can bend to suit your needs, we have on in the shop with a four foot cable, screen, camera tip with its own light. Great for inspecting bores on even the smallest engines, gas tank tops, body cavities, oil galleries etc. The cable and tip are just under a 1/4" so it will go wherever it fits. A great tool for sure. I have even seen some that hook up to your smart phone and make use of the screen on the phone and take photos.
I just ordered one off amazon for $18, gets here friday and I will see how it goes. Semi rigid so it can flex it into shapes somewhat. Also has the benefit of a hook, mirror, or magnet attachment incase your trying to look and grab something.