Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #21
Model A Suz

Default Re: Stainless Radiator Shell Polishing Hints and Experiences Request

I tried to post something and it would not post so I will try again. Just want to say Hi to Pete Mendola. I hate to see Doug get out of the Model A hobby but it is time. He can now finish his cabriolet and he is having fun working on his Chevy. There have been times when some ppl, not many mind you, were not happy with his stainless. His policy was always ..if you are not happy, return and I will make good....he was always good on his word...enough said...He has met a lot of people in the hobby and has made a lot of friends. Pete Mendola and Ross Milne are now family members. Now if I can just get him to sell all this Model A stuff he has...barns full...and he complains about the space my hobbies take up..lol...life is good..so to all of you that are getting into the stainless restorations, good luck and have fun...We will talk to you later Pete....take care and God bless
Old 02-03-2015, 10:11 PM   #22
31Tudor

Smile Re: Stainless Radiator Shell Polishing Hints and Experiences Request

A couple of weeks ago I just received all of my stainless steel from Doug Bruce and it was beautiful!! I spoke with him before Thanksgiving and he agreed to do my job for me. He did my 31 shell, headlights, cowl band, tail light, restored all 4 bumper clamps. I did not send him crap but the job he did on everything made me smile ever time I opened one of the items, meticulously packed for shipment. He still "has it", because as I mentioned I could have not been more pleased with everything. I am so pleased that I was able to have done business with him, and he agreed to do my stainless for me, even though he is winding down on his restoration work. Thanks Doug!! Paul
Old 02-04-2015, 06:55 AM   #23
Alaska Mike

Busch Enterprises has all kinds of equipment, compounds and videos on how to buff almost anything, especially stainless. I have purchased their equipment and compounds, attended their seminars, and they really have it figured out.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #24
peters180a/170b

Mitch// p.a. Don't want to get in a pissing match but As i had a word with you [ private message / Fordbarn / and we discussed your Radiator shell that you were not happy with. Doug sold it outright to you [right] one that you did not send him [right] OK. Did Doug say to you he would not REFUND your money??? That you were stuck with the shell he sold you??? I would love to see the dents that was there ... People knowing how to work with stainless steel can go so far before you go thru the piece and then it garbage. Doug knows when to stop before the metal gets to thin. And sometimes it gets to thin you see those small cracks creeping up the sides or below the crank hole. I believe it was the Best one he had at the time ,AND i was going to make good myself$$$$ at what it cost you before you said you sent it out and someone fixed it for you. Find a super shell unrestored and see what you will pay for it... $200.00+ .so what i was told it was a small wave and if one studies the FORD SHELLS MOST have the waves in them [for JUDGING they should be there ].. As for the 1931 shells you will find dents made by the "spot" welding done on the bottom on both sides.... Doug leaves them in if to deep [not to weaken the spot welds] . well the hobby lost one hell of a restorer of stainless steel parts... NOT to many left to take apart door handles , hub caps and gas/radiator caps... glad i put away 3 cars worth ...just in case i live that long...l.o.l. 1 or 2 COMPLAINTS are not that bad after 40 years of work and countless parts SAVED. I would love to know how many HENRY FORD AWARD WINNERS have Doug's work on them..I can go back to 1988 with my Standard Roadster .

Last edited by peters180a/170b; 02-04-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: just venting...l.o.l.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #25
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
Mitch// p.a. Don't want to get in a pissing match but As i had a word with you [ private message / Fordbarn / and we discussed your Radiator shell that you were not happy with. Doug sold it outright to you [right] one that you did not send him [right] OK. Did Doug say to you he would not REFUND your money??? That you were stuck with the shell he sold you??? I would love to see the dents that was there ... People knowing how to work with stainless steel can go so far before you go thru the piece and then it garbage. Doug knows when to stop before the metal gets to thin. And sometimes it gets to thin you see those small cracks creeping up the sides or below the crank hole. I believe it was the Best one he had at the time ,AND i was going to make good myself$$$$ at what it cost you before you said you sent it out and someone fixed it for you. Find a super shell unrestored and see what you will pay for it... $200.00+ .so what i was told it was a small wave and if one studies the FORD SHELLS MOST have the waves in them [for JUDGING they should be there ].. As for the 1931 shells you will find dents made by the "spot" welding done on the bottom on both sides.... Doug leaves them in if to deep [not to weaken the spot welds] . well the hobby lost one hell of a restorer of stainless steel parts... NOT to many left to take apart door handles , hub caps and gas/radiator caps... glad i put away 3 cars worth ...just in case i live that long...l.o.l. 1 or 2 COMPLAINTS are not that bad after 40 years of work and countless parts SAVED. [COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"][COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]I would love to know how many HENRY FORD AWARD WINNERS have Doug's work on them[/COLOR][/COLOR]..I can go back to 1988 with my Standard Roadster .

he offered me a refund LESS shipping both ways which i would have taken my loss on if it were not for marty at precisionchrome.com who owed me some favors for work i did for him. feel free to call him and he can explain in detail about the butcher job part i received

i would have liked you to see the dings and steel wool buffing job also. you would have cried like i did, i couldnt believe what i was seeing.

i am sure most henry cars out there have his stainless on them as i was told he was the man to go to before his skills and probably eyesight declined. he is doing the right thing to wind down before to many dissapointments occur and is probably part of the reasoning for doing so. your only as good as the products you put out now...

my address is on my website so he can feel free to send me some compensation for what marty had to repair. i will then let everyone know that he stood by his defective product 100%.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-04-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Pete, the only reason why I am even getting involved in this is because I am the one that recommended Doug's craftsmanship to Mitch. Yes, it was a deal that went badly, ...and I question how much info you were truly privy to between Mitch and Doug at that time. I know I was involved somewhat because Mitch was asking me my opinion on what was happening.

At this moment, it really does no good for anyone to argue about past experiences of what Doug is, --or isn't capable of doing, ...or has accomplished. Even speaking for myself, while I have had a disappointment or two from Doug's work, the good he has done for me far outweighs the bad. Therefore lets just drop this and not let this discussion sidetrack or deteriorate the content of what Kevin is seeking. Please??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Old 02-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #27
Ryan
Administrator

Same names.
Closed Thread