Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2023, 01:36 PM   #61
rjlester

Default Re: New seal for PS ram.

Well, that kid moved out on her own so I don't see much of her anymore. However, you've given me an idea. I think I should put BOTH my daughters in that car, and they have to take turns driving. Question is, should I stay out of the car and just let the camera roll on them fighting/arguing/laughing/grinding gears? lolol

Good to know you've watched the videos. I am documenting some of the PS conversion on film so at some point I'll post that. It might be a while, I have over 2 years of footage of this car to edit now and just no time to edit yet. Maybe after Christmas sometime I can start.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 01:47 PM   #62
Merc Cruzer

Both daughters in the car, with you in the back seat. The camera set wide enough to get all of you in the shot. There just might be a "series" in it for you!

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-14-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 04:04 PM   #63
rjlester

I think I'll call it: Riding in cars with girls haha.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:25 PM   #64
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: New seal for PS ram.

You know, this has been a very interesting topic and thread. I enjoy the hell out of discussions like this. I actually learned something (how long I will retain it is another matter).

While 'CAROUSING WITH MY BROWSER' on 'GIGGLE' it seems the pulley press-fit is not as tight as later balancers. It's coming off easily is a matter of chance, lack of corrosion and any previous damage (BFH and HOT WRENCH).

The SPECIAL TOOL makes it easier for the TECH to work in the confines without removing the radiator.

I made a quick reconnoiter of my library and did not find the said tool catalog. I know I have one for that period. A further intense SEARCH AND DESTROY MISSION is scheduled (stand-by).

During any of this was the removal of the pulley spacer necessary? Did the front seal look OK?

Again, I appreciate what you guys have taught me ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 04:49 PM   #65
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: New seal for PS ram.

Just to add fuel to the fire, there is a similar discussion on 'ANOTHER FORUM'
regarding a 54 LINC.

Is this car pretty or what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95f971ec-4439-4ec2-aeb7-c9eb.jpg (37.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 8a8cc687-10be-418c-bb56-a41a.jpg (38.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg c0292321-ef92-41ee-bf1e-1763.jpg (45.7 KB, 5 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 12-14-2023, 04:56 PM   #66
Merc Cruzer

There was no need to remove the spacer. It was just a simple pulley replacement. As to the front seal, no leaks, so mine was fine.

You are the third person (to include me) that was able to remove the pulley with out issue. So maybe later flathead pulleys were not an issue, by design. If you are worried about it, a bit of loctite could be used on the bolt threads.

Nothing like have a donor car, with it installed, rather than relying on someone to provide all the parts from a car.

Any issuestheh the installation of the crush hex nut?
Old 12-14-2023, 05:07 PM   #67
rjlester

Glad to hear you've enjoyed this thread, I was worried it strayed too much. Been on other forums since before the internet even had pictures and have seen a lot of people treat others poorly over the slightest thing.

I didn't take out any spacers, in fact I purposely ignored the seal, other than it doesn't look wet in that area. Out of sight, out of mind as they say...

Looking forward to the results of the Search and Destroy mission haha.

Hands down, this is the best forum I've been on in 25+ years, and I've only been here maybe 2 years.

I assume WSM is something about a service manual? I finally opened mine last night to find a torque value for the crank pulley bolt, and I couldn't find it anywhere in that book. Had to Google it, or Giggle it as you say ;-)

Haven't installed the hex nut yet.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:09 PM   #68
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Just to add fuel to the fire, there is a similar discussion on 'ANOTHER FORUM'
regarding a 54 LINC.

Is this car pretty or what?
Yup, beautiful car. The PS on the Lincoln was totally different, they powered the steering box rather than using a slave cylinder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9999.jpg (43.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0001.jpg (37.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0002.jpg (54.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-14-2023, 05:13 PM   #69
Merc Cruzer

"I assume WSM is something about a service manual? I finally opened mine last night to find a torque value for the crank pulley bolt, and I couldn't find it anywhere in that book. Had to Google it, or Giggle it as you say ;-)"

Check entry #54 (second photo - 6th down on the list) of this post.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:24 PM   #70
rjlester

Thanks, don't know how I missed that.

The parts car I got did not have power brakes. My Skyliner has it, but it's in a box in the trunk as the previous owner took it off to paint the inside fender. It's NOT a treadle vac, thankfully. Might install it next summer to see how well it works if I get bored.

Interesting PS setup the Lincoln has, with the piston system built into the steering box.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:43 PM   #71
Merc Cruzer

Not a fan of the tredle vac. Mine will stop on a dime and give you 8 cents change. If anything it might be considered a bit too touchy. You can now stop the car with two toes, barefoot.

To say the least, when I got the car it hadn't been serviced, maybe ever! If anything it might be considered a bit too touchy now.

If you get one, make sure you get the vacuum tank that mounts on the frame rail, on the drivers side, next to the door.

An interesting video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKbnYmPj9a8

Installation on Ford and Mercury is very different, but basically the same unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4735.jpg (75.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4736.jpg (50.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4737.jpg (92.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4738.jpg (90.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4739.jpg (78.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4740.jpg (73.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4741.jpg (92.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4742.jpg (76.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4743.jpg (54.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4744.jpg (74.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4745.jpg (96.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0025 (4).jpg (85.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4225.jpg (90.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-14-2023 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:16 PM   #72
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: New seal for PS ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlester View Post

Glad to hear you've enjoyed this thread, I was worried it strayed too much. Been on other forums since before the internet even had pictures and have seen a lot of people treat others poorly over the slightest thing.
No, I learn a lot from threads such as yours, stuff missed when young. You post all you want. I am usually the one here that causes the stirs ...

Quote:
I assume WSM is something about a service manual? I finally opened mine last night to find a torque value for the crank pulley bolt, and I couldn't find it anywhere in that book. Had to Google it, or Giggle it as you say ;-)

Haven't installed the hex nut yet.
SORRY ABOUT THAT - I just a$$-u-me on some things ...

WSM - WORKSHOP MANUAL
MPC- MASTER PARTS CATALOG

HENRY came down the mountain with either under each arm you know ...

Look at POST #54 where MERC shows a page of his WSM - TORQUE SPECS.

It is given there - C/S PULLEY TO C/S

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-14-2023, 06:19 PM   #73
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: New seal for PS ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post

The PS on the Lincoln was totally different, they powered the steering box rather than using a slave cylinder.
SEE! There we go again. I did not know the LINC had an integral box.

Spent too much time in the MUSCLE CAR era ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 12-16-2023, 01:39 AM   #74
rjlester

I'm almost done with the install. Spent about 4 hours tonight under the car, removing the steering linkage, installing the "new" linkage. Filmed most of it, that took some time to setup.

Just have to install the pump and add fluid. Will do that tomorrow as it's pretty late here tonight and I'm tired.

The new hoses I had made were a bit of a bear to get on. The two short ones. One of them was just too long, but I was able to make a new shorter end to make it fit.

REMINDER TO MYSELF TOMORROW to remove that hose I made and CLEAN IT OUT. Forgot to do that and just remembered, there was some kind of material inside the pipe I added from my fuel line/brake line extras collection (new ones).

Also a REMINDER TO GREASE the control valve fitting, just remembered I missed that one.

Everything else went smooth. I'm impressed with the Rivet Nut tool. Looking forward to tomorrow! I sure hope those hoses don't leak.
Old 12-16-2023, 09:31 AM   #75
Merc Cruzer

Since they are new hoses, chances are they will be good.You best chance for a leak will be the control valve, even if it has just recently been rebuilt. I initially rebuilt mine with all NOS seals and to my chagrin, they were all too old and dried out. I did a prior post using a newer design seals:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...RhwPUGJ1GqEwv0

As to fluid, I use. I prefer one with some form of "stop leak" in it, to soften the seal throughout the system. It may take a bit of time to have it seal up again if it has been sitting for a while, not to mention it is colder now and the seals will shirk and become harder to to the lower temperature.

Looking forward to your additional updates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9990.jpg (27.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-16-2023, 10:46 AM   #76
rjlester

I remember now your post about those seals and as it turns out, one of the new seals I bought was loaded, the other one was not. Next time I will specify loaded seals for both.

As for the hoses being clean, when I changed the end on the shortest hose, there was actually a small piece of debris/metal in there that may have come loose if I didn't find it. The new pipe I put on the end had some kind of flaking layer of some kind that was coming off inside. Compressed air wouldn't loosen it and then I forgot to finish cleaning it when I installed it. Maybe it was some kind of corrosion preventative? I'll have a look at it anyway.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:51 AM   #77
Merc Cruzer

If I had to guess, I would say debris, from old fluid inside the ram/piston.

I take it that you order from Rockauto was delivered.

Just a reminder, leave the front end off the ground and turn the steering side to side, very gently, to clear the air out of the system. Avoid going to full lock to lock, as it will build up too much pressure initially.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 12-16-2023 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2023, 03:42 PM   #78
rjlester

Had some hose leaks, tightened connections and fixed those no problem.

But the control valve leaks like CRAZY turning left when you get almost to the end. Turning right, no leaks at all. It emptied the reservoir on a 1 mile drive.

Looks like I'm pulling that control valve out. I guess one of the new seals failed?
Old 12-16-2023, 05:39 PM   #79
KULTULZ

Quote:
... when I changed the end on the shortest hose, there was actually a small piece of debris/metal in there that may have come loose if I didn't find it.
Just a thought ...

When making PS repairs, you might want to consider performing a manual flush on the system (remove filter and replace with NEW FILTER after flush procedure) before closing it up to hopefully purge any residue/trash and any old fluid out, especially if the filter was not maintained.

(Also turn steering wheel slowly while flushing to purge cylinder - using starter motor to turn engine with IGN disabled). You add fresh fluid while cranking engine with output hose disconnected and directed at a catch pan.

The new fluid will have fresh detergents/dispersants in it and will break up any old deposits so keep an eye on the filter condition until it (fluid quality) stabilizes.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 12-21-2023 at 11:20 AM. Reason: ADD INFO
Old 12-16-2023, 07:00 PM   #80
rjlester

You might be onto something.

The pump I totally disassembled/cleaned/resealed. The control valve was totally disassembled/cleaned/resealed. The hoses were brand new, but I did find a metal chunk in the one I had to fix, it looked like a shaving from when they cut the pipe. So part of me says there may have been debris from those hoses. The stuff that appeared to be flaking off the inside of the pipe that I installed turned out to be a cobweb. No spider in sight. Pretty harmless and I removed it all anyway.

That leaves the ram cylinder. I did not flush it or take it apart as it requires cutting/welding to change all the seals. Maybe something in there came loose and is wreaking havoc.

That being said, I will be taking the control valve off in the next day or two and investigate the issue. First I want to clean up the garage, put all the tools away and clean off the workbench so I have a clean place to work on the valve.

On the test drive, the PS worked very well, did not seem to self center but I can get used to that. Needs an alignment as well, but I figured that would be the case. I might just get a couple new tie rod ends before I align it just to be safe.