Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
Jwawhite

Default Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

The lower Core Support holds the Front Motor Mount. The arrangement I think supports the front end sheet metal.

With an engine swap, mine to a 302 motor, what can I do to support the sheetmetal now? The front mount is no longer attached and the front end does move a bit.
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

On a baby bird the front body sheet-metal fastens to the big U shaped radiator support. Which is held up by welded on brackets resting on rubber pads on two small brackets welded to the frame.
Might something like this work for you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rad support Left c2.jpg (49.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg radiator opening c3.jpg (51.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg rad support Right c.jpg (40.4 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-18-2018 at 09:55 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Question Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post

The lower Core Support holds the Front Motor Mount. The arrangement I think supports the front end sheet metal.

With an engine swap, mine to a 302 motor, what can I do to support the sheet metal now?

The front mount is no longer attached and the front end does move a bit.

You have a 302/5.0L swap and the engine is supported how?

Please describe the installation, and...

Got your PM, but before we can go any further, I need to know what was done to the frame...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:46 AM   #4
JeffB2

Quote:

With an engine swap, mine to a 302 motor, what can I do to support the sheetmetal now? The front mount is no longer attached and the front end does move a bit.
Why would it have been removed in the first place ? I don't see any need for doing it. I have a 302& AOD in my '54 and probably 100+ guys in my HAMB Ford Group have done the swap, Pictures here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-mounts.41498/
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Below is an ILL of a 56 Sedan Frame-

5019 is No. 1 Cross-Member-

This member holds the front of the front clip assy up on a mount. You can shim that mount under the core support to level the front clip.

-EDIT - ADDITIONAL INFO-

This front Cross-Member is subject to corrosion damage and can be replaced as needed (still available).

No. 2 Cross-Member is a part of the frame assy, and carries the engine supports/mounts.

Is your engine swap the same or different somehow?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955-56 FORD Sedan Frame _3 - Crop.jpg (66.2 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg 1955-56 FORD Sedan Frame _4.jpg (70.3 KB, 18 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 02-19-2018 at 03:04 AM. Reason: ADD INFO-
Old 02-19-2018, 03:03 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Quote:

With an engine swap, mine to a 302 motor, what can I do to support the sheetmetal now?

The front mount is no longer attached and the front end does move a bit.

Wondering about your setup. Was the car purchased with the engine swap already performed?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 02-19-2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Jwawhite

Got The Flag out today.
The car has been put (down) away until Th. While repairing the steering ram grommets, I looked over the front end a bit. It appears to me the fenders, inner fenders and core support hang above the frame. When driving the car, it looks like the fenders are bobbing up and down a bit. I don't remember this from my last wagon 46 years ago.

K do you have a blow up concerning a Model 59C? Your illustrations are different from my car. The engine swap was done before purchasing car, looks like usual setup, mustang engine mounts? With a transmission mount setup. Do you know the process for leveling front clip? I will look over the front X member for any connection on Th and the the second X member is tubular. What is the process for leveling front clip? From what I've seen concerning previous work, I would not be surprised to find the bolt, shims or grommets missing on front X member.

Last edited by Jwawhite; 02-19-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Post Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

Quote:

Got The Flag out today.

The car has been put (down) away until Th. While repairing the steering ram grommets, I looked over the front end a bit. It appears to me the fenders, inner fenders and core support hang above the frame. When driving the car, it looks like the fenders are bobbing up and down a bit. I don't remember this from my last wagon 46 years ago.

K do you have a blow up concerning a Model 59C? Your illustrations are different from my car. The engine swap was done before purchasing car, looks like usual setup, mustang engine mounts? With a transmission mount setup. Do you know the process for leveling front clip? I will look over the front X member for any connection on Th and the the second X member is tubular. What is the process for leveling front clip? From what I've seen concerning previous work, I would not be surprised to find the bolt, shims or grommets missing on front X member.

At No. 1 X-Member. the core support rides on as the ILL shows. Make sure the mount/hardware is intact. You shim/shim pack that mounting to raise the front clip.

I need photos if possible of how the engine was installed (mounts on No. 2 - tubular) X-Member.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 02-21-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #9
Jwawhite

Thursday photos will be taken and I'll post them.

Isn't that something, the front clip of car rests on the center point of core support to the first X member.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

Quote:

Thursday photos will be taken and I'll post them.

Isn't that something, the front clip of car rests on the center point of core support to the first X member.
Well, that is the front support for the clip. It is stabilized by it's attachment to the cowl/hinge pillars.

Re-read my earlier posts. That No. 1 (5019) X-Member is subject to corrosion. Replacement are available.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 02-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
Jwawhite

What is this? Aftermarket? This brace may be supporting the front end sheet metal. I won't be able to mount this bracket on mine for there is an aftermarket tubular finned auto transmission cooler there. dmsffr mount system looks doable on mine (your work looks great btw dmsffr. Thinking of L brackets off frame side supports with-body mount pads- welded to core support...preliminary thoughts. I've ordered the 49-59 Illustrative Manual on CD and perhaps the above mount is in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (38.6 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Jwawhite; 02-21-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #12
CrownVic55

That is factory. Sets the height of the splash pan and front end sheet metal. Check the Hot Rod Reverends post on this site. Last page, close to bottom shows that bracket and what happens if it isn't there. His site has lots of very good info. He also sells a cd with service manuals on it. Check that out if you don't have them.
Ben
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #13
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

Quote:

What is this? Aftermarket? This brace may be supporting the front end sheet metal. I won't be able to mount this bracket on mine for there is an aftermarket tubular finned auto transmission cooler there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic55 View Post

That is factory. Sets the height of the splash pan and front end sheet metal.

Check the Hot Rod Reverends post on this site. Last page, close to bottom shows that bracket and what happens if it isn't there. His site has lots of very good info.

He also sells a cd with service manuals on it. Check that out if you don't have them.

Ben
The shown setup (your photo) is OEM as mentioned. The actual core support (16138) is supported by the front cross-member (5019) and that bracket shown (17899) supports the gravel shield, grille center support and hood latch.

If you look closely under the 16138 is an insulator. This supports the complete front end assy. There is a rubber insulator there (AD 8125-B). This has to be sound and where you would adjust the front assy for height/level if necessary.

The MPC PARTS ILL shown (Re: Typical) is showing the 57/57 support system. This may cause confusion.

Are you saying this bracket is missing on your wagon?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 02-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #14
Jwawhite

Yes, it's missing, apparently removed for Trans cooler, will have photos Friday. Explains front end bobbing....more corners than I can count were cut on this car.

I'm afraid to do a compression test.....

Last edited by Jwawhite; 02-21-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #15
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

Quote:

Yes, it's missing, apparently removed for Trans cooler, will have photos Friday. Explains front end bobbing....more corners than I can count we're cut on this car.

I'm afraid to do a compression test.....
Nothing like having an old car...

It would be difficult to say all it has been through.

Your 302, is it carbed or injected? Trans type?

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 02-21-2018, 11:36 PM   #16
Jwawhite

It's a 1994 302 fuel injected, AOD with tv cable. OBD1 with readable port.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
dmsfrr

Quote:
Yes, it's missing, apparently removed for Trans cooler, will have photos Friday. Explains front end bobbing....more corners than I can count were cut on this car.
It might be time to move the trans cooler a bit?
Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #18
Jwawhite

dmsfrr, yes, I was thinking about attaching the Trans Cooler to the underside of the Stone shield in front of the lower bracket (possibly) behind the front bumper. It appears the mechanic welded two tabs to the Radiator bracket and frame--- then proceeded to make a frame pad sandwich. Question is since the front sheet metal is somewhat attached to the frame, why the perceptible movement of fenders? Thank you K for the frame diagram, above, note the lower front bracket welded to the frame with an eyelet fore and aft. Was the rear eyelet the original connection of bracket that surrounds radiator? I see no other tabs on that piece to hold the core support assy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lower Radiator.jpg (93.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Lower Radiator1.jpg (94.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Lower Radiator2.jpg (67.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Lower Radiator3.jpg (136.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #19
dmsfrr

I'm not familiar enough with the front sheet-metal layout to have an idea.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:51 PM   #20
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Front Motor Mount 1956 Year with 302

Quote:

... note the lower front bracket welded to the frame with an eyelet fore and aft.

Was the rear eyelet the original connection of bracket that surrounds radiator? I see no other tabs on that piece to hold the core support assy.
Yes, the rear islet for the core support insulator and front eyelet for the center grille-hood latch support.

Whoever did this conversion was not detailed orientated. From what I can see the original frame brkt was cut out and the center brace(s) have no support.

Here is the bottom brkt which has been left out- https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-F...O/222748371144

Keep it under 120MPH!

- WHY IS IT ... -