Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2022, 01:48 PM   #41
rotorwrench

Default Re: BIG SHOCK on display engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Lawson, after all the work and frustration you have endured to build your display engine, spend the extra dough to get whatever plaque you desire as a tribute. The cost will soon be forgotten the very first time you see the entire display - just the way you planned - and it will endure for many, many years giving enjoyment to others. After our dad died my brother and I paid about $1000 to have a bronze plaque cast as part of a memorial to remember our dad. It was worth it. No regrets. Do what you feel is right. It's part of your contribution to your flathead legacy and footprint.
The 3rd Armored Division was a busy bunch in France and Belgium during WWII. Busting out of the hedge grows in Normandy was a big accomplishment where they welded cutters on the front of the tanks. They were then moving on through France where they moved to contain the Argentan-Falaise pocket of the German 7th Army. From there they went on to cross the Seine river and then on up into Belgium where they were involved into the capture of near 8000 German troops at Mons. They pushed to the Seigfried Line and lobbed the first artillery shells onto German soil. The battle of the Hurtgen Forest was next.

Most know of Pattons 3rd Army pushing up into the Battle of the Bulge but the 3rd Armored was pushing down that way just as hard. After the Bulge push and relief it was on to the Reine after crossing the Roer and the Erft rivers. The capture of Cologne saw the first use of the M26 Pershing heavy tanks. They then moved up to Paderborn to shut the door on the Ruhr Pocket. Moving across the Saale river near Halle and pushing on up to the Elbe they found the Dora-Mittlebau concentration camp near Nordhausen. Their last major fighting was at the battle of Dessau in late April 1945.

Being a tanker was one of the most dangerous jobs in the US Army during the war. The broken tanks could be fixed but a lot of lives were lost and there was no fixing that. I have had the privilege of knowing several tankers from WWII and I had a hard time getting them to talk about it. The job wasn't for the faint of heart. Their favorite Tanks were the M4A3E8 Sherman with the 76MM high velocity gun and the M26E Pershing with the 90MM gun. Both were powered by the big Ford GAA DOHC V8s.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-18-2022 at 02:17 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 04:25 PM   #42
Mart

^^ Not sure of the relevance of that to this thread but it was an interesting read.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:12 PM   #43
Model51

Lawson - Yes, we traded messages when you were collecting information for writing a 1935-1936 pickup book. The two cab corner trim pieces I got from you when I visited your garage about 18 months ago are photographed are included in my soon (next Spring) to be released book. I've attempted to illustrate or photograph most of the parts of the cab, doors, etc. While the focus, and most of the content, is on big trucks, there will be a fair amount of overlap with the truck and pickup cabs so it should provide useful information for those restoring a pickup.
Hope to see your engine and stand in June. I'll be at the ENM and plan a trip to Auburn. Plus, my book should be there for sale too by the EFV8 Club. I'll be happy to sign a personal copy for you.
Model51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:18 PM   #44
19Fordy

Mart, I think the relevance is that the Greatest Generation made what we are today possible, including Fordbarn. Let's not forget.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-18-2022 at 05:44 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 05:39 PM   #45
ford38v8

Mart, it goes back to the plaque that 19fordy had made to honor his father, and the 3rd Armored.
Old 12-18-2022, 06:11 PM   #46
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
^^ Not sure of the relevance of that to this thread but it was an interesting read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Mart, this thread had degenerated like most of them do. Started out about costs of what should be inexpensive plaques for an engine display stand then on to attorney's hourly rates, to personal attacks to sleep and conscience then donations and dead horses. Gimme a break.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 06:31 PM   #47
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Gimme a break.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 02:00 PM   #48
Cecil/WV

The Foundation may have a certain type or style of signage to coordinate with the total display format of the museum!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 03:00 PM   #49
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
The Foundation may have a certain type or style of signage to coordinate with the total display format of the museum!

I spoke with Kendall at the museum earlier this morning about this very thing. It seems that there are no hard and fast rules about signage or plaques relating to display items, as long they are tastefully done. Those were basically her words, or words that she was in agreement with. If this is in any way incorrect or contrary to your understanding Cecil, please let me know. You are or should be "In the know" about these things considering your position.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Old 12-19-2022, 03:00 PM   #50
johnboy34

Perhaps a place like this would be an option.
You design it yourself.
https://www.plaquemaker.com/stainles...=4&thickness=1

Last edited by johnboy34; 12-19-2022 at 03:11 PM.
johnboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:06 PM   #51
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
No way can I bear that much more expense. Gotta reduce the wording BIG TIME. 16¢ per letter, plus materials.
Lawson.... Contact these folks at the link BELOW. More than reasonable pricing for a multitude of different sizes.

Coop

https://www.plaquemaker.com/laser-me...nting=1&size=6

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 02:33 PM   #52
mfirth

Rotowrench's post seemed also to be connected to "The V8 Card From France" .... in any event, we should be VERY THANKFUL because we are here & able to celebrate Christmas & our "Barn Fords"........
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 04:04 PM   #53
Cecil/WV

Lawson, If you are good with Kendall, that should be fine!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 12:09 AM   #54
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
Lawson, If you are good with Kendall, that should be fine!
Cecil, I have no experience with Kindall other than speaking with her a few timed on the phone. She seems to be very familiar with what is required or acceptable as far as plaques or signage on display items at the museum are concerned, and is very pleasant to deal with.

You seem to cast a little doubt on her authority to bind the museum on anything. I'm not going down that garden path again. Inasmuch as you are somewhat numbered among "Those in charge" at the museum, give me some guidance here, or put me in touch with someone who is in charge of such things before I put any more time or money into this thing. I will only work with those I can be comfortable with and rely on to have the power to bind the museum with their decisions.

Lawson

Old 12-27-2022, 06:22 AM   #55
1942deluxe

Lawson, happy birthday!
1942deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 11:57 AM   #56
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942deluxe View Post
Lawson, happy birthday!
Thanks. I appreciate the well wishes. The Lord has truly blessed me with a long life, and in so many other ways.