Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2022, 07:55 PM   #21
dmsfrr

Default Re: crank gear oil slinger on a 292 Thunderbird engine.

I believe the front engine mounting bracket was originally Ford Red, painted along with the rest of the assembled engine. It may be listed somewhere in these linked pages...
https://www.ctci.org/wp-content/uplo...enticity-1.pdf

Attached Images
File Type: jpg timing marks copy.jpg (51.3 KB, 7 views)
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:48 AM   #22
KULTULZ

Question Re: crank gear oil slinger on a 292 Thunderbird engine.

Quote:
... my parts book dated November 1954 Form 7516 does not show this slinger in Thunderbird crankshaft exploded view.

When I look on Ebay they show the slinger with a B6A prefix most parts in my 1955 book prefix with B5A so maybe the B6 means this part was introduced in 1956. Couple of my Ford repair manuals do not mention the slinger like the 1955 Ford repair manual.
This still puzzles me (as do most things).

I have come across an MPC ILL that shows the slinger on a 55/ .

I think what happened (the 54 239 did not have a slinger) is that at some point in the 55 assembly year, engineering discovered it needed a slinger. That slinger does have a 1956 model year PN PREFIX (and again, this might be a super-seceding PN).

It may be that there was a SERVICE BULLETIN describing all of this. Without a full collection of service bulletins of the period, subjects such as this is all conjecture.

But regardless, it needs a slinger (IMO). If the engine had the early cam drive, all of it should be retained (IMO). When FORD re-designed the cam drive mid-1956 production, it also deleted the rocker arm drip shields which in turn changed the valve-train geometry and different length push-rods were used along with rockers. All of this has to be taken into consideration (again IMO) when modifying the valve-train.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:15 AM   #23
37 Coupe

Again I could not find the slinger listed in my 1955 Ford chassis parts catalog Form 7516 November 1954.This was succeeded by same Form # 7516 but was dated Sept 1955 and I don't have it but if someone does it would be interesting if it was now shown as a 1955 Ford part. My 292 engine in my January 1955 Thunderbird did not have a slinger but I was told they were a common part to missplace and leave out. I have placed one back on in anycase.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:14 PM   #24
KULTULZ

Question Re: crank gear oil slinger on a 292 Thunderbird engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post

Again I could not find the slinger listed in my 1955 Ford chassis parts catalog Form 7516 November 1954.This was succeeded by same Form # 7516 but was dated Sept 1955 and I don't have it but if someone does it would be interesting if it was now shown as a 1955 Ford part. My 292 engine in my January 1955 Thunderbird did not have a slinger but I was told they were a common part to missplace and leave out. I have placed one back on in anycase.
Did you read my post #22?
Old 09-12-2022, 05:25 PM   #25
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Yes my post was a reply to you.I understood everything you said except for what an MPC Ill is.
Old 09-12-2022, 05:26 PM   #26
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Yes my post was a reply to you.I understood everything you said except for what an MPC Ill is. Motor Parts illustration?
Old 09-12-2022, 06:49 PM   #27
KULTULZ

Red face Re: crank gear oil slinger on a 292 Thunderbird engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post

Yes my post was a reply to you.I understood everything you said except for what an MPC Ill is. Motor Parts illustration?

Another KULTULZ 'FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE' EPISODE.

MPC - MASTER PARTS CATALOG - (Contains CHASSIS and BODY CATALOG - TEXT AND ILLUSTRATIONS)

ILL - ILLUSTRATION (or diagram)

Your catalog is correct (early edition). I found two updated ILL's (SEP 1959 and APR 1964. I have only those two editions.

The 59 edition shows the ILL (P-1865 / 9-60) and describing text as 'TYPICAL CRANKSHAFT, FLYWHEEL AND RELATED PARTS'.

The 64 edition shows the same ILL (P-1865 / 1-64) and describing text reads '1955/ CRANKSHAFT ...

Now both text sections show the slinger with a 1956 PREFIX PN.

So you can see how cataloging can vary over the years. BTW, each year MPC was printed in calendar quarters and included any updating/corrections.

So the catalog you have is correct. It (slinger) must have been added sometime during 1955 production.