Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2020, 06:42 AM   #1
Gino

Default A Engines

Hi, so has anyone rebuilt an a engine with the inserts that replace the habit? I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'd really like to hear from those who have done this replacement of poured babbit. And was it really a success and I'd really like to know about failures too. Also I have a couple of worn out blocks I'd like to give away to someone who might save them as opposed to scrapping them. Thanks very much.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: A Engines

Gino, What is it about those blocks that says they are worn out? Short of disastrous physical damage, just about anything can be reconditioned. I've seen blocks with the camshaft bearings so worn you could almost put the crankshaft in there, yet they were bushed and the motors run as well as ever and will for a long time yet.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
Bob Bidonde

A non-salvageable block can be used to make cutaways for club seminars, or a base for a round table in a man cave.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Gino, What is it about those blocks that says they are worn out? Short of disastrous physical damage, just about anything can be reconditioned. I've seen blocks with the camshaft bearings so worn you could almost put the crankshaft in there, yet they were bushed and the motors run as well as ever and will for a long time yet.
I see A engine blocks at Flea Markets (that term might need interpretation) and farm auctions for $25 or less that are just in need of re-babbitting. They are termed "worn out" often time simply because the bearing are that. At least in this area there are a LOT of used engines that were used on farms as stationary power, and are no longer used. I did buy one a few years ago to keep as a spare myself, that one was re-babbitted, with new rings, valves ground and I paid $175. The "worn out" ones simply were replaced with not as worn out ones 30/40 years ago and the old engines were put in the shed. Nothing ever is thrown away by old farmers. I inherited 2 or 3 myself from my uncle when I bought the shed he owned. They were left sitting in the corner of the shed at his auction because no one would bid on them. I've looked them over, not carefully, and they look fine, except they're "worn out". They'll probably still be there when I'm dead and they have my auction!
Old 04-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #5
Jim Brierley

To me they are rebuild-able as long as the cracks are easily repairable.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
MikeK

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Here's camshaft bore bronze sleeve in one of my blocks.
The bores were egged out over 0.010".
Saved an otherwise good block.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
31Abone

I had a fellow in carson city rebuild my B engine with block inserts ,alum alloy i think.... turned crank, stock rebuilt rods..2000 miles on it.. runs good..
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #8
Gino

Hi, maybe I should explain a little, I’m moving to Camden South Caroline at the end of may.
When I get there I hope to find a reliable shop to rebuild the engine in my Model A Pickup.
I will also take one of the worn engines with me and I was thinking of installing inserts and what ever other after market parts in that engine if the result would leave me with a good running spare and I would have a lot fun doing it. I’m sure all the worn out engines could be rebuilt, but the funny thing is no one wants to lend $5000 to rebuild one.
Thanks again
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #9
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Hi, maybe I should explain a little, I’m moving to Camden South Caroline at the end of may.
When I get there I hope to find a reliable shop to rebuild the engine in my Model A Pickup.
I will also take one of the worn engines with me and I was thinking of installing inserts and what ever other after market parts in that engine if the result would leave me with a good running spare and I would have a lot fun doing it. I’m sure all the worn out engines could be rebuilt, but the funny thing is no one wants to lend $5000 to rebuild one.
Thanks again
There are several things most people do not think of when rebuilding an antique engine. Doing an insert mainline is a fairly easy job for an experienced shop. (There are many in the Carolina's)
The rebuild doesn't end there. The camline will need to be sleeved. The lifter bores will most likely need to be bored oversize and new lifters made.
Many times the cam thrust face will be worn and need sleeving.

One really good thing about inserts is, the cam to crank centerline can be maintained original which is many times ignored with babbit.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:30 PM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Thanks again
$5K! Yikes. I paid less than that in Australian dollars and by the time we consider the exchange rate, $A5K would be about $US3K. On our visits to the US over the years we have noticed things getting more and more expensive to the point where we now have to think carefully about doing it again.
What do they do to the engine for a $5K rebuild and would that be babbit or inserts?
Old 04-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #11
Alaska Mike

I just had a block rebuilt. 1) new bearings, 2) bigger intake valves, 3)high lift cam, 4) balanced crank, 5) high compression head, 6) lightened flywheel, 7) V8 clutch, $5225. I did an exchange to save some time. About another $220 to ship the new one to me, and ship mine back. They stamped the block with my original number. I haven't got it in the car yet. I also decided to put a 4 speed synchro transmission behind it. I hope it is a nice car to tour with.
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #12
chrs1961815

I too have thought machine shops and rebuilding shops have gotten overpriced here: I get it good work costs money but.... that's why I am doing most of the engine work.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #13
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
I too have thought machine shops and rebuilding shops have gotten overpriced here: I get it good work costs money but.... that's why I am doing most of the engine work.
When I said we had noticed things becoming more expensive, I wasn't just talking about engine work. Everything has gone up in price but so long as we pay attention to our personal security, it is still a nice place to visit. There have been several times when American friends have been horrified when we walked he few hundred metres at dusk to say, a diner for dinner - something we wouldn't think twice abouthere. It's all part of the experience, IMO
Old 04-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #14
Aarongriffey

I wonder why it is that I see so many model fords with pinto engines in them.??
Actually I think the reason the rebuilds are getting so expensive is because they can get it.
I did complete rebuilds on two A engines and a partial (no Babbitt) on a Russian B and I made out ok without charging that kind of money.
I’m sure a lot of shops charge for know who to get the Babbitt done by, who to turn an A crank, and they b s the cusomer into believing nobody else knows how to do certain things on an A. Like finagle the fernortner rods n wipe the cylinders the correct way with none detergent monkey swet.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #15
Chris in WNC

Gino- if you move to SC you will be reasonably close to James Rogers in Asheville NC- very good rebuilder- he's on this board......
Old 04-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #16
eagle

Turlock sells a complete engine w/inserts for $4800.