Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Pete

Default T5 to early Ford rear end.

For those that have fabrication facilities, here is a couple pics of a conversion we have done several of.
This gets an UNMODIFIED T5 or Richmond 5 speed to an early Ford rear end. The U joint parts are available from any Spicer dealer.
The fabricated cross member takes the full driving thrust like the original design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Race car U joint1.JPG (69.8 KB, 507 views)
File Type: jpg Rcae car U-joint3.jpg (27.8 KB, 546 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: T5 to early Ford rear end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
For those that have fabrication facilities, here is a couple pics of a conversion we have done several of.
This gets an UNMODIFIED T5 or Richmond 5 speed to an early Ford rear end. The U joint parts are available from any Spicer dealer.
The fabricated cross member takes the full driving thrust like the original design.
Pete, That is really a great idea. So all you had to do was modify the original front wishbone to fit the clamshell. Is there anyway that you could either post
photos of the drawings for the parts or put them on a website where we could see them . Thanks, JIM in FL
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
19Fordy

Quote:
Also I am confused. What are all the threaded (bolts?) and where does the threaded arm that is attached to the wishbone go to? Could you post more photos showing the entire assembly. What car is it in. Thanks, JIM
Old 05-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Also I am confused. What are all the threaded (bolts?) and where does the threaded arm that is attached to the wishbone go to? Could you post more photos showing the entire assembly. What car is it in. Thanks, JIM
Those are the only pics I have. They are of the installation in my race car.
The other 2 cars I did were street hot rods with T5's. Same basic procedure.
The threaded rods are the shift rods going to the Richmond in this case.
The arm attached to the cross member is the anchor for the clutch cylinder.
If I ever do another installation I will record the Spicer parts numbers.
Basically you get a catalog and find a yoke with a 6 spline to fit the Ford driveshaft and a yoke that matches the output spline of the transmission and put them together with a common cross.
The whole cross member was fabricated. No original parts. There is just a flat plate that the clam bolts to.
The driveline and torque tube will have to be shortened depending on what car it is in.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Gary in Mozarks

I cleaned up the photo a little
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T-5.jpg (76.3 KB, 403 views)
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Basically you get a catalog and find a yoke with a 6 spline to fit the Ford driveshaft and a yoke that matches the output spline of the transmission and put them together with a common cross.
The whole cross member was fabricated. No original parts. There is just a flat plate that the clam bolts to.
The driveline and torque tube will have to be shortened depending on what car it is in.
This is pretty dam cool - we've all thought "5-speed = no torque tube" - nice work adn I'm looking forward to the part numbers for a future build I have in mind .... thanks!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Mozarks View Post
I cleaned up the photo a little

Gary, GREAT. Your job, ( should you decide to accept) is to provide detail photos of exactly how that's done for a HAMB tech article. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Chris Marshall

Quote:

Pete,

This looks like a simple and effect setup. A couple more questions -

Did you use a grease seal in the plate that the clamshell bolts to so differential grease traveling up the torque tube doesn't leak and dirt doesn't get in?

Did you fix either of the yokes (T5 or driveshaft) or does the whole assembly float between the T5 output shaft and Ford driveshaft?

Thanks for sharing this.
Chris Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
fordcragar

Hey Pete,

Great idea, I'm looking forward to more details. Thanks!!
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Marshall View Post
Pete,

This looks like a simple and effect setup. A couple more questions -

Did you use a grease seal in the plate that the clamshell bolts to so differential grease traveling up the torque tube doesn't leak and dirt doesn't get in?

No, that area is open to the world. Big hole in the plate to clear the U joint. The pinion bearings are sealed so no oil comes forward.

Did you fix either of the yokes (T5 or driveshaft) or does the whole assembly float between the T5 output shaft and Ford driveshaft?

It floats.

Thanks for sharing this.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #11
George G

I like it great idea. I dumped the torque tube and went to a open drive line. I soon found we needed a torque arm to prevent axle wrap.
George G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
82ndscotty

i am also running a open driveline. used the tubes from a 40 welded to the a rear brackets and a third from a bracket attached to two top bolts on the diff. and up to another bracket at the rear of the tranny. have worked it pretty hard with no problems. be sure to vent the diff. scotty
82ndscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
40 Deluxe

Since the U-joint pivot point and the clamshell pivot point no longer match, what do you do about the misalignment that occurs as the rear suspension goes through its travel? Just let things bind, or....? Looks like it would be hard on the trans bushing or driveshaft bearing, or both.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:43 AM   #14
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Since the U-joint pivot point and the clamshell pivot point no longer match, what do you do about the misalignment that occurs as the rear suspension goes through its travel? Just let things bind, or....? Looks like it would be hard on the trans bushing or driveshaft bearing, or both.
The yokes on both ends are free to float back and forth.
No binding.
On the T5's we put 2 bushings in the tailshaft housing to give the slip yoke more bearing area. Not necessary, just cheap insurance.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #15
PeteVS

With a seal back at the pinion, how's the front driveshaft bearing lubed?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #16
av8paul

[QUOTE=George G;9164]I like it great idea. I dumped the torque tube and went to a open drive line. I soon found we needed a torque arm to prevent axle wrap.[/QUOte

George,
I built a torque arm, but didn't like the way it came out, So I added to the split radius rods and created a mini ladder bar. Hopefully, it'll take care of the lack of a torque tube. The gear has no function, other than to add some stiffnerss to the assembly. It's a worn out gear from a Ford trans. Just some recycling out of my trash pile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladder bar 002.jpg (78.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg ladder bar 008.jpg (93.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg ladder bar 001.jpg (83.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg hot rod roll out Spring 2010 006.jpg (102.2 KB, 111 views)
Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #17
JWL
Member Emeritus

I think 40 Deluxe came close to asking the same question I have---The stock Ford u-joint is of a floating cross design to allow the driveshaft to misalign without binding. Binding would occur even when the proper pivot locations are maintained if there is spring travel. The front to rear "float" will not resolve this problem because the fixed shaft locations can become higher or lower in relation to each other. In a race car, with very minimal rear end vertical movement, it might not be a serious situation? But in a street car, with normal rearend vertical movement, it seems like something has to bend, bind, or break if the u-joint does not self-center.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
I think 40 Deluxe came close to asking the same question I have---The stock Ford u-joint is of a floating cross design to allow the driveshaft to misalign without binding. Binding would occur even when the proper pivot locations are maintained if there is spring travel. The front to rear "float" will not resolve this problem because the fixed shaft locations can become higher or lower in relation to each other. In a race car, with very minimal rear end vertical movement, it might not be a serious situation? But in a street car, with normal rearend vertical movement, it seems like something has to bend, bind, or break if the u-joint does not self-center.
I agree. It would be better if a very short driveshaft was used to accomidate any radial misalignment. The trans and the rear can not always be in perfect allignment due to flexing of the mounts. I really like the overall design.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
Hi John...I hear what you guys are saying and I thought about it for awhile before proceeding on the first build.The distance between the torque tube pivot and the U-joint center is only about 2 inches.
The race car only has about 3 inches of spring travel so the angular deflection at the pivot points is so small that it can be ignored.
Also, the roller torque tube bearing is not a super precision fit so there is some slop there.
On the T5 street installations, The same overall effect happens because the torque tube is about 4 feet long and the spring travel is about 6 inches. Hence the angular deflection is about the same.
The race car has 11 seasons on it with the same U joint and transmission rear bushings. No visable wear.
Who knows how many miles on the hot rods with the T5's. I know the guys fairly well and I'm sure they would let me know if something was wearing out.
It's one of those deals where the engineering is not dead on but it works.
BTW, the race car is for sale and I might consider delivering it.

PeteVS: The torque tube bearing is lubed by packing. The spacer washer in front of it keeps dirt out. No problems with that in 11 years and we race on dirt about half the time.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #20
X38

Here's another one:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...he+torque+tube
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote