Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
raceron1120

Default Yet another "what's it worth" '37 (?) engine

I posted this on the FRENDS site but I know some may not go there who might want to read:
--------------------------------------------
As said earlier, I'm not much into flatheads but tend more to the Yblock stuff. I was at our local spring swapmeet this morning though and an older fella had a van and flat trailer & several tables of oldies & some goodies, lots and lots of Ford stuff, in fact it was ALL Ford stuff. I picked up a couple of garage wall art pieces and couldn't help but notice an engine he had sitting in the trailer. Got to talking to him about it, he said he ran it but that was 60 or so years ago, that it ran good but smoked. '37, 21 stud 85 HP V8 is what he said it was.

Had one of his grandsons pull the heads to make sure it wasn't cracked - he said if it was, it was going in the junk heap. It wasn't. He said with a bit of coaxing, it would likely roll over. It looked complete, included the clutch & pressure plate. It didn't follow me home, as I don't have anything for it to go into - including no more room in my barn!

I think he said $450 or close offer - does that sound about right?:

raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
bobH

Default Re: Yet another "what's it worth" '37 (?) engine

Nothing more than opinion here... I recently sold a 37 engine, one that I have run many miles, no bad habits, didn't smoke or drink (overheat), good compression, and no signs of cracks, although I didn't have heads off to check. I used a craigslist ad, at 800, got several inquiries, and the buyer acted very happy to get it (at a slightly lower negotiated price.) (The buyer is listed in the V8 roster, so I assume he is a knowledgable V8 enthusiast.) My opinion... I think he's a little high (for an admitted smoker), but close enough I would at least make an offer. In my view, when a seller makes a threat, "going to the junk heap", it's no more than a threat. Wouldn't a rational person take 100 to 200, and have you haul it away, before he would scrap it? As said, just IMO.
(I'm a sucker for 37 engines, so I'm obviously biased.)
(Comment on "no cracks"... Is that a visual - in usual areas, or, is that an actual test? I've found that my 'visual' is not very reliable, and I now have a portable mag test that I carry around - much more reliable than my 'visual'. Again, JMO.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote