Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
raceron1120

Default Morning at a Swap Meet & chat with an elderly gent

Went over to a local swap meet this morning not needing much but I like looking. Not many vendors but worth the $3 to get in. One vendor was an older gent, probably mid 80s, with a few tables of all old Ford stuff - my weakness - and some NOS still in boxes. He had an air cleaner that I need for my '47 Fordor for $3 (SOLD!), and a few other odds & ends including this box with 5 sets of points in it:

also very reasonable, I don't know for sure what they fit - guessing by part # on the box they're '34/'35?
During the transaction he was saying 'My dad ran the Ford garage in town back in the 30s, 40s & 50s, I started working there in '46...Dad passed away 25 or 30 years ago...I'm selling some of his old stuff...' Really? "Yes, he also raced a '39 coupe...I have some old race parts too.... He raced at the Michigan Fairgrounds and I remember him talking about the Flock brothers...." Now he's got my attention. He continued "...I have one of his old flatheads in the barn, I want to get rid of, it was a pretty hot engine...it's got a Merc crankshaft...." At that point I kind got lost in it all and asked when can I stop by and check out his barn? I'm hoping to make it over there Sunday afternoon, he said I'd get a guided tour...I have very little knowledge of flathead engines, parts, etc. but I'm thinking just the discussion from this great guy will be well worth the price of admission, and I might just end up with a "hot runnin' flathead" for my '47 along with a few other goodies. Good thing the Richmond race is running late tonight, I might not sleep anyway!
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: Morning at a Swap Meet & chat with an elderly gent

Those were good quality points,have a few sets myself.Fit 32-early 36 dist. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #3
raceron1120

Thanks Ken. I'd never seen that brand before but I'm not as familiar with the flatheads & parts as I'd like to be. Hoping that will change. The fella that I got them from said he has many more boxes of similar items; I hope to get over to his place soon to check it out.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #4
Mac VP

If it's all Niehoff stuff, we have that catalog with the part numbers.....assuming you end up with more parts.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote