Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #1
cas3

Default 2 brush generators with a fan

this question came up at the hamb, and i thought i was sharp enough to answer, but it only brings up more questions. so, to my understanding, only the 3 brush units from 32-36 have the double row tapered bearings, like a front wheel bearing for example, to control the fore and aft load from the fan. in 37 the shaft got bigger, and we know ford used the fan mount genny to 38/39 in cars, and even later in some truck applications. looking in the green book, it shows the same bearing number from 32 to forever. but that cant be right, as, again the shaft size gets bigger in 37. in an old post from Bruce Lancaster, he says you can get dizzy looking at the generator section in the green book. i can relate. so, the point is, the 37 and up use a ball bearing, yet some still have a fan, so the single ball bearing of a later 2 brush unit will take the load from a fan?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:10 AM   #2
koates

Default Re: 2 brush generators with a fan

The front bearing on all Ford V8 generators is part number 10094, but they are not all the same type of bearing. The difference is in the prefix of the part number which could be B or 18 or 79 or some other depending on model or year. 18-10094 is the double tapered roller bearing which was used from 1932 to 1938-39. Later bearings are single row ball bearings and some generators used two of these and some only one single bearing but all numbered 10094 but with different prefix. Some people say that the single ball bearing is OK with the metal fan mounted on the pulley and it has lasted a long time. But why was the original fan mounted pulley on early V8s fitted with a double tapered roller set up do you think ? End thrust by the fan pulling on the generator armature is the reason for the tapered roller bearings. The normal ball bearing was not designed to handle this thrust even though they can work. So people ask for advice on this question and then when you (me) gives this advice they then just do the opposite and wont use the double tapered bearings because they now cost too much. Tread your own path. Regards, Kevin.
koates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
cas3

thank you kevin, pretty much what i thought except the explanation of the prefix on the bearing number. in the green book it only shows the number itself. so when the shaft size got bigger, the tapered bearings got bigger too instead of going to the ball bearing. i have several 2 brush generators with a fan pulley on them and its hard to believe they are all 39 std. i was hoping to know without taking them apart.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
blucar

The fan on my '36, 59AB engine with Offie Super dual carb manifold, is a cut down '39 two brush generator. I add a little engine oil (20-50 Castrol GTX) to the oil hole on the top of the housing when I change the oil.
The fan assembly has been in operation since 1954 with no troubles.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If you check the table (pg 464 in my book), 18 10094 requires 2 front bearings. With 68 10094 it is only one. It is the same with every bearing after 18 10094, only one front bearing.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
cas3

should be able to tell by the part number of the front cover if it uses 1 bearing or 2, no?
Old 10-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
cas3

and, i have 2 gennys here that i took the pulley off that have two different shaft size, so how can it be the same bearing???
Old 10-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
and, i have 2 gennys here that i took the pulley off that have two different shaft size, so how can it be the same bearing???
Not sure why you are thinking they are the same bearing from year to year. The chart list 8 different bearings by my count.

Ok, maybe it is the way I worded my post in #5. The early generators required 2 front bearing per unit. The later generators require only one bearing per unit, but there are different versions of this one bearing.

Last edited by JSeery; 10-02-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #9
cas3

yes, i was mistaken. same number, different prefix. puzzling that the #18 bearing with two required only goes up to assembly # 67 10000A, (36) , then, one year only #68 bearing says "double row" , and after that only single bearings, yet we know the fan was in use to 39. on page 456 the 2 brush shown has assembly # 81A 10000 D, showing up as 39 car and truck, yet the bearing chart on page 464 does not have any 81A bearing
Old 10-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

My problem is I know very little about the changes year to year other than reading the parts list. And has already been pointed out, the table, charts and illustrations on the generator is somewhat mind boggling!