Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
rocket1

Default Christmas story junked cars

I was watching the xmas story again and again! looks like model a's used as props,can anyone identify them? what is the car in the barn?
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
Bulligen

Default Re: Christmas story junked cars

It looks like a 29 coupe with the top cut off, a 30 tudor sedan and another 30 closed car of unknown body type
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulligen View Post
It looks like a 29 coupe with the top cut off, a 30 tudor sedan and another 30 closed car of unknown body type

Instead of a '29 Coupe, the body looks like a '29 Cabriolet to me. Take note of the door glass. Also note the radiator shell for the Model-A in the garage is Chrome plated. Since this was a movie depicting the 1940s (taken from In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash book), that chrome shell can only mean there is a red Model-A Town Car inside the garage!!

I guess since we know the movie was filmed in the early 1980s, instead of a Town Car, it is likely a newer restoration with a Vintique repro radiator shell. <sigh>

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
Terry, NJ

I , too admired those cars in the movie! The movie is very true to the way things were except where mama encourages "Randy" to eat like a little piggy. That never happened! It seems impossible today, but the pretty much standard way of disposing of an old wreck of of a car was to put in a lot somewhere and forget about it. if you had a farm, you dug a hole and buried it. My cousin solved an erosion problem halfway down a hill with a worn out model T. The place where I grew up in West Orange' NJ had a small quarry on it with junked mod A fenders another owner had thrown in there.
Gene Shepard was a great story teller! In the 60s, We used to listen to him on WOR at night out of New York. I recall the one about the "Ribbon Room" of the rolling mill. Something fouled up the gear of the winding mechanism but the steel kept coming and rolling big folds of sheet steel relentlessly. Great Stuff! He could make a funeral funny. He was also a pilot and owned an Ercoupe. He is missed!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Instead of a '29 Coupe, the body looks like a '29 Cabriolet to me. Take note of the door glass. Also note the radiator shell for the Model-A in the garage is Chrome plated. Since this was a movie depicting the 1940s (taken from In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash book), that chrome shell can only mean there is a red Model-A Town Car inside the garage!!

I guess since we know the movie was filmed in the early 1980s, instead of a Town Car, it is likely a newer restoration with a Vintique repro radiator shell. <sigh>
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote