Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
Henry Hopper

Default 36 and earlier tail lights

Here is a tip for making your early tail lights brighter.I recently bought my 36 and as usual the til lights were pretty dim.In the past I've tried fitting stainless steel ,tin foil,and painting the housings white ,all with little or next to no improvement.

This time I took the reflector out of a battery torch that was in the garage and opened up the hole in the centre and fitted it over the bulb...it worked a treat.I found another torch at an Autojumble and did the other light.The difference is amazing and now hey are as good as many modern car lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (28.3 KB, 7 views)
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
Terranova

Default Re: 36 and earlier tail lights

Henry, Pardon my asking, but is an "autojumble" a garage sale or a swap meet?��
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Henry Hopper

Autojumble is kind of an open market for car and motorbike stuff...I suppose it is a Swapmeet in all but name.Lots of old blokes with white beards and wearing combat jackets buying and selling old tat haha.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #4
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hopper View Post
Here is a tip for making your early tail lights brighter.I recently bought my 36 and as usual the til lights were pretty dim.In the past I've tried fitting stainless steel ,tin foil,and painting the housings white ,all with little or next to no improvement.

This time I took the reflector out of a battery torch that was in the garage and opened up the hole in the centre and fitted it over the bulb...it worked a treat.I found another torch at an Autojumble and did the other light.The difference is amazing and now hey are as good as many modern car lights.
That's very innovative. I created something similar to go into accessory backup lights to turn them into signals. Using an orange 6v bulb I "oranged" the background to give a better spread of light by cutting a circle out of a clear orange plastic kitchen cleaner bottle, slit it to the centre and made a "cooley hat" out of it, cut the centre out and placed it behind the bulb.

I like your idea. could probably do the same on the oval shaped 46-48s by cutting them to shape to fit inside. Thanks for the tip

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote