Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2017, 02:28 AM   #1
Questus

Default Questions historie A Modell

Hi Folks, nice to meet you,

Im glad to be at your forum and the Knowledge in that, this is the northern part of old Germany, I`m living near the Baltic (small ocean in the eastern part)

Im 66 years old and a Greenhorn using my early A Modell - first time on the road 30-06-1928, I bought the car in netherlands 2 weeks ago.

the engine and Chassis Number CA 18729 - Henrys Books-Basics told me produced in first 10 days of febr. 1928.

My questions: What means CA.... California or Canada produced? by Ford or subcompanys ??

Do you have any tip that I must Change (if it is better to do that) technicals accordance to the later models... if it`s necessary ?

please be so Kind not to laugh about my english expression....

best regards Questus

(Questus is Latein and means: lamenting Person about his old cars (2))
Questus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:38 AM   #2
Bick in New Zealand

Default Re: Questions historie A Modell

Welcome to the Barn Questus, CA 18729 was produced in Canada in May 1928, which fits fine with the 30-06-28 time frame.

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:39 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Welcome!!!

CA is the Canadian preface to the engine number.

engine numbers 13773 to 22563 were made between June 1 to June 30 according to the Restoration Guidelines. and here from the Canadian Historical Archives.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABenginenumbers.htm

Personally, I would change nothing. Restoration back to original specifications will give you a good running and driving car.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questus View Post
Hi Folks, nice to meet you,

Im glad to be at your forum and the Knowledge in that, this is the northern part of old Germany, I`m living near the Baltic (small ocean in the eastern part)

Im 66 years old and a Greenhorn using my early A Modell - first time on the road 30-06-1928, I bought the car in netherlands 2 weeks ago.

the engine and Chassis Number CA 18729 - Henrys Books-Basics told me produced in first 10 days of febr. 1928.

My questions: What means CA.... California or Canada produced? by Ford or subcompanys ??

Do you have any tip that I must Change (if it is better to do that) technicals accordance to the later models... if it`s necessary ?

please be so Kind not to laugh about my english expression....

best regards Questus

(Questus is Latein and means: lamenting Person about his old cars (2))
Questus,

Welcome to Fordbarn...

Can you please tell us just why you want to change your car to the "later models"?

Like Mike said, there is no real need to do so as if restored correctly, the earlymodles are just as good as the later models!

Yes we know it is your car and you can do whatever you wish so enjoy the hobby and get the MARC/MAFCA Reswtoration Guidelines and Judging Standards for starters!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Welcome to the Barn, Questus. Your english and punctuation is better than some folks on here.

We need PICTURES!!
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
Questus

Smile Re: Questions historie A Modell

whouw ...... many thanks to all of you !!

Pics enclosed

@Pluck dont worry about, I want to refit by the original way, if there no reason to Change anything... I will not do that !

in germany there is no dealer for A - parts !! at first time, I got yesterday some books by amageddon to read something about my way to refit

thanks a lot to all of you answered my questions !

best regards Questus (see you later on...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (92.3 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (73.4 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (70.6 KB, 187 views)
Old 05-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Chuck Dempsey

Welcome, and BEAUTIFUL CAR! Love the red fan and oil filler cap. Can you explain the medallions on the bumper? Car clubs?

Thanks
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
sphanna

I do not think Questus necessarily wants to change his car. He was just asking for the wisdom of many experienced FBers. Wants to know if there are mods that wisdom would dictate to make his car safer or more reliable or easier to get parts, etc.

I admire your English effort. You do very well. You will receive much good advice as situations come up with your car. But you do have to acquire discernment as the quality of advice varies widely here. mostly a very valuable resource. Best place to learn that I know of.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I don't blame you for wanting to make it more original.
Someone had unusual taste as far as adding color to the car parts.

Your lower coolant steel pipe should be changed to the correct style for 1928. The correct one has the bend closer to the radiator, so it better lines up to the radiator outlet.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
Questus

Hi Chuck, These plates are from the first owner in Netherlands since 1998 -year of Import in the EU (Export from Canada!)- and there from the oldcare Clubs.
regards Questus
Old 05-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #11
Questus

Hi Tom, that is rubbish I think so too - the 4 mechanical clamps on the rubber produced after 1980 ! I dont like that Things - specifically

Questus
Old 05-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #12
Gunmetal blue2

Welcome say in touch you have a beautiful car. Can't wait to get my truck restored so I can have fun. I got my first A when I was 15 years old. I have owned 5 model A's and now own my 1929 AA closed cab pickup. I am 61 years old, Model A brother enjoy there a lot of fun.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #13
Terry, NJ

Welcome to the barn! It is a beautiful car! Do you know you have a "Heater Manifold"? These were not stock, but sold as an after market item. The problem is that you don't have the "Air box" that goes with it. Call the previous owner and see if he forgot to give it to you with the car, In northern Germany, it would be a good thing to have in winter. Good luck with it!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #14
DougVieyra

Herzlich Willkommen -

Your Exhaust Manifold is an accessory type that allows for the high heat given off from the exhaust manifold to be trapped and transferred into the cab of your driver's compartment. This type of accessory Heater Manifold is of two parts. The main item is of course, the exhaust manifold itself, which is unique in that it has a raised 'hump' with ribs on top. Some in the US call this a 'Waffle'. The second part of the heating system (and which is necessary for the heater to trap and transfer the heat to the car's interior) is not shown in the photo. If you do not have this 'cover' reproductions are easily available at Model A Parts suppliers in the U.S.
If you do not want to use this accessory manifold, excellent reproductions of originals are also available at US parts suppliers.

Auf Wiedersehen

Last edited by DougVieyra; 05-20-2017 at 01:16 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #15
fundytides

Welcome to the forum Questus. Just a word of caution. There are some little differences between Canadian and US produced Model A's. The most noticeable is the extensive use of Robertson type screws which have a square hole for the screwdriver rather than a slot or Philips type. Here in Canada most of these are available from hardware stores but they are also available from Mike's as are Canadian Data plates http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A18650C.html , etc. I am restoring a 31 Canadian Roadster.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #16
Quigley1930

:I would check and see if the fan blade is steel or aluminum. The steel ones have been known to break and wreck havoc with the hood or your head.

Sewall Tyler
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:27 AM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questus View Post

in Germany there is no dealer for A - parts !!
But there are other Model A owners in Germany.

"Christoph" is in Frankfurt.
"HotRodmicky" likes traditional hot rods and is in Germany.
"Yellowfordcoupe" is near Stuttgart/Germany.

And there are others. Advance search the members' list to see others around your area.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:46 AM   #18
Questus

FORD used in A model produced in Canada Special screws ? wouhhh

-------------
Thank you @ all, I must install a heating system, clearly, but at the moment I have other problems, Problems that you all don't know about.

-----------

Germany loves the formalism, so must I have (!) 3 opinion by technicians before Gertrude (my name for the Tudor) can be officially State-numbered.

This is not easy, in fact change the 4 yellow direction signals in an additional emergency Flash alarm... change the glasses in the lamps on asymmetrical... Change speedometer from miles/km....
Brakes check.... wheel bearings.... steering game.... everything will be approved -before- you take the first ride to hell.....

most of that Things wouldnt a great Problem

My second car (Gertrude will be the third) a beetle VW 1302 Type from the year 1971 - was changed a Little bit - driven by Porsche engine 3,o Liters 6 cyl. 204 PS 273 Nm , Porsche Brakes, Porsche axle, and evrything will be registered in Germany and approved by technicans of government authority...

I love Gertrude - tomorrow arrived the truck from netherlands - Gertrude in the rear

best regards Questus

Pics: inside Gertrude and my daily driver VW1302 - 46 years old
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (57.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (230.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 05-21-2017, 08:34 AM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Questus,
How much is an ELEPHANT car wash?
Is that a Pep-Boys' steering wheel cover?
Are you a Hot Rodder?
Bill W.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #20
fundytides

[QUOTE=Questus;1475271]FORD used in A model produced in Canada Special screws ? wouhhh

They weren't really "special". Robertson screws were developed in Canada and are commonly used to this day. They are easier to hold than the slotted screws and don't strip out as easily as a Phillips. Even my 27 Model T uses Robertson screws. The story, true or not, is that they were not adopted in the US because they were developed in Canada and US companies could not or would not obtain the license to manufacture them.
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote