Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
Henry Hopper

Default How/why, voltage regulators

It's one of those things that I've never understood and been too shy to ask ...but anyhow, what is it for, do you need it,how does it work,what happens if it goes faulty.is there a difference between a 6 volt and a 12 volt unit?..I just want to understand everything about these units.

So if anyone knows for sure about these things, could you explain it to me in easy to follow steps and not like Einstien wrote it lol.

TIA.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
adileo

Default Re: How/why, voltage regulators

In the electrical system, the voltage regulator “turns ON,” or “turns OFF ” as needed to maintain voltage at the proper level. Like an air compressor system the pressure regulator stops and starts the compressor as needed to maintain the proper level of pressure.
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
Andy

Here is what I know. Experts can add or correct. There are three relays. The first is like the cut out on a 32 or model A gen. It just disconnects the gen from the battery so the battery does not run down. The other two control the field coils. One controls the current and the othere does the same thing with voltage. You can change the setting by bending the springs on the relays. Use a voltmeter and an ammeter. Old ones may need the points cleaned to make them work. Run a seperate ground to the gen.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
Capt Kirk

There are others on here that are way more than qualified to answer this question than I am and I don't know the answer to all of your questions. When a generator is spinning, it's making voltage. The regulator is what gives the battery back its charge after starting, running lights...etc. Once the battery is back to full charge, the regulator recognizes this and essentially "disconnects" the generator from the battery so as to not over charge it. A running engine takes some voltage from the battery so, at some point, the regulator recognizes that the battery needs a charging and "reconnects" the generator. It's basically a switch. If it goes faulty, it could either over charge your battery or the battery could go dead depending on the position it's in when it fails. Yes, you need it. Not sure if there's a difference between 6 and 12 volt but I would imagine there is since it's voltage that makes it work. I've only been into one of those rectangular ones. There were a couple wire coils and contact points. I suspect that when the wire coils are energized the resulting magnetism closes the points and creates the circuit to charge the battery. When the battery is satisfied, current shuts off to the windings and the contacts open. My 35 has a little round canister sitting on the generator. I've never been into one of those but would imagine it works in much the same way.
Don't be shy around here. If you have a question, were wondering about something or have something to share...by all means post it.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
petehoovie

"A 'voltage' regulator should allow a battery to charge. It needs to limit the voltage so the battery does not over-charge and it needs to limit the current so the maximum energy limit from the generator is not exceeded. It may do this by comparing the battery voltage to the generator voltage and limiting the current - hence the regulator must be tailored to the maximum output from the generator. The other way for the regulator to work is to compare the voltage of the battery to a reference voltage and let the generator build up the voltage to that limit. If the voltage reference is just below what a fully topped off battery may be, then you will never try to over-charge the battery. It will at the same time provide some limit to the current to protect the generator".

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
flatheadmurre

A generators output from the armature is proportional to the voltage you apply to the field.
The regulator has 3 coils.
The cutout prevents leakage from the battery to the generator draining the battery when engine is not running, as soon as engine is running it closes points to let generator charge.
Voltage regulation is a coil between armature output and ground when set voltage is reached it stops the current flow to the field by opening the points.
Current regulation is a coil in series with the armature to battery when maximun output of the generator is reached it stops current flow to field by opening points preventing overheating of the generator.
The regulator doesnt monitor the battery voltage just what comes out of the regulator.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #7
4dFord/SC

"Twas brillig, and the slithy toves,
did gyre and gimble in the wabe....."
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #8
koates

Henry Hopper, You just want to understand everything about these units !! Well let me tell you it took me five years as an automotive electrical apprentice (and then some) to understand and be able to repair and adjust the many different types and makes of automotive voltage regulators. So you wont be able to learn all that on here. Having said that, there have been some good basic explanations already given here. One big problem these days is that spare parts are no longer available for most regulators to be able to always repair them as we used to do in the past. I am still repairing and setting up regulators when I have my arm twisted hard enough. I just did two 1935 Hudson units this week. Easier to do it on a generator test bench which has a variable speed electric motor to drive the generator with the matching voltage regulator wired up. These test benches also have the appropriate electrical meters and battery loads as part of their equipment for setting voltage regulators. Good luck with your studies. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #9
koates

Just to add to the above. 6, 12, & 24 volt regulators are not interchangeable as their windings are different. There are different field control circuits and current ratings, so you cannot just mix and match or swap around any old regulator with any old generator. The regulator must match up with the generator exactly. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #10
supereal

Trying to adjust a voltage regulator without the equipment and experience involved almost always results in a ruined unit. The best "test" is substitution of a known good regulator.More often than not, the problem with a charging circuit is due to poor connections or grounds, internal generator damage, or a dying battery.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:36 AM   #11
Henry Hopper

Thank you all very much for your input....I know 100% more than I knew yesterday....its a thing that I knew zero about and as such ,would not know how to check if it was playing up if stuck by the side of the road etc.
I like to understand how things work and for what reasons..
Old 08-25-2015, 05:40 AM   #12
slowforty

Henry, Have you had any luck with Women, Yet???
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:41 AM   #13
Mart

Here's what I know.

Every one I have tried to fix or adjust ended up having to be replaced.

Other peoples results may vary (hopefully).

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #14
rockfla

This may or may not be a stupid question but here goes, "IF" the voltage regulator is "a switch of sorts" and open and closes with voltage readings as needed, when and how does one go about checking proper function of the voltage regulator? As soon as you start the vehicle? with or without lights on? with the lights and heater on?
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #15
Fibber Mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Here's what I know.

Every one I have tried to fix or adjust ended up having to be replaced.

Other peoples results may vary (hopefully).

Mart.
Mart, were you referring to regulators or women?
Old 08-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #16
Henry Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
Henry, Have you had any luck with Women, Yet???
Ha ha......I count myself extremely lucky to have my wife ,she is a diamond....even persuaded me to go ahead and buy every car I ve had.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:05 AM   #17
Diavolo

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205969
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote