Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
henry's 31

Default Retard VS Advanced

Just got my 31 Roadster PIckup running again. While it seems to start and run well, when I advance or retard the engine I do not notice a difference in the way the engine runs (it does not change). Any ideas what causes this.
Help is appreciated.

Henry's 31
henry's 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Fred K-OR

Default Re: Retard VS Advanced

Henry's 31 I had the same problem with my rig. So I set mine a little more retarded and it seemed to work better. But I am one that knows nothing about this sort of thing so others on this site I am sure will give you a better answer. In fact I am looking forward to answers to see if I did the correct thing.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Henry,

Would your Pickup happened to be parked in Washing D.C. ...... sounds like it may have a similar serious virus ....... like it always remains Retarded like our today's Congress.

But seriously, is your distributor upper plate rotating back & forth when you move the spark lever?
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
henry's 31

I will check it tomorrow afternoon and see if is moving. I know the rod moves so I assume the upper plate would rotate. I will check it anyway.

Henry's 31
Old 11-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
Del in NE Ohio

Check that the upper plate arm (connects to long spark rod) is moving to full advance/retard position relative to the opening in the rear of the distributor body. When spark advance is fully retarded the plate arm should be touching the opening. Fully advance the spark and the plate arm should be touching the other side of the opening. If this is not the case, you will need to loosen your steering column (upper and lower clamps) and adjust it with a pipe wrench until the proper geometry is restored.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
kenparker

Start over with checking your timing. To much advance - even 2 - 3 degrees - will make it start and run great, but show very little if even no difference is advance - retard. See thread above to see what can happen. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #7
henry's 31

Thanks to all the replies. The weather was too bad today to get to the garage. I will check the timing and upper plate no later than Wend. and I will let you all know. I do agree the problem is in the distributor.

Thanks again,
Henry's 31
Old 11-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
700rpm

Excellent article on timing in the current Restorer.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #9
henry's 31

Thanks for the "heads up". I have not received my issue yet, but now I am looking forward to receiving it, even more. Andrews also has a good section in his book.

Henry's 31
Old 11-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #10
daveymc29

I just had the same problem with my roadster. It would start and idle great with no appreciable difference in full advance or full retard. I put the timing light on it an it was WAAAY advanced. (I have made a whiteout timing mark on my crank pulley.) So armed with that information I brought up number one to the timing mark and saw that the rotor was pointing way off the contact, so I loosened the screw that holds the distributor cam and rotated it until I felt sure it was as close to firing as I could get it on number one without firing it, used the holdfast tool and tightened the screw with a rather hefty screw driver. Rechecked the engine with the timing light and the spark totally retarded, showed spot on. Car runs great and there is about a half inch bright blue spark from the coil lead when held off from a head nut and cranking with the key on. Needless to saw, now there is a real difference in retard and advance, you can hear and feel the results of proper timing.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:40 AM   #11
henry's 31

Thanks. I believe the problem is the timing. I will be able to check it tomorrow, I will let all know afterwards.

Henry's 31
Old 11-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

I agree that the timing is most likely too advanced. When it's set correctly, for the stock head, the spark lever should be pulled half way down as soon as the engine starts, then a bit more for driving at speed, but I'd never pull the lever all the way down, even for the stock 4.2 head.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #13
henry's 31

Thanks Forum. Today I was able to go to the garage and re-time my Roadster Pickup. That took care of the problem. Now I can retard and advance the distributor and the truck is running correctly. This Forum is an incredible resource to keep our beloved "A" on the road.
Henry's 31