Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
Dave27

Default Car has been sitting 2 years should I change the oil.

I havnt started my car for about a year and a half to 2 years during the body off restorsation.Well its time to fire her up this weekend Should I drain the oil and fill it through the distributor with fresh oil or do you think the old stuff is fine. It had bran new oil right befor I started the frame off. Or should I just fire her up. Would I need to shoot anything in the cylinders due to sitting so long or just go for it. She ran like a fine tuned clock when I last ran her....Thanks in advance...Dave
Dave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Big John

Default Re: Car has been sitting 2 years should I change the oil.

when doubt, change it..then you know qhere you stand...so does the A...
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I would just start it up. If the engine was in cold storage with a lot of wild temperature swings and high humidity then the engine might have accumulated some moisture.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
jville_hot_skater

I would change it...2 yrs is a long time, you dont know if water or what not ever got into the engine.
jville_hot_skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
bogdonj

change it up... I just fired up the roadster that had been sitting for 8 years and change it! and yes I would pour some down the dist hole just to be sure. Post a vid of it starting up!!!!
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

its a no brainer change it were talking about 15 bucks right on something you have a large investment in
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
700rpm

Oil is cheap. Engine rebuilds are expensive. I'd pour oil into each spark plug hole too, and crank it a few times without starting it to get oil splashed around. It'll smoke a lot at first if you do that, but that will go away shortly.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Dave27

Thanks guys for alll the suggestions thats what I was swaying towards,I like the idea of starting fresh so I know where we stand.Yah what was I thinking 15.00 for new oil is a no brainer.I know its an age long debate but I was planning on putting in a 30 weight non detergant hope thats a good choice. Is 10/30 ok or would you guys do a solid 30 weight. Oh by the way the engine was in a insulated garage not heated but it stays warmer because my dual gas hotwater tanks are in there what ever residual heat they produce I dont know and theirs a room above the garage....Thanks....Dave
Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

are we talking about a motor that has been desludged in the valve chamber, cranckcase and oil pan or a motor that has not been opened??

if its been desludged i would use a detergent if not go non detergent. this is a debated question and just my personal opinion if it was mine
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Dave27

It has never been desludged but I have had the side cover off and it was very clean inside. I was actually quite surprised.From what I could see in the oil pan it was quite clean as well.The previous owner used to drive it from Seattle,Wa. over the mountains to eastern washington quite often, then let it sit 10- 15 years, then I bought it.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Bill Steiner

I like 30W detergent. Also I'm in Texas and it's hot here so I don't like thin oil. Just my opinion. Bill
Bill Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #12
700rpm

Dave, I'm in Portland, weather much like your country, and I drive my cars year round, and I use 10-30 detergent. But both of my engines are recent rebuilds, so there are no sludge issues. If your engine is clean, use detergent.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #13
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave27 View Post
It has never been desludged but I have had the side cover off and it was very clean inside. I was actually quite surprised.From what I could see in the oil pan it was quite clean as well.The previous owner used to drive it from Seattle,Wa. over the mountains to eastern washington quite often, then let it sit 10- 15 years, then I bought it.
For some reason I thought this was a rebuilt engine or recently rebuilt. In this case I'd remove the oil pan and remove the dipper tray to make sure there is no sludge in it. Then I'd use a good detergent oil and not too light of an oil. I'd probably use 20-50 or straight 30, but 10-30 or 10-40 should be OK too.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #14
Dave27

Thanks guys,no its not rebuilt allthough it looks like it is as you guys will see pictures some day soon.Last time I ran it I ran straight 30 weight valvoline.So is it hard pulling the pan with the engine in the car. Right now believe it or not it doesnt leak will it leak when I change the pan gasket
Old 07-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
Seth Swoboda

I am trying out Shell Rotella T 15-w40 in my A this summer. I put it in my cummins and JD4020, seems to be good stuff. My dad uses this oil in his 8BA flathead too. Age old debate and I think as long as your using at least a 30W oil your good to go.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #16
Dave27

Hmmm now I'm not sure what to do.I am excited to start it this weekend but now I'm tempted to pull the pan and make sure its clean. I do have an extra complete gasket set.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #17
1928Pickuppain

this is what i did my motors the same as yours it was never desluged. i droped my pan its realy not that big a deel to go in the car ya shure getting that rear oil pan gasket back in sucks but it reley is importaint to do if the levels of sludge under your dip tray rize to much they will block out ther2 oil pump and its by by motor gives you a chance to check the mains clearences. i couldent get my damb side valve cover off ir had never come off and i was afade of brakeing i bolt or stud what ever they are cant rember now so becouse i couldent clean in there i just filled it with non detergaint 10/w30 except for one quart i replaced with detergent the next oil chaing i replaced two non deterants with detergant eventualy after 4 or 5 oil changes i was useing all detergant oil. hay worked for me.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

After draining the oil you could use a thin wood dowel and stick it down the dipstick hole until it hits the oil pan bottom. Move it around the bottom a bit and pull it out. If it comes out clean then your oil pan probably doesn't have any sludge to worry about.

If you have sludge and pull the pan, be sure to check the dipper tray for pin holes. Sometimes the bottoms of the troughs get pin holes from water or acid, and if they aren't repaired the rod will be dry at each startup.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #19
Chris in WNC

I agree about changing the oil, but being reasonably frugal I would save the drained oil if it looks fairly clean.

use it to top off between changes or put it in an older modern car if you have one.

Hoop always tells me I should take the 5000-mile synthetic oil drained from our Volvo and run it in the Model As. perhaps that would be harmless, but I just can't do it....

Last edited by Chris in WNC; 07-21-2011 at 05:54 AM. Reason: clarity & expansion of thought
Chris in WNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #20
Dave27

Thanks guys for all the suggestions i'm going to try the wooden dowl idea first and see what I get.