Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2020, 08:43 PM   #61
Ranchero50

Default Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

Little further on the speedster build. Getting ready to sort out the seat mounts.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #62
PalAl

Default Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchero50 View Post
Sorry if this is long winded but... I'm a complete newbie to early Fords but have a long history with late '60's fairlanes, ranchero's etc. Been chasing the dream of buying or building an early highboy or similar beast using vintage parts. No 350/350 and a 9" rear for me. After seeing the Jay Leno Model T episode, the idea of a no frills roadster resonated with me.

https://www.motor1.com/news/78732/ja...del-t-hot-rod/

A simple car with a basic 4 pot flathead power and do whatever is needed to make it run reliably and be fun. Being a tall guy I just don't fit well in small cars. Tried to buy a '46 CJ2A to tinker with an it just didn't fit me.

So, after finding the below image of a custom speedster style model A build I went shopping for a body swapped chassis hoping to score a rebuilt bottom half where I wouldn't get bogged down with in depth mechanicals and could move onto the body building part.

So, after a 340 mile round trip in my Cummins powered '71 F-350 we are underway, with a few snags... First walk around showed it was missing the carb and some of the linkages as well as three shocks. Story is it came From Michigan, had a coupe body on top and the guy who sold it to the PO said it had driven around his yard. Some more looking and it became apparent I was buying a partially reassembled basket case with some new and some used parts...

So, 140 miles from home I took a couple deep breaths and took the plunge. I've taken quite a few more deep breaths the past couple days.

Once back home I stripped the no longer needed sheet metal off and mounted the steering box / column. First, of many deep breaths, was noticing that it was cracked around the levers. Looking over the steering, none of the cotter pins were in place and the toe was atrocious.

There's a ton more but I'll try to condense it. While unloading it I noticed the rear was noisy and the clutch was way out of adjustment. Long story short I need to pull the driveshaft and trans free because I'm pretty sure the pinion bearing has com apart and I need to replace the clutch pawl adjustment bolts because some have the adjustment nut frozen.

As an industrial mechanic / machinist I fear nothing mechanical and six years in the navy taught be electrical troubleshooting as well. However, I need to know which resources to search for how to get this critter apart and back together safely. So, question time:

1. I have the handbook PDF that's floating around and assume at the very least I need Les Andrews handbook Volume 1? Anything else chassis related?

2. I need picture help with the accelerator linkage that bolts to the block. Mine was mangled by the PO during the body removal. I got it straighter and moving but don't know where the foot button should land in relation to the other pedals.

3. I need a source of a decent rebuildable carb. eBay or?

4. How does the starter engage? Mine is missing the rod to actuate it.

5. Are there any floorboard drawings out there to make my own?

As always, any help is appreciated in advance. I kinda need a hug and some encouragement because I'm only half way through the 7 stages of grief.

Jamie
Hi Jamie, this may help you with your floor board
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Upper_floorboard.pdf (73.9 KB, 13 views)
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:14 PM   #63
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
I like your floorboards. Did you forget to leave access for the battery?

I had to replace my battery recently and it’s a PIA removing the rubber mat and the floorboard. You can enlarge the stock narrow access hole and the suppliers sell a larger plate so you can take the battery out without having to take out the floor board but you can use some sheet metal to cover the hole.

David Serrano
Or you could get a kit like this and only have to remove half of the floor to get at the battery. https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...earchByKeyword

or make your own, easy enough to do.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:36 PM   #64
Ranchero50

Sorry for the delay, I really need to get this thread updated. I've been chipping away at my speedster project. Currently working on making the seat after repurposing three bus seat bottoms worth of coil springs. Used the jute and cotton padding and threw a HF moving blanket on top for good measure. Now working on the seat cover. Actually got to use hog rings and pliers.

Pics are clickable if you want to see larger versions.

This is actually a lot of fun.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #65
Ranchero50

Thumbs up Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

Just a quick post showing last weeks progress. Spent last Saturday seeing if I could get it to run and dang if it didn't fire up and even charge while running. Put a couple short miles on it and the engine is loosening up as well as leaking oil nicely. This thing is a riot and brings a ton of smiles and thumbs up.

Today I spent some time getting the $5 shocks I picked up at Bratton's yard sale a couple weeks ago mounted. Figured that they were locked up but it appears that they were only leaking. Still need to find one dogbone but otherwise they are installed. With the arms and hardware I'll have around $140 in stock shocks which isn't hateful.

Might ride out to Lowes in a bit and get some satin dark blue paint for the wheels since it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:02 PM   #66
Ranchero50

Thumbs up Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

This was my today, setting up my drill press to do some engine turning on my speedsters dashboard. Even went ahead and used the same fixture to turn a glove box door. Pics are clickable for the full sized versions.

Been putting a couple miles on it here and there and the engine is loosening up nicely. Car handles well in spite of the mechanical brakes and lever shocks. It's a complete riot to drive around in.
Old 12-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #67
Ranchero50

Been doing a ton of interesting stuff the past couple months to the speedster. Built headlight stalks, tail light stalks, pretty much finished the dash and am working on oddball stuff to get it more reliable before finishing the body this winter but it seems like no one on this forum cares about something not stock...

Old 12-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #68
jbwthree

Just read through this entire thread and will be following your progress from here. Incredible and inspiring work, thanks for taking the time to document and share. You’re a true craftsman.

Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbwthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #69
kenparker0703

"since no one on his board csres about anything but stock" ---not true. Here is one that loves what you are doing and is following carefully. Started my second speedster. (sold my first one two years ago and now regret it.)

This new speedster will be a boattail but I am starting out with a 28 cowl section and custom from there back Most of the mechanicals are in a pile in the back of the shop already rebuilt , waiting for assembly on frame.

Maybe I can get enuff photos to do a thread like yours.. ken
kenparker0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #70
Chuck Dempsey

Do please keep us posted on your progress. It looks great so far.....
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #71
deuce5wndw

Enjoying this thread! Keep the progress reports coming!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #72
jmendoza8

What did you do with the left front fender, as it looked to be (From a distance) in pretty Good shape ?
jmendoza8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #73
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenparker0703 View Post
"since no one on his board csres about anything but stock" ---not true. Here is one that loves what you are doing and is following carefully. Started my second speedster. (sold my first one two years ago and now regret it.)

This new speedster will be a boattail but I am starting out with a 28 cowl section and custom from there back Most of the mechanicals are in a pile in the back of the shop already rebuilt , waiting for assembly on frame.

Maybe I can get enuff photos to do a thread like yours.. ken
Ken,

It’s been fun following this thread. Hope you are able to start your own thread. Good choice on the ‘28 cowl, I think Speedsters look best with the ‘28-29 cowl with the narrow radiator shield and hood. The ‘30-31 radiator shield looks too boxy.

Good luck,

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #74
Ranchero50

Gentlemen, thanks for the kind words. I'll try to keep this thread better updated moving forward and maybe fill in some gaps on the lamp stalks.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:57 AM   #75
Chris in WNC

".....but it seems like no one on this forum cares about something not stock..."

anything with 21" wheels and a flat four engine is close enough to interest me.
lots of difference between an "A" speedster and a street rod......
Old 12-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #76
macdonge

Keep going Ranchero50. I like it!
macdonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:02 PM   #77
Ranchero50

Lightbulb Re: Newbie '29 Speedster project, the good the bad and even the ugly (maybe)

Abbreviated update. Used a pair of early A center bumper Ford emblems as the centerpiece to hold my custom machined and aged foot steps that I wanted to look like something from an old horse buggy. Mission accomplished I think.

Added in a bonus pic. Both carbs were taken completely apart, dipped in the gallon jug of auto parts place carb cleaner and reassembled. The A carb with the old gaskets. The B was a hunk of rust that was stuck. Both came back to life and ran great. Currently the big B Zenith is on the car.

Next up are headers, intake and body side pipes.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:02 AM   #78
Chuck Dempsey

Great job! Keep us posted. Love the pics......
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:21 PM   #79
Floats

Hi Jamie,
Thanks for sharing your progress, and cograts with a job well done.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:48 PM   #80
Ranchero50

Two more weeks progress. The exhaust is about 95% finished. It's all made from 1.5" 18ga tubing. Used a small shop vac hose to figure out the bends. Ordered an assortment of pipes from Summit. Machined a pair of wooden pipe holders for the straight header pipes. Cut and fit the individual cylinder pipes to match the template and connect the dots. Made a new intake and fitted the B carb. 1-4 and 2-3 head pipes merged, then fabbed a 40% opening X crossover and rolled some straight pipe in the tubing bender to gain an organic curve. Balonia cut the tips and made a frame mount. Still need to make a frame mount for the header and then wrap the whole works in wrap. Free revving it's surprisingly quiet for no mufflers.

Pictures are clickable for full sized versions.

Next up is the spare tire mount.