Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
Phred

Default Remote Oil Filter, etc.

I am adding a remote oil filter to my Model A block, as the Scalded Dog "Y" headers do not allow for the handy Mikes Affordable valve cover set up.

I have filled the wide grooves (see photo) at the top of the oil pump to force oil out of the block at the factory threaded hole, through a filter, and then will return the oil back into the valve chamber through a fitting in the front of the valve cover. This should give a full/nearly full flow filtering system.

1) How will the distributor drive gear and center cam journal get oiled as the cavity above the oil pump is now sealed/restricted?

Is there enough "leakage" past the top of the oil pump to provide sufficient oiling?

Will I want to carve a tiny groove vertically in the plugged portion of the oil pump to let a "little" oil past?

Or is the distributor drive gear and center cam journal oiled from another source?

2) While the engine is torn down, this is also a good time to add pressurized oil to the center main cap that is fitted with AER inserted bearings in a similar fashion as in the next photo.

Would any oil bleeding off to the center main affect the effectiveness of of the oil filtering?

Thanks in advance for any experienced opinions.
Peace, Phred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg centermainoiler-a.jpg (79.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Pump.jpg (27.2 KB, 88 views)
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote