Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #21
Kube

Default Re: 40 Ford Replacement Panel

I promised an update and here it is:
The pan from United Pacific is with little doubt the same one supplied (when available) by other vendors.
At first glance, it's a beauty. Installation is going slow as many, and I mean MANY measurements are not at all near the authentic pan. Might be okay for a lot of folks but I don't like "good enough"... I like "as authentic".
This pan will require cutting, bending, adding material in places, etc.
When I'm done, I'll challenge anyone to detect it from Henry steel.
Just thought you guys that actually care about doing things correctly would appreciate the update. Yeah, It's better than a bent up and rusted out pan but it's far from a direct replacement.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #22
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I promised an update and here it is:
The pan from United Pacific is with little doubt the same one supplied (when available) by other vendors.
At first glance, it's a beauty. Installation is going slow as many, and I mean MANY measurements are not at all near the authentic pan. Might be okay for a lot of folks but I don't like "good enough"... I like "as authentic".
This pan will require cutting, bending, adding material in places, etc.
When I'm done, I'll challenge anyone to detect it from Henry steel.
Just thought you guys that actually care about doing things correctly would appreciate the update. Yeah, It's better than a bent up and rusted out pan but it's far from a direct replacement.
Thanks for following up.

I located and original 1940 Ford full floor pan with rockers and no rust for my tudor project. My car needs a front floor pan. I'll be installing the Ford floor in my car with the help of an expert metal fabrication man.

I will be needing this rear pan that you have reported on. Guess we'll have some fun making it "correct".
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 PM   #23
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
Thanks for following up.

I located and original 1940 Ford full floor pan with rockers and no rust for my tudor project. My car needs a front floor pan. I'll be installing the Ford floor in my car with the help of an expert metal fabrication man.

I will be needing this rear pan that you have reported on. Guess we'll have some fun making it "correct".
Seth, I didn't mean to discourage anyone but rather, give a heads up as to what folks are in for. I'll have this installed in a day, perhaps two. However, I will tack it in place and install the trunk lid to be certain all fits as I require.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:44 PM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Drake , Carpenter , and United Pacific all come from the same factory in China. My understanding is the factory contract's have been requiring larger than demand production runs is why we have seen the discontinue of production by both Drake and Carpenter on many of the replacement body panels. United Pacific is the new player in the game trying to satisfy the factory
I know at least some of the panels (33/34) are made in the U.S. as I know the guys that fabricate them.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #25
TJ

Quote:
Thanks for following up.

Seth the rear pan shown in the photos is for a coupe. if you have a tudor it uses a different rear pan.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #26
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Seth the rear pan shown in the photos is for a coupe. if you have a tudor it uses a different rear pan.
Tom, yes I realize this. I assume the rear pan for the tudor will also need the same kind of "messaging" to make it correct. Thanks for the heads up though. Mike Kubarth and Michael Driskell have been a wealth of assistance and knowledge for me over many years. I appreciate all the help from barners like yourself too.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #27
TJ

Quote:
Tom, yes I realize this. I assume the rear pan for the tudor will also need the same kind of "messaging" to make it correct. Thanks for the heads up though. Mike Kubarth and Michael Driskell have been a wealth of assistance and knowledge for me over many years. I appreciate all the help from barners like yourself too.
Seth, thank you. At one point Drake made the panel for a tudor, but who knows if it's still being made or in stock. I would call just to see if he might have one.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #28
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Seth, thank you. At one point Drake made the panel for a tudor, but who knows if it's still being made or in stock. I would call just to see if he might have one.
I will do that. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll include that on their "black Friday" sales order.