Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #21
Jon

Default Re: Don't mind me,, just a rant about drivers..

Got on a road a couple weeks ago that they had recently covered with tar and gravel, was only for a couple miles and most had been driven over pretty good, not much traffic, so kept motoring along at 50 mph. (55 speed limit two lane country road). This guy came up behind me right on my tail, waited a few seconds then pulled out and passed me. I wasn't thinking or would have slowed down quickly. As he pulled in front of me and went through the loose gravel, car got sprayed. Have about 4 nicks in windshield now and numerous small paint chips. The worst part is we went less than a 1/4 mile and this guy pulls off the road into a business parking lot. If the wife hadn't been riding no telling what my poor judgement would have allowed me to do. So we have them in Michigan also.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
dude

Patrick, Got your message and enjoyed reading about your day on the road. Hope tomorrow will be better. And come on boys,the man was just venting about a bad day on the road. Can't we all just get along.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #23
raceron1120

Politics aside, I'll get back to the rant. . .

It's the same here in Michigan, lack of common courtesy when driving anymore. It's definitely a defensive world out there.

MI recently passed the Distracted driving Law but it does little good if there aren't enough of MI's finest out there to enforce it. I commute rought 140 miles (yes I know - waaaay too much but I prefer living outside of the urban areas) and see a lot of wacky, goofy stuff going on out there. But I really notice a big difference between commuter traffic vs. casual - or as I call it - "mall shopper" traffic. Generally the commuters are predictable; we can draft at 80 mph on the freeways without too much problem. But soon as I hit an exit and have to take the service roads or 2-lanes, watch out! I've seen those guys like you mentioned doing almost the same exact thing, and seen 'em t-bone cars while racing thru a red light.

Defense, defense, and CYA. It's scary anymore to go for a leisurely evening drive with the old car, and a definite no-no to park & leave it someplace where it's out of sight.

It might be politics that's gotten us into this situation but sadly it's reality.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #24
jrelliott

Just remember when driving especially with our older cars that the majority of people driving the other vehicles on the road are texting, on their cell phone, hundreds of other tasks while driving, high on something or mentally challeged. This being said expect them to do dumb things and they will invaribly prove you wrong they will pull stunts proving them even dumber than you can imagine. We live in the mountains and hate it when the flat landers come up for the weekends. Best solution is to not drive on the weekends.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #25
jaguar6165

So apprently our political views determine the type of driving we do? I am not a radical either way (was too young to NOT vote for bush and was old enough to NOT vote for Obama). I consider my self pretty much in the middle and Im young so Im going to say the music I listen to would put me into that young "punk" category. However i can asure you that i dont drive like a moron in any of my cars whether its the A or my truck. But it seems that i must drive like a moron because i fall into the "moron" category according to most of your posts. Since being a "moron" only takes being more liberal then the most conservative person and listening to music you dont like. This is the most ridiculous thing ive read. I havent been a member long but I have already seen plenty of threads turn into a pissing contest or some sort of arguement.

Depending on your age, which im assuming the large majority of you are much older than i am being that i am only 24. The kids climbing on your car were probably raised by some one not too much different from your children and you probably wouldnt say your kids did a poor job of parenting. Yes its annoying but its not a kid being raised by a liberal or a conservative its a kid being a kid and wanting to play. The parents should definitely stop them and i would say something too. And if the parent gives you an attitude then they obviously lack respect that everyone should have for each other. I definitely agree with the idea that America is dumbing down but i dont lump everyone into one category because i dont agree with something they say or do.

So can we all have some of that respect, exchange stories and have a good time. Im trying to learn as much as i can about Model As from as many of you as i can. So stop the BS and contribute something useful.

Getting back to the original topic Florida drivers are by far the worst.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:30 AM   #26
dean from bozeman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Being brought up in the inner city I learned how to look at both sides, try to understand others, take action and live. So I enjoy the same with political talk. However, I do not enjoy one sided banter. I do not enjoy conservatives that blame everything on liberals or vice versa. If Larry or anyone else has diarhhea must they blame liberals? My dad does things like that and haven't enjoyed it for well over 50 years. Perhaps closed mindedness is why I chose to live 2,000+ miles away from him.

For those of you who have driven in other countries you understand that even with a few jerks on the road, the United States is a great place to drive a vehicle (car, truck, RV, motorcycle, etc.). Try driving through an African market place; anywhere in Gibraltar; Paris during rush hour; Ireland with the hedges and bicyclists; a 7 lane roundabout just about anywhere. I've driven well over a million miles in these here states and have experienced quite a lot but I wouldn't trade it for anywhere else.

Right now I'm going to get in the '28 Tudor, drive down some dusty dirt roads and "ahooga" a few of my cowboy friends.

Happy Trails!
Dean
Old 07-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #27
Cool Hand Lurker

The biggest cause of poor driving is inattentiveness, usually caused by cellphone use now. But there is a remedy out there.

Trinity Noble is a Pennsylvania-based company that is trying to make a device available to the public that would limit cell phone use while driving. It only prevents use in the driver seat area. According to the company, what this device does is it senses when your cell phone is trying to connect and it 'chirps' across the RF frequency spectrum the cell phone operates on and it basically shows that you have no signal.

Section 333 of the Communications Act specifically prohibits the operation of jamming devices. Currently, the FCC will not allow Trinity Noble to sell the product to the public. That law will have to be amended before it can be used.

I hope that they will become standard equipment on new vehicles. I don’t think there is any legitimate reason to be using a cell phone while driving. If you need to call 911 the unit could be designed to allow that or you can just shut off the car to make the call.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #28
jaguar6165

Driving here in Florida is terrible Red light running is becoming a huge problem and people tailgate me while im driving the A quite a bit. But the way i look at it is the same way i look at riding a motorcycle. I enjoy so I am going to continue to do it with the risks always in the back of my mind. Hopefully I will be able to continue to drive/ride around on a nice day and stay clear of any accidents. Im also hoping that people notice the A so if the hit something it will wont be me since they are looking at the car

Unfortunately people find it that they must talk on their cellphones every where they go. The real problem now is texting while driving. That to me surpasses talking on the cellphone. It is probably the dumbest thing you can do next to driving blindfolded. I believe there are studies out there that show it is worse then driving drunk, if thats possible.

Like you mentioned, Cool Hand, technology will always be there and fortunately there are people smart enough to make programs and devices that take some of the distractions away. There are programs now that let you talk, it converts what youve said into a text message and will send it for you. Now we just need everyone to use it instead of taking their hands off the wheel and their eyes off the road to send that oh so important text about god nows what.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #29
Frank Miller

Now it is texting and driving that causes distractions. When I was a kid it was scantily clad women that caused distracted driving. Now I'm too busy looking for another playlist on the ipod to be distracted by scantily clad women. BTW ever try working the climate controls in a newer Lincoln?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #30
Patrick L.

Can I relate a story that kinda concerns texting?? Don't read if you're not interested and I promise it is not political.. I started flying with a friends daughter[ I've flown with 3 generations of this family]when she was 15 and she soloed on her 16th birthday..She flies well.. Her mother taught her to drive and on the way to the airport one day the daughter told me about her driving test and she was livid over failing it because she was only going 5 mph over the limit and that the light was yellow when she started through the intersection so it wasn't her fault that it changed before she drove through it and that she just barely hit that other car while she was demonstrating parallel parking..She deserved to pass.. Well, some years later, I'm now giving her commercial flight lessons and whenever she is driving when we ride together she is constantly on the phone or texting,, and,, she is still a terrible driver.. I would rather fly with her than drive.. Anyway she is furious with me because I told her that I refuse to teach her if she continues any type of cellphone usage while I'm with her.. Oh, this kinda came about when she pulled out her cellphone and started calling someone while we were flying one day.. No matter where you go or what you do, everyone around you has a cellphone stuck in their ear and if you can't see the phone its even scarier cuz their probably texting.. Have you also noticed that when you're out with other people as soon that phone goes off they feel the need to answer it??!! I turn mine off in those circumstances.. AH OH,, I'm ranting again aren't I ??!! Sorry..
Old 07-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #31
jaguar6165

Look at the bright side atleast if your flying and using the phone theres pretty much only one thing to hit, the ground.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #32
Jeff/Illinois

Be careful out there. Just this past Friday in Moline, Ill. a 54 year old woman honked her horn at a guy who cut her off in traffic.

He used his truck to block her car, got out and proceeded to punch her face in,,,police report said she was bleeding PROFUSELY from the face and nose. Broke her face and nose, then he turned on her son and beat the hell out of him.

This maniac is in jail now. Has quite a record already ranging from assault and battery on an 18 year old girl and her baby to drug possession. Not bad for a 24 year old 'tough guy' who beats women.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #33
Earle

Patrick, No problem - your initial post was NOT "political" at all. Just a general rant against bad drivers. - and well said!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #34
Larry Brumfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Be careful out there. Just this past Friday in Moline, Ill. a 54 year old woman honked her horn at a guy who cut her off in traffic.

He used his truck to block her car, got out and proceeded to punch her face in,,,police report said she was bleeding PROFUSELY from the face and nose. Broke her face and nose, then he turned on her son and beat the hell out of him.

This maniac is in jail now. Has quite a record already ranging from assault and battery on an 18 year old girl and her baby to drug possession. Not bad for a 24 year old 'tough guy' who beats women.

If that had happened in Texas there's a good chance that someone would have dusted his butt with a pump shotgun!

The baggy pant moron would wake up instantly and see the err in his ways ..... if he's still breathing.

Larry B.

Last edited by Larry Brumfield; 07-31-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #35
Bob A.

Patrick as I read your post I was saying to myself ,this sounds like New York. The last sentence confirmed my thoughts.
I get these a** holes all the time with the model A or the Harley. I lost many a gas cap on the Harley by throwing them. Now they are too expensive to hurl away so we use stones. I wish I could do what Larry stated about Texans.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #36
Bob A.

"Stop signs are only a suggestion"

Here in New York they mean: Squeal Tires On Pavement
Old 07-31-2010, 06:06 PM   #37
Patrick L.

[quote] If that had happened in Texas there's a good chance that someone would have dusted his butt with a pump shotgun!

The baggy pant moron would wake up instantly and see the err in his ways ..... if he's still breathing.[end quote]

Thats funny,, I like that !! I think the place where that 'moron' would wake up would be very very warm !!
I usually have a Gold Cup tucked between the seats/cushions,but, the politicians would take them away from us if most of them had their way and I won't say what kind of politicians they are.. The problem is though that that 'punk' would only pick on an older defenseless lady,, like your mother or grandmother..
Boy, I'm surprised how far this one little post has gone.. OH, BTW, todays ride to the diner was cool, breezy and uneventful.. In other words it was very nice, until our local 'know it all' had to tell me the ownership history of my car.. It was especially nice to tell him how full of #$@* his was..But, I was polite about it.. Well, somewhat polite..
Old 07-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #38
therupperts

You can fix a lot of stuff - Stupid isn't one of them.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #39
Bob A.

[QUOTE=Patrick L.;

I usually have a Gold Cup tucked between the seats/cushions of my car..

Hey Patrick,What kind of coffee you have in that "Gold Cup"?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #40
aaron griffey

Send a message via Yahoo to aaron griffey

What???? you mean there is no law that says you can only turn off from a freeway unless you pass a car in the right lane 50 feet before the off-ramp?
Closed Thread