Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #41
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: To rebuild or not to rebuild - that is the question.

I would get start on titling it as a 1st thing to do. If very easy in Indiana , you never know when the rules could change. I have personally been through this myself. In Wi you have to have a bonded title for 3 years, before they send you a clear title. Part of the paperwork I had to fill out included having a police officer come to my house(truck was not running), and verify the info/ID was correct and he had to sign/date the paperwork. I was lucky and explained to him the ID was under the cab, and he accepted the Motor # and noted the # was from the motor on the paperwork. Some states insist the # be the Frame #. So best to do this now before you put things back together, you may have to lift the body. I do not believe you have to get plates/tags at the same time. After 90 years It is not uncommon for the Frame and Motor # not matching, motor replacements/etc.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #42
40 Deluxe

I have a question: Why do so many people put such a strict monetary value on the Model A hobby?? Does your banker or lawyer worry about the resale value of his golf clubs, or does he just enjoy the game with the best clubs he can afford? It's the same in other hobbies, too. If your focus is on the money, on an imagined need to break even or turn a profit when/if you sell, you will never enjoy this hobby!
If you spent, say, $50,000 on a restoration and then sold it for, say, $25,000, did you "lose" $25,000? NO! You just spent $25,000 enjoying your hobby! If that $25,000 means so much to you, why did you buy a Model A in the first place, Mr. Scrooge?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:04 PM   #43
30 Closed Cab PU

Different stokes for different folks

Some people have money to spend, and do not mind spending it.
Some have money but are frugal.
Some do not have a lot of money to spend or are on fixed incomes, and have to be frugal.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:11 PM   #44
daveymc29

With one side there and the other missing, my guess is that there is a reason which may involve taking the body off the frame to straighten back to specs. I'm no expert, but I did do one and it took me years. Not something I wish to repeat at 83, so I will leave it there.If the frame is bent I'd sure get some outside opinions before I started shelling out five to six grand for a nice inserted engine, 5 to 6 hundred for a good radiator and countless hours finding fenders, doors and running boards. Unless you are a whiz bang body man don't count on using the repo parts. You may have a nice parts car for your next project car.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:58 PM   #45
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
I have a question: Why do so many people put such a strict monetary value on the Model A hobby?? Does your banker or lawyer worry about the resale value of his golf clubs, or does he just enjoy the game with the best clubs he can afford? It's the same in other hobbies, too. If your focus is on the money, on an imagined need to break even or turn a profit when/if you sell, you will never enjoy this hobby!
If you spent, say, $50,000 on a restoration and then sold it for, say, $25,000, did you "lose" $25,000? NO! You just spent $25,000 enjoying your hobby! If that $25,000 means so much to you, why did you buy a Model A in the first place, Mr. Scrooge?
My thoughts exactly.

On the other hand...
Millionaires want my car, won't pay more than the value of 3 of the tires for it though.
No surprises how they got their money.
Would rather watch my car rot into the lawn.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:57 AM   #46
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post

I suppose this is true for new vehicles too, although they are not necessarily a hobby. Folks often spend $50,000+ on a pickup that will only be worth $25,000 a few short years later because of the depreciation.

Does anybody remember the “Invest in a Lincoln” car sales campaign from a long while back? That “investment” was actually just the price of enjoyment. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:53 AM   #47
ronn

because I could buy the very best tudor out there for 25k, not lift a finger and go out to dinner for 5 years on the other 25k

some people enjoy pain..................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #48
shew01

My first antique car was a 1957 Ford Fairlane that needed “fixed up.” I thought I would enjoy putting time into the car, and, at first, I did. However, the car ended up being another “mouth to feed.” Unexpectedly, I ended up:

- Having the transmission rebuilt
- Replacing the radiator
- Replacing the rusted out radiator support (which required a “treasure hunt” for a vintage radiator support on the other side of the country that cost more to ship than what I paid for the used part)
- Replacing the fuel pump (after a “treasure hunt” to find one that has a vacuum fitting for the wipers)
- Removing the gas tank to fix a leak
- The list went on and on, just for a car that I intended to use for a “driver”

It was fun while I had the car, but I don’t miss it.

The next old car I purchased was a 1965 Ford Mustang that seemed to be in good shape. I’ve had that car a couple of years. It ran great when I bought it, but there have been several replacement parts another the way.

- Replaced carburetor to fix hesitation
- New radiator
- Replaced all wheel cylinders
- Rebuilt rear brakes from the ground up
- Replaced all weather seal gaskets on doors and trunk to stop leaks

I still have that car, and I enjoy driving it.

The next old car was a 1931 Ford Model A that purchase about 8 months ago. I specifically looked for one that appeared to be in great shape so I could spend more time driving it than working on it. Even, at that, I’ve had unexpected repairs.

- New radiator
- Rear seal replacement on (4 speed overdrive) transmission
- Wobbly front wheel that needed shimmed (fortunately, I found a close by mechanic that knew how to repair that)
- Sagging driver door that needed shimmed (fortunately, the same mechanic was able to fix that—I mistakenly thought it was a door pin, but it had something to do with the alignment of the door post to the frame)

All old cars will have lots of unexpected expenses. Just driving them again after they have been parked for an extended period of will cause things to break shortly after they are placed on the road. Many of the required fixes have been very unintuitive to me, especially for the Model A.

I still enjoy the hobby though. :-)

Old 04-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #49
Benson

About titles:

A fellow posted on the internet that he bought a VW bus cheap.

Then he spent $40,000 restoring it.

Next he applied for a title … Guess how he felt when he found that the car had been stolen years earlier.

Then Police took car and returned it the insurance company.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #50
shew01

Ouch! [emoji37]

Old 04-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #51
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...This A would be a great second A sort of project in my humble opinion. With a new Lady you are going to have many things to do. She is far more likely to enjoy riding in an already completed, nicely upholstered car...Tudors can be purchased at costs of around $12,000 to $15,000 in good running condition.

First move is to join the local club and see what members might have for sale that would come with some help and schooling on Model A Fords. Club members know the cars in the club and sometimes the cars in other clubs that are not too far away. If you start with a good reliable machine the chances are much greater that you will have a good experience first time out of the box. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #52
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
The next old car I purchased was a 1965 Ford Mustang that seemed to be in
The next old car was a 1931 Ford Model A that purchase about 8 months ago. I specifically looked for one that appeared to be in great shape so I could spend more time driving it than working on it. Even, at that, I’ve had unexpected repairs.

- New radiator
- Rear seal replacement on (4 speed overdrive) transmission
- Wobbly front wheel that needed shimmed (fortunately, I found a close by mechanic that knew how to repair that)
- Sagging driver door that needed shimmed (fortunately, the same mechanic was able to fix that—I mistakenly thought it was a door pin, but it had something to do with the alignment of the door post to the frame)

All old cars will have lots of unexpected expenses. Just driving them again after they have been parked for an extended period of will cause things to break shortly after they are placed on the road. Many of the required fixes have been very unintuitive to me, especially for the Model A.
Please explain "Wobbly front wheel that needed shimmed"?? Not sure how you would go about shimming a wheel??

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote