Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
tubman

Default '51 Ford door lock mechanism

Since I got my '51 in '87, the passenger side door lock hasn't worked.; The key turns, but it won't unlock. The drivers side works fine. I decided I should finally fix this, so yesterday, I pulled the door panel and started on it. At first, I found that the square rod coming out of the lock itself was not in the square hole in the lock mechanism. I removed the lock itself and finally got the "square peg in the square hole". When I tried it, it still didn't work. I really can't see how the mechanism works, even though I have used mirrors and a flashlight to look inside the door. Does anyone have a diagram of how it all goes together, and perhaps how to fix it? I have to believe that there has to be an internal joint that fell apart somehow (raising and lowering the lock handle does lock and unlock the door). Will removing the latch mechanism give me access to the lock linkage?

Thanks for any help.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: '51 Ford door lock mechanism

When the lock turns it moves a slide shaft up an down to engage.
Sounds like something is broken or has come apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a 51 latch.jpg (330.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 05-15-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
tubman

Thanks "51-Merc". Can you tell me which side of the car that is for and which side of the picture is "up"?
Old 05-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Thanks "51-Merc". Can you tell me which side of the car that is for and which side of the picture is "up"?
Hear Ya go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a drv ltch.jpg (322.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
tubman

OK, I just got back from the shop working on this and here is what I've found. I have the linkages on both sides properly connected, so turning the key moves the mechanism. I have 4 lock mechanisms, 2 are the originals from the car, and two are reproductions. All four of the lock mechanisms will only turn 90 degrees counter clockwise. This works fine on the driver's side, as turning the key will unlock the door. They way they work means you cannot lock the drivers door with a key. On the passenger side, turning the key the requisite 90 degrees will lock the door, but it cannot be unlocked with the key. If the passenger side door lock would turn 90 degrees clockwise, it would unlock the door just fine. By the way, the lock mechanisms are "handed" (mirror images different for either side). Mine are mounted with the relief on the cover up.

So I have a couple of questions for guys with '60-'51 Fords. First, can you lock the doors with the key, or only unlock them? Second which way do you have to turn the key to unlock them on either side, clockwise or counter clockwise). It seems to me that I have a couple of defective passenger side lock mechanisms that turn the wrong way and lock the door, but not unlock it. I thought I knew about these cars, but I am in uncharted territory here. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
mfirth

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hi Denny, i can lock the drivers dr on the 52 w the key, but not unlock it. The passemger dr locks & unlocks with the key. Boy am i smart er what L O L ! Hope all's well at yer end.
If these were late 60s, early 70s thru 90s door lock i could really help since i did most of the testing on them at Ford. Good luck, mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote