Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
Phred

Default Low braking phenomena

28 phaeton, mechanical brakes, one piece not multi piece service brake cross bar, brake rods and linkages rebuilt/refurbished and well adjusted. They can lock up straight and true at speed if needed. 99.99% of the time all works as expected. Once in a great while, the brake pedal will only travel “so far” and only allow 50% braking. No matter how hard the pedal is pushed, the pedal does not seem to move any more and braking is not increased. It is not a brake fade situation as the pedal does not go to the floor, Kind of unnerving.

My first reaction was to “pump” the pedal and after the first release of the brakes all braking returned to normal. In the subsequent few instances of the phenomena, releasing and reapplying the pedal corrects the situation first time every time.

I have visually watched the movements of all the rods and linkages and do not see anything even close to binding or any restrictions. Similarity, I do not see anything binding or twisted when I remove the drums.

Your collective wisdom would be appreciated.
Peace
Phred
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:26 AM   #2
Bill G

Default Re: Low braking phenomena

Sounds like something in the linkage is catching on something occasionally. Maybe the pedal shaft or the pedal to cross shaft linkage. Check for tight clearances.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:29 AM   #3
J Franklin

Interesting, there must be something binding. Is there an axillary return spring?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:44 AM   #4
bavArian

I'd disconnect the front or rear axle brake linkage first. If nothing changes with one axle disconnected, you can assume that the disconnected axle is fine. If you can isolate it to one axle, reconnect the good axle and disconnect only one wheel on the bad axle.

If nothing changes when disconnecting the axles, the error must be "further upstream".

Without having had such a problem, I'd guess that (like mentioned before) there is a tight clearance somewhere that likes to bind when the brake hasn't been used for some time. Maybe old grease?
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:23 AM   #5
Phred

Yes, there is a aux pedal return spring, driven nearly every day (1000 miles) since this April, was greased well in April. The phenomena probably once in every 1000+ brake applications(?). It has not occurred on the first application of brakes (after setting for a day or two).

I cannot do anything to make the phenomena happen at will.

Interesting...

Phred
Old 06-22-2020, 06:43 AM   #6
Jim/GA

Look very carefully at the front actuating wedges, the piece that the pin pushes down on that is bolted to the backing plate. Are both of these stock design? Or do you have improved floater design? I think one is jamming if it gets a little crooked or cocked on the bolt. Look for signs of metal jamming, burrs, etc.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #7
jb-ob

Get Out & Under.....Check to see the service Brake Cross Shaft has full clear rotation not hitting the tranny, u-joint area.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #8
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Dont want the one in a thousand to happen when you need the brakes.Do one wheel at a time disassemble till youve checked everything.Find the root cause and fix it.No shortcuts,check it all.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #9
bobbader

I think my friend JB-OB is on to something here. Clearance of service brake crosshaft to U-joint housing might be compromised. Also, kudos for the 1000 + miles recently driven and complimentary grease job. The next question might be ............... what, if any, maintenance, repair, inspection of the complete brake system has been done recently. Give us some history. How long have you owned the car? What, (again) if anything has been done to the brake system in the car's recent history?

Next question ................What might be moving when you "pump the pedal" to alleviate the problem? Whatever is moving in that scenario is reversing some movement that has caused the lack of pedal movement to begin with. Find what moves when you pump the pedal and you'll find what caused it to jamb the pedal in the first place. This might take some keen investigating. Next time the pedal jambs, stop the car however you might without pumping the pedal, turn the motor off, remove the floorboards, get yourself down in a position where you can slowly pump the pedal by hand and watch any moving parts in the nearby proximity to determine when and what in the pumping process releases the "jamb". This may involve a trial and error multiple time approach and may need you to enlist a helper to "slowly" hand pump the pedal while you study each moveable part in the system. As JB says ........ "time to get out and under". Otherwise, think of the consequences if the next time you're going down the road and your "pumping the pedal" might not provide the desired "fix".

Good luck and keep putting those miles on. Bob Bader
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #10
Floats

Hi Phred,
My 2c
Put a little side load on the pedal in order to attempt replicating the interference.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #11
updraught

Brake pins binding in the king pin?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:06 AM   #12
Phred

Thanks, pedal side load and brake pin/king pin interference are things I had not thought of.
Will recheck all again because sometimes you can look but not see...

FWIW, "pumping" the brakes is probably a misnomer. The phenomena goes away with the first release of the pedal and all works normal after the next brake pedal application.

Phred
Old 06-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #13
larrys40

Phred

Not sure if you have located the trouble yet but as hinted above
There are several key things to check out I would look at first.
I’ve done much A brake work and comprehensive restores and have seen a wide variety of issues.
1. Are the engine mounts worn and causing the rear of the transmission to run on the brake cross shaft? If so that could cause pedal issues and is common on worm out cars .

2 if the front backing plates are lose he brake operating pin can bind in the kingpin causing issues . Tighten backing plate bolts very tightly and make sure the pins are not binding by removing them and inspecting.

3 make sure no brake pedal or rod from pedal to respective backing plate is binding or has issue.

Please report back

Larry shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:49 AM   #14
1931 flamingo

Where is the batt cable from the batt to the starterrun?? Could it be interfering??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:57 PM   #15
old31

PH, I was following this brake problem. Did you ever fix the problem?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:57 PM   #16
duke36

Tmely thread; we have binding on 1 front drum when newish brakes adjusted / applied. 12 degree front actuator seems OK. Removed drum, 1 woven lining loose to shoe ( never seen this before and not sure who supplied shoes). Re-seated rivets and sanded lining leading edges. Next is to check operating pin action thru king pin which also may be the problem. Roller tracks appear new. Drum measures 11" i.d.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:25 AM   #17
nkaminar

Is this the early 28 with the equalizer bar that is supposed to apply equal braking left to right? That may be something to look at. There were upgrades to that mechanism before it was eventually eliminated. I have no experience with this mechanism but others on the forum have complained of issues.

Please disregard, I see you stated that you have the solid cross bar.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:13 PM   #18
700rpm

I hit a severe bump with my coupe once that caused the problem Phred describes. When I got out and got under, I found that the bump had caused the DS rear brake rod to be thrown up on top of the shock absorber linkage, making it immovable. I slipped it back into position, checked for straightness, and drove on. It was about a 12" unmarked drop in a repaving project, no crew around. I was doing abour 35 mph and didn’t even see it as I approached.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote