Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default VanPelt 47 Tranny Rebuild

Just wanted to share with everyone the great experience I've had so far with Mac VanPelt rebuilding my transmission that was long overdue for such.

Right from the start it has been first class service. He built a crate specially made for my transmission and sent it to me with instructions on how to install my tranny in the crate for return to him. UPS delivered and picked up.

He then started dismantling by tranny and photographed each step of the way and emailed the pictures to me with descriptions of what I was looking at.

This right here was my biggest problem - the first gear on the cluster gear worn so far he said "It's truly a wonder that one of the teeth did not part ways with the gear casting, as there is so little left of it." That damage began grinding through a giant half frozen mud puddle on Potash Road near Moab 4 years ago at maximum RPM in low gear. (Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWEHZQpuiwI).

Here are Mac's thoughts about replacing the cluster gear: "Here is my thought on the cluster gear. You presently have a stock 28-24-18-14 tooth cluster gear, which most definitely needs replacement. This type uses the caged roller bearings inside. Ford came out with a comparable gear (same tooth count) for the 1949-50 Ford transmissions, which had a smaller bore and used the loose needle bearings. I like this gear for its more precise control of the cluster gear, especially under load. I have one NORS Borg Warner gear in stock of this type, and I would much prefer to use this in your transmission over the type originally used. This gives us a completely interchangeable gear (provided we use the appropriate tube and needles) for a more reliable cluster gear that handles the power better." I, of course, went along with his recommendation. Here's the NORS gear he put in with new needle bearings:

He also replaced the first gear that was quite worn.

Shifter shafts were fairly worn:

So, he replaced those with NOS shafts:

And cleaned up or replaced other shifting parts to look and work like new:

Cleaned or replaced all of the other moving parts and put it all back together with all spaces strictly according to specs:

And finished off with a new paint job:

Even reinstalled the stock safety wires:

I'm excited to get it back, hopefully this week, and get "On the Road Again".

Last edited by Old Henry; 04-23-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
1937pickup

Default Re: VanPelt 47 Tranny Rebuild

Looks like great work and keeping you in the "loop." It makes me want to pull my transmission and have Mac redo it before he runs out of those NOS parts. His knowledge is second to none with these old Ford transmissions.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
Lawrie

Once again,how lucky are we to suppliers like this to help keep our old rockets alive.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #4
corvette8n

Wow, that's a very good blow by blow account of a rebuild, he does nice work.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
edhd58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
Once again,how lucky are we to suppliers like this to help keep our old rockets alive.
Lawrie

The question is, how much longer will all this knowledge be here to help all us less knowledgeable. We should all appreciate these guys and women very much.
edhd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
oldford2

Well, Mac is a great support to all Ford guys trying to keep the hobby alive. BUT, don't forget... "behind every successful man, there is a strong woman". Give thanks that we have Shelly to keep Mac on the straight and narrow. Take a bow Shelly
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Well, Mac is a great support to all Ford guys trying to keep the hobby alive. BUT, don't forget... "behind every successful man, there is a strong woman". Give thanks that we have Shelly to keep Mac on the straight and narrow. Take a bow Shelly
John
That is some very amazing work. Can you imagine if even half of the people who repair things did work half that good and communicated half as well? That's quite something that that old 3 speed went to Alaska and back in that condition. It's even more amazing that Ol' Henry just did it like the rest of us were going to the grocery store.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #8
Drbrown

Many thanks for giving us a walk-through of the process and what problems may be discovered along the way.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #9
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
That is some very amazing work. Can you imagine if even half of the people who repair things did work half that good and communicated half as well?
The pictures I shared were just a few of 48 that he sent me of everything he did.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #10
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
That's quite something that that old 3 speed went to Alaska and back in that condition. It's even more amazing that Ol' Henry just did it like the rest of us were going to the grocery store.
Not long after I restored the car my foot slipped off the clutch in the driveway and shattered the first/reverse slider gear. But, had to drive over the mountain on a scenic drive so went anyway without any first or reverse gear. It was a little tricky starting up the steep climb in second after stopping for pictures. First and reverse gears are highly overrated. Much can be done without having any at all.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #11
1927Tudor

Looks to be a well done, well finished job, with great documentation. Did you feel that the cost was reasonable?
1927Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Not long after I restored the car my foot slipped off the clutch in the driveway and shattered the first/reverse slider gear. But, had to drive over the mountain on a scenic drive so went anyway without any first or reverse gear. It was a little tricky starting up the steep climb in second after stopping for pictures. First and reverse gears are highly overrated. Much can be done without having any at all.
That might explain some of the clutch plate ware.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:49 AM   #13
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Well, Mac is a great support to all Ford guys trying to keep the hobby alive.

BUT, don't forget... "behind every successful man, there is a strong woman". Give thanks that we have Shelly to keep Mac on the straight and narrow. Take a bow Shelly

John

Lest we forget, without Shelly, most of us would not be here.

And thank you Ryan, for revvin' up The Barn

Of course....Thanks for sharing Old Henry's innards with us!
Old 04-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #14
Tim Ayers

Talk about customer service! Thanks for posting and thanks to MacVP for all that he does as well.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #15
Mike Mayer

Mac gave the transmission in my 53 a complete going over . I really don't know how it was when it was new , but my gut feeling is it is better now than it has ever been.
Mac is a wizard . I highly recommend him.
Mike Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #16
oldford2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post

For some that may not know it, Shelly was the original designer and owner of Ford Barn and ran it until Ryan took over.
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post

Word. Shelly & MacVP are the ultimate old Ford power couple.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #18
19Fordy

Looks like a great job.
We are grateful to have Mac in the "Barn.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #19
Jeff/Illinois

I only see one problem in this rebuild. Now, it's too nice to put back in the car it would look great displayed on a shelf in a retro 1930's-40's Ford Parts Dept.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #20
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1927Tudor View Post
Looks to be a well done, well finished job, with great documentation. Did you feel that the cost was reasonable?
The jury is still out on that one. So far, all I know is the cost of building the crate, shipping it to me and back, and the cost of the cluster gear. Nothing else.