Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2020, 07:38 AM   #1
Juggler

Default Flywheel install tip

Dear Old Dad has insisted I post a pic of his flywheel install tip using head studs as a guide. Again.

Here you go Dad

IMG_0802 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/101520315@N04/]
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: Flywheel install tip

Thanks for sharing your tip.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
kenparker

I use that tip regular. As a tip to a tip in order to make things evven easier. Cut one of the studs off abour 1" (or use one of the water nect studs). Holding a 65lb flywheel and stabbing two studs at the time can be challenging. One longer than the other makes it easier by only having to stab one stud at the time. My two cents. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
katy

Quote:
One longer than the other makes it easier by only having to stab one stud at the time. My two cents. ken
Good idea, thanks, katy
Old 05-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
LEM

I was able to remove the flywheel with this contraption I made. It’s a trailer Jack purchased from Harbor freight modified.I was just not comfortable with removing the 65 pound chunk of metal by hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2513D775-96DA-46EE-B72A-9F5D1EB3AE13.jpg (43.8 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg E0C0EAA2-E9CC-4030-9E5D-AD52E6AE1134.jpg (48.7 KB, 161 views)
LEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #6
kenparker

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
i like that idea.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
60ch

Please say thanks to your dad for me.
Terry
60ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #8
Synchro909

Between those two ideas, remove/replace the flywheel will be a snap.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:38 AM   #9
Richard in Anaheim CA

Dear old Dad has still got it.

Take him out to breakfast when the diners open up.

Richard
Anaheim CA (An old dad)
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:40 AM   #10
Juggler

Yep he still has some good ideas. And some sketchy ones

We found that the timing gear was beginning to let go on the recently installed 'test' engine going into the long term '30 Roadster project. Couldn't get the well used cam nut spanner to get good purchase on the equally well used cam nut.

So he came up with this

IMG_0831

IMG_0835

So a finest quality Harbour Freight ratchet strap around the top of the block putting all sorts of tension on a tyre lever pivoting on the back of the front cross member onto a socket pinning the cam nut socket home. A quick smack on the end of the ring spanner with a 14lb 'mawl' (a sledge hammer he liberated from a Canadian tugboat once in in his care) had the nut loose

This one should definitely be on the 'Do Not Try This At Home' list. I've told him if he wants to see his 81st birthday in June he's going to have to stop making what is effectively a medieval crossbow in the conservatory. He was quite safe though. He stood well back and made me hit it.

Seriously folks, don't do this. I'm buying him a new cam nut spanner and a cordless impact wrench for his birthday....

Stay safe

Juggs
Old 05-04-2020, 05:15 AM   #11
john charlton

The "mawl" in question was being used on the working deck of a tug when we were rigging for a towing job . A sailor used it to split a kentner shackle and a sliver came of the head of the mawl.. entering his hand . An accident report had to be filled in and I was instructed to toss the mawl overboard but I took it home instead .Liberated has a slightly dishonest ring about it but in this case I just gave it a new home and yes wear eye protection when doing heavy hitting !!!

John still in Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:15 AM   #12
Jim Brierley

I just use 1 head stud, with the thickest part ground down a little so the wheel slides past it easily. On cam nuts, I use an air impact wrench. They have to be really tight or they can loosen.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #13
daren007

Buy two bolts from your hardware store. Cut the heads off and cut screwdriver slots in them.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #14
History

I'm amazed at what some people can figure out to get rid of a problem, I'm talking about the successful attempts. I was trying to get a gimbal bearing out of a boat. It was at my dads and I worked for a few hours without the proper tools in an attempt to remove it. My dad had told me what to do with makeshift tools to remove it. I went in his house frustrated and he asked if I'd gotten it out. I can't remember what I said but essentially NO. My mom gave me a drink of something and I sat down (really frustrated) and she got me on something else. I didn't even notice my dad go outside. He came back in about 5 minutes later holding the bearing, I have no idea how he did it. Of course he was proud of his accomplishment. Since that day I really started to pay attention to how he did things and learned, I could break an anvil with a feather and he could fix it with almost nothing. He's gone now but every now and then when my son is frustrated trying to do something, I get to act like my dad.

Get him the Milwaukee cordless impact battery powered 1/2" 1400 ft lbs of take off torque. I just got a set impact screw/nut driver and 1/2" drill. That 1/2" drill is stronger than anything I've ever used. The batteries will work in many tools so I plan on getting the impact wrench I mentioned above. I watched a video of a guy trying his out on a large rubber tire loader with about twenty lug nuts. He removed all but the last one and it had been sitting outside for years. They make a 3/4 also, don't know specs on it but air impact is becoming a thing of the past.

Dads are awesome and older dads even more. Tell your dad he's awesome and that contraption he made to loosen that nut looks mighty familiar.

Last edited by History; 05-05-2020 at 07:53 AM.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #15
Juggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post

Get him the Milwaukee cordless impact battery powered 1/2" 1400 ft lbs of take off torque. I just got a set impact screw/nut driver and 1/2" drill. That 1/2" drill is stronger than anything I've ever used. The batteries will work in many tools so I plan on getting the impact wrench I mentioned above. I watched a video of a guy trying his out on a large rubber tire loader with about twenty lug nuts. He removed all but the last one and it had been sitting outside for years. They make a 3/4 also, don't know specs on it but air impact is becoming a thing of the past.
Ha yes he's awesome. Never hesitates to remind me should I forget or doubt

I've been looking at the DeWalt version which are readily available here in UK.

Milwaukee you don't see so much here, but yes will get a 1/2 drive with the same torque, but in N.m.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #16
goodcar

Whatever works to get the old style timing gear nut off is ok, just get it off and replace with a modern one. Regarding Harbour Freight, I've always shopped there for the prices and seems like they have things you can't readily find anyplace else BUT now after this Chinese COVID situation, I will never set foot in Harbour Freight again. I know you can't buy much of anything anymore that doesn't come from China but will do my best to try to try to avoid their products.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote