Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
53_mercLuke

Default 12 volt conversation 6 volt overdrive

So I just converted my 6 volt system to 12 volt but I still have the 6 volt overdrive system. My question is can I still run the 6 volt solenoid and relay on my 12 volt? I know it's not recommended, but the 12 volt parts are alittle spendy for me right now. I have read on here and the HAMB that people have had luck running both for years and some have only had a few months worth of luck with running the 6 volt system, I have also read that I CAN'T run the 6 volt parts on the 12 volt system. Thanks for any help and information
53_mercLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 12 volt conversation 6 volt overdrive

How about something like this to drop the voltage for the overdrive components? It says it's good for 10 amps continuous, which should be enough to operate the the momentary overdrive components. I make a device that runs a 12 volt negative ground tachometer on 6 volts positive ground, so I have some experience with solid-state voltage converters and have found them to be reliable. The price ain't bad, either. https://www.amazon.com/Electric-12-V...oltage+reducer
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:00 AM   #3
fortyonerag

My only issue with using resistors to provide voltage drop is that the drop they provide is dependant on the current draw of the circuit (if the current varies, so will the voltage drop).

Solenoids are pretty steady, so to check that 1 Ohm resistance is enough, determine the current draw of the solenoid. Ohm's law (V = I X R) can then be used to work out the voltage drop across the resistor.

As an example, at 5A draw, a 1 Ohm resistor will account for a drop 5 V off the 12V leaving you with effective 7V at the solenoid.

A spinoff of Ohm's law is P = I X I X R meaning you will also be consuming 25W of power as heat in the resistor, so just remember it's going to get warm.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:26 AM   #4
flatheadmurre

You can use a resistor in series wth the solenoid but you need to change the relay to 12v.
If you put the resistor in the feed to the circuit the relay will see 12v everytime itīs activated since resistor wonīt drop enough voltage until the solenoid is activated.
Why doesnt the resistor drop the voltage for the relay then ??...itīs all about ohms law...the coil of the relay takes less then an amp in current draw so until the solenoids load is added to the circuit the resistor drops less then a volt.
Switched power supplies DC-DC converters are dirtcheap today...but you need to know what current it will take....and you need to ad an external capacitor to deal with peak current draw of the coil...besides that a resistor is way more bullet proof...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
Kahuna

Just do it right & buy the 12 volt unit
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote