Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Brobrian

Red face King Pin Reamer Needed

Gentlemen,
Do any of you have the long reamer used to properly ream the bushings for the king pins? If so, would you be willing to lend it to me? I figure I could pay for shipping from here to Mars and back more cheaply than paying the $150+tax+shipping that Snyders is asking.
If not, it's okay. I can pay for the tool. I do have two A's and may use it again someday.

Just to give you fellows something to read:
I decided to try to tighten the steering on my '28 Coupe. Bought the parts to redo the kingpins after detecting an ever-so-slight bit of play. The kit came with new bushings which, without a reamer, I decided I would NOT replace. I mean, who knows how easily the old ones would come out or whether I could press the new ones in or what other can of worms I might open in the process. But this morning I was tinkering around and, well just couldn't help myself. I gave the bushings a little tap, then another and before I could stop myself they more or less just popped out Then the new ones went in well also. So here I am like a coyote with his foot in a trap. Gotta have a reamer.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: King Pin Reamer Needed

take the spindles and pins to your local machine shop and have them honed to fit...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Ulysses6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
take the spindles and pins to your local machine shop and have them honed to fit...
Should you have the axle done, at the same time ?
Ulysses6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
John Duden

i used a brake slave cylinder rebuild hone, worked pretty well just went very slowly
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
redmodelt

There are no bushings in the axle so no need. the bushing are only in the spindle.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Bob C

X2 for taking them to a machine shop and having them honed.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
Patrick L.

Yep, what Mitch said. Thats easier and cheaper.
Both bushings need to be done together.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
There are no bushings in the axle so no need. the bushing are only in the spindle.

I have a friend that is an ex-mechanic that swears his 1950 F1 has 8 king pin bushings. He insists that king pins have bushings in the spindle and the axle. And, there just ain't no convincing him otherwise.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
colin1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Duden View Post
i used a brake slave cylinder rebuild hone, worked pretty well just went very slowly
John
How did you align upper and lower bushes
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Pinstripe

The time it takes to have it honed at a machine shop will be well worth it.
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
Brobrian

Okay, thanks, Guys.
Just trying to borrow a tool. I like to do things myself, if possible. There's plenty out there I can't do. Went down to the Harley shop and was able to learn to use a hone to do the job. Left side turned out brilliant. Tomorrow, I'll tackle the other.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobrian View Post
Okay, thanks, Guys.
Just trying to borrow a tool. I like to do things myself, if possible. There's plenty out there I can't do. Went down to the Harley shop and was able to learn to use a hone to do the job. Left side turned out brilliant. Tomorrow, I'll tackle the other.
I commend you for attempting to do those things that you are capable of. Some things should be done by experts but many common tasks can easily be performed in our own garages with assistance from others. After all that is one of the prime reasons we bought a Model A, to enjoy it before, during and after the ride. Keep up the good work Bro !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
jimvette59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I have a friend that is an ex-mechanic that swears his 1950 F1 has 8 king pin bushings. He insists that king pins have bushings in the spindle and the axle. And, there just ain't no convincing him otherwise.
Patric L if there are bushings in the axle then it was repaired at one time. I've done a few in the past but made steel bushings to fit the king pin.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
Charles Reese

admire your 'can do' spirit .. for me half the fun of the journey ... and god knows plenty of folks have "paid it forward" to me!

happy to loan my original reamer. how time sensitive is it? VA to CA would take some time and xmas shipping could be a nightmare. wanna wait till new year so they can loose it at their normal pace?

Last edited by Charles Reese; 12-20-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvette59 View Post
Patric L if there are bushings in the axle then it was repaired at one time. I've done a few in the past but made steel bushings to fit the king pin.

He is convinced this is how Henry built them. No convincing him otherwise.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #16
Bob C

This video shows how it is done the right way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-LlAAwnFcA

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hone.jpg (32.1 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by Bob C; 12-20-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #17
tbirdtbird
BANNED

There was a very interesting article in the Restorer many many yrs ago. The writer had somehow stumbled onto the machinist who had machined up the first Model A prototype rear end for Henry to use as a springboard for production. Henry recognized the superb skills the guy had and gave him a roadster off the line fairly early on. The guy was very moved by this and never drove the car. The writer wanted to do kingpin bushings and wanted to borrow a long reamer for this. The guy said he didn't have one. He told him to just remove one bushing from the spindle. The upper wears more than the lower, so he said remove the upper. Press in the new bushing. Ream with a regular reamer, the lower bushing acting as a guide. Then go ahead with the other bushing. While this method may not be 1000% accurate, it has always worked for me, surprisingly well.

I have long since misplaced this article, but those of you with an extensive library of Restorer magazines will be able to find it. It would go back approx 25-35 yrs ago. The entire story made for a very good read. Maybe one of you will be able to locate it and post the issue.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reese View Post
admire your 'can do' spirit .. for me half the fun of the journey ... and god knows plenty of folks have "paid it forward" to me!

happy to loan my original reamer. how time sensitive is it? VA to CA would take some time and xmas shipping could be a nightmare. wanna wait till new year so they can loose it at their normal pace?
Charles, that is indeed a very kind gesture on your part and you should be commended for it. Obviously not a first for you !
Wayne
Old 12-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #19
Brobrian

Red face Re: King Pin Reamer Needed

Quote:

You know, Charles, there is NO time sensitivity on this one. Send it when you wish. I'm currently driving my "31 pickup to work while I have the coupe front end apart. How cool will it be to borrow a tool from the other side of the country! I'll PM you with my address and when I return your tool, I'll include the cash for postage both ways. How's that?
Look for my PM.

Blessings,
Brian
Old 12-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #20
Richard Lorenz

Some years ago the reamers sold for this job were too large. It was only about 0.002 inches too large, but that is too much. That is why so many are recommending honing.
Richard Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #21
1939 pickup truck

Fellowship, camaraderie, respect, trust, and a sense of humor are key to life...
So it takes a bit of time to get it done... but the story is the best part of it all...
I also appreciate the machine shop video presentation, the way to go if you can..
This begs a question to you who have seen them, "Royal King Pin Kits" for $$$
Seems one can fit needle bearings into an original axil set up with special pins...
Anybody seen one of these installed, worth additional cost, clever idea & maker.
~"T"~
1939 pickup truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #22
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
There was a very interesting article in the Restorer many many yrs ago. The writer had somehow stumbled onto the machinist who had machined up the first Model A prototype rear end for Henry to use as a springboard for production. Henry recognized the superb skills the guy had and gave him a roadster off the line fairly early on. The guy was very moved by this and never drove the car. The writer wanted to do kingpin bushings and wanted to borrow a long reamer for this. The guy said he didn't have one. He told him to just remove one bushing from the spindle. The upper wears more than the lower, so he said remove the upper. Press in the new bushing. Ream with a regular reamer, the lower bushing acting as a guide. Then go ahead with the other bushing. While this method may not be 1000% accurate, it has always worked for me, surprisingly well.

I have long since misplaced this article, but those of you with an extensive library of Restorer magazines will be able to find it. It would go back approx 25-35 yrs ago. The entire story made for a very good read. Maybe one of you will be able to locate it and post the issue.
This is a first. tbirdtbird and I have disagreed on several occasions in the past, but this time I agree with him. Must be Christmas or something. I used the same technique several times when renewing the bushes in a Velocette motorcycle swinging arm. (Velocettes were one of the few to use phosphor bronze bushes in this way.)

All the best of the season to all.

Ian
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:53 PM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

Our club has a reamer in the club tool kit for the members to use.

If you mail anything, be sure to use Fed Ex or UPS if you don't want the tool to get lost or damaged. The post office has lost two of my recent purchaces, and damaged a third. Either I'm on their hit list, or they have an extremely bad track record.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:39 AM   #24
Henry1953

I just finished replacing these bushings on my 30 coupe. The reamer from Snyders did a perfect job and is was very easy. The finished job has absolutely no play. Steering is much improved with the shims under the king pin bearing. I didn't know to do this 20 years ago.
Henry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:53 AM   #25
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Our club has a reamer in the club tool kit for the members to use.

If you mail anything, be sure to use Fed Ex or UPS if you don't want the tool to get lost or damaged. The post office has lost two of my recent purchaces, and damaged a third. Either I'm on their hit list, or they have an extremely bad track record.
Tom. I totally agree with your suggested mailing procedure. I am waiting for a starter for my 31 Chev that was sent 3 weeks ago by regular mail. Even though I sent money required for UPS the sender decided to save me money and sent it regular mail. Hopefully tomorrow will see it arrive. Wayne
Old 12-21-2014, 02:10 AM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Tom. I totally agree with your suggested mailing procedure. I am waiting for a starter for my 31 Chev that was sent 3 weeks ago by regular mail. Even though I sent money required for UPS the sender decided to save me money and sent it regular mail. Hopefully tomorrow will see it arrive. Wayne
Where does the tracking # say it is?
Old 12-21-2014, 02:38 AM   #27
CarlG

Quote:
Gentlemen,
Do any of you have the long reamer used to properly ream the bushings for the king pins? If so, would you be willing to lend it to me? I figure I could pay for shipping from here to Mars and back more cheaply than paying the $150+tax+shipping that Snyders is asking.
If not, it's okay. I can pay for the tool. I do have two A's and may use it again someday...
Isn't owning a Model A basically an excuse to buy more tools?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:58 AM   #28
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Where does the tracking # say it is?
Tracking number says enroute / in transit between pickup and first postal station and has not changed in 3 weeks. Wayne
Old 12-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Tracking number says enroute / in transit between pickup and first postal station and has not changed in 3 weeks. Wayne
That's exactly the case with the wire terminals I ordered a month ago.

I know I'll never see the taillight I bought on ebay 3 months ago, that the mailman dropped off in the neighbor's mailbox. Too bad the neighbor was dumb enough to stick it back in the mail. Too mistakes sure has it lost forever now.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #30
caboose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Isn't owning a Model A basically an excuse to buy more tools?
And parts!
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #31
BigJohn

I have a Reamer, used on two spindles.
I live in Northridge. Me and E-Mail with your phone #.
GrandPaJohn
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #32
Brobrian

Thumbs up Re: King Pin Reamer Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
I have a Reamer, used on two spindles.
I live in Northridge. Me and E-Mail with your phone #.
GrandPaJohn
Thank you, GrandPaJohn, Charles is sending me one from, well, somewhere on the far side of the country. I'll keep you in mind if something happens.

I agree, Gentlemen, a Model A is a great excuse to acquire tools and parts! Every time a delivery truck rolls down our street I get excited and ask myself if I've ordered any parts.

Not sure why I choose to ask to borrow one this time, but I still think it's cool to be sharing this tool with someone clear across the continent, just because we both are A men.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #33
Charles Reese

posted just now. FedEx tracking #780163210320 .... now cross our fingers!!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #34
Brobrian

Charles,
Wow, that was quick! Thank you. Maybe I will be able to do the right side before I have to go back to work.

By the way, is the pickup in your avatar yours? I looked at your profile but didn't find any pics of your A.

I too looked at the video of the guy honing the spindle. That's how we did it in the Chopper Place yesterday. Our hone was not long enough to do both bushings at once, but with a little care it turned out perfectly.

I'm looking forward to using the reamer. Since I have two A's now, and will likely have my Dad's too at some point, it'll be nice to compare the techniques. Before I took it to the Harley shop, I tried two different machine shops. One guy wanted $50 for each spindle, the other one wouldn't touch it. Seems most shops these days are either completely dedicated to engine rebuilding, or are big production shops uninterested in little tasks like this.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #35
Fullraceflathead

Quote:
Gentlemen,
If not, it's okay. I can pay for the tool. I do have two A's and may use it again someday.

Just to give you fellows something to read:
I decided to try to tighten the steering on my '28 Coupe. Bought the parts to redo the kingpins after detecting an ever-so-slight bit of play. The kit came with new bushings which, without a reamer, I decided I would NOT replace. I mean, who knows how easily the old ones would come out or whether I could press the new ones in or what other can of worms I might open in the process. But this morning I was tinkering around and, well just couldn't help myself. I gave the bushings a little tap, then another and before I could stop myself they more or less just popped out Then the new ones went in well also. So here I am like a coyote with his foot in a trap. Gotta have a reamer.
Hello Brian,
We are both in the same Boat, looking for this reamer.
I too live in Riverside. I'm new to Model A's but have been around Muscle Cars and Drag Racing all my Life. I do have many tools along with a Lathe and a Mill. Let me know if you think you may need to make something. If you want to swap Model A stories sometime PM me.
Do you ever make the "Old Farts Car Club" first Friday of the Month Car Show at the Farmer Boys on Van Buren? I had my 1928 Model A Roadster Pick up there last November.
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #36
Charles Reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lorenz View Post
Some years ago the reamers sold for this job were too large. It was only about 0.002 inches too large, but that is too much. That is why so many are recommending honing.
still in original packaging, which appears to be at least as old as me , states 13/15" ... 'for Model A ...." on box. Hopefully this will meet his needs.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #37
redmodelt

People have been reaming the spindle bushings for years and years now we must hone them or all is lost! The spindle only turns a few degrees each way, it's not a shaft turning in the bushing. I'll just keep reaming them with original period reamers.
(My OP)If you don't have a stepped reamer then doing one side at a time is the way to go. If it's stepped then both bushing can be replaced then reamed.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #38
George Miller

Quote:
still in original packaging, which appears to be at least as old as me , states 13/15" ... 'for Model A ...." on box. Hopefully this will meet his needs.
I think that should be 13/16 that would .812
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #39
Brobrian

Got the steering column and the spindle reassembled today. Tight as a tick. Can't wait to finish up and see if the wobble is eliminated. I do love to drive this car.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:25 PM   #40
Charles Reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
13/15 ths ??

How many elevenths of an inch is that equal to?
OK, OK busted!! between bifocals and fat fingers, missed the '6' ... should read 13/16" ... now folks can sleep better
Old 12-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #41
larrys40

Brian

Sounds like you have one on the way
It probably won't put them exactly where they need to be but may be close
Some have recommended reaming like on a sunnen pin hone
I highly recommend this... You may want to contact some other model a or flathead v8 guys in your area . Usually someone is the machinest go to guy .

I have one and it is invaluable and necessary for getting a perfect fit
Just thought I'd throw out the fact if searching out to any old ford clubs in your area ... Heck even Chevy guys ! Did I really say that!
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #42
billwill

Buy a brake cyl hone and hone them youtself good luck
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #43
calvin amerson

don,t have a regulator reamer do have an adjustable one I used to ream mine just have to be careful will gladely let you use it just let me know
calvin amerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:53 AM   #44
Fullraceflathead

Quote:

Hello Charles,
Brian and me both were able to use your reamer to Properly Ream our King Pin Bushings the Right way. THANKS!!! I have a 1928 Roadster Pickup that had an Inch of play at the top of the tire when moving it in and out while off the ground. I've never seen King Pin Bushing this loose before, ever!
I really appreciate you loaning your Reamer out to Help two Californians fix their Model A's the Right way.
THANKS AGAIN!!!
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #45
Charles Reese

package with bushing reamer arrived safely in today's mail. glad you guys were able to find it useful. wish i could get 'frequent flyer' miles for its cross country trip (VA-CA-VA) best wishes for your restorations!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #46
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Hope there was Tim Hortons or Starbucks card attached to it when it returned. You are a kind and generous man Charles and should be commended ! ( lol ). Wayne
Old 01-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #47
Brobrian

And we thank you. It was fun to borrow a tool from clear across the country. I even had to look up where Richmond VA, was since I hadn't paid much attention in History.
Now the car is wobble-free and I'm back to trying to get my carb to work properly. Always something with there cars.
Still like to see pics of your PU.