Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Brobrian

Default Flywheel and Balance

I know, I know, the flywheel discussion is thoroughly covered, but just lend some advice. I've read the threads on lightening the flywheel, and a bit about fitting a V8 clutch. Wow, what a discussion. I'm always impressed by the level of detail and depth of knowledge.
So, I have a rebuilt engine ready for a swap into my 31 PU. The rebuild was done decades ago so I have no idea whether the crank was balanced. Nor do I know how to go about balancing it, and it was mentioned several times in the threads that this is essential if the flywheel is lightened.
Do I have to send the whole engine and flywheel to a model A engine builder (Most seem to be back east)? If so, I'm thinking I'll just pull one engine and put in the other without lightening the flywheel.
Is balancing and aligning the crank and flywheel assembly something a local engine builder would likely be able to do just as well? Or maybe there are special considerations only Model A builders would know. What do you pros think?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
J and M Machine

Default Re: Flywheel and Balance

BroBrian: You have the flywheel and clutch balanced together and it will be a big improvement. If the engine hasn't been balanced and it was done decades ago then the chance of having a good engine rebuild inside might be questionable.
J and M Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
PC/SR

Balancing is something that can be done locally, is not specific to Model As. Call around, or get references to a good auto machine shop. There are also shops that specialize in cranks. Should not be a problem in your area.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

I bought a model B flywheel at a swap meet for forty dollars. The B flywheel is lighter and makes a noticeable difference in throttle response and acceleration. It also allows for smoother gear shifts without all of the extra weight pushing from the heavier model A flywheel. It takes a load off the main bearings. The B flywheel uses the same clutch as the model A and bolts right up with no modifications. You can probably find a B flywheel for less than what it will cost to lighten and balance the A flywheel. You won't run the risk of a botched up job as we have all heard of. Try Berts in Denver on tuesday 800-321-1931.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Brobrian

Cool, that's kinda what I was hoping for. Do you also have the HC head along with the lighter model B flywheel? I have a Snyder HC head on the coupe, but it has a stock flywheel.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Yes, I run a 5.9 head with the B flywheel and dual updrafts on this one. A model B flywheel will help any model A whether they have other mods or not. I don't believe that there is a single bad side effect when using the B flywheel.

Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote