Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
my4dv8

Default Melling M19 oil pump

There seems to be a raft of M19 mellings 42 to later type oil pumps on Ebay . Do they claim to be Melllings or are they actually that . What are folks thoughts on quality of these pumps .

Last edited by my4dv8; 10-13-2020 at 01:35 PM.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
KiWinUS

Default Re: Melting M19 oil pump

Bryan I have used the Melling M19 numerous times with zero issues. They had melling cast into them. All were purchased off eBay but quite some time back.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:28 PM   #3
petehoovie

Does Melling have any competition???

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
Ronnieroadster

Be careful when looking at those pumps on Ebay. If the pump is truly a Melling M-19 the gear cover will have the M-19 cast into it and the cover bolts will not have a metric size on them. There's import knock offs of the melling pump these cheap imports will have a blank gear cover and the four bolts will have the metric size on the heads.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:31 AM   #5
my4dv8

Thanks guys , thats what i was asking about knock offs . Often with an auction image you have no way of know knock off from the real deal . As @KiWinUS said he got his from a trustworthy ebay vendors while ago ,who now would be???? But I have a few tips to go on now.
Sorry if I seem sceptical of so many “melling” named pumps . But why fit a lemon without proper knowledge.

Last edited by my4dv8; 10-13-2020 at 12:37 AM.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
Ol' Ron

I quit using Melling Pumps 40 years ago, more trouble than they're worth. They may have improved them, but I'll stick with the original.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

I've used Melling M19 oil pumps for 20 years with no problems. I've personally put nearly 40k miles on my '35 fordor sedan that uses a Melling M19....not to be confused with the Melling M15 high volume, high pressure oil pump that's best suited for racing engines with greater than normal bearing clearances. I would definitely not suggest using any of the knock off Melling oil pumps available from various sources.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:39 PM   #8
flatjack9

I agree with Ron.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
tubman

I don't know about Melling, but avoid aftermarket pumps like the plague. On my last build, I used a Speedway Motors pump to save a few bucks. The engine started right up and ran fine, but would idle at 15 psi hot and max out at 40 psi. That's OK I guess, but not what I'm used to. I sent some original pumps to "flatjack9" above, and he graciously tested them for me. They all tested good, so I used the one that I knew was from a low mileage engine. After I installed it, I got 25 psi hot idle and a max between 55 and 60, which is what I am used to.

The only problem is I now have a slight leak at the rear main seal that was bone dry before. I gues you can't re-use seals no matter how careful you are.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote